New Warlord Player

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Boards.

If your boys have a specific faction (army) in mind, I'd suggest picking up a starting set ($39.95) for each of them. If they just want to play, get yourself the Deluxe Army Box ($69.95).

Starter Box Sets

From there I'd suggest getting a Captain or Sergeant and about 6 (2 blisters) grunts for their second troop. After that it's always a good thing to get a Solitaire.

Personal Message me if you have any further questions.

With Warlord, can you have 30-40 troop armies on a side ??

Warlord is a skirmish game, so the normal sized armies are about 15-25 models, depending on which faction you're using. A game this size takes about an hour to an hour and a half to play out.

They have about $220 to spend.

That should be more than enough to get them each an army and a copy of the rulebook to share.

With Warlord, can you have 30-40 troop armies on a side ??

I have a 4 x 8 table with terrain.

Yes, they can certainly play with 30-40 models each. ^_^

The game scales very well from small skirmish games to large wars.

At origins, I played a huge game with over 50 models per side. It lasted about 4 hours. :B):

Warlord is the better choice than Warhammer when you have a set budget! While you could get a bunch of cheaper grunts with Warhammer, you'll quickly go over budget buying leaders and elites. With Warlord, all models are priced according to cost to produce, with no surcharge for leaders.

Go with Warlord, and your boys will have a very nice sized army and you'll still be within budget. ::D:

while not being simple, warlord is a bit easier to lear and play. warlord also has the advantage in the fact that you're not going to have to buy who knows how many books to get brought up to speed on all of the rules changes that have occured since it's last release.

warlord also has the army lists for all of the factions right in the main rulebook.

200 bucs isnt going to go very far in warhammer especially if it 200 bucs to be spent on 2 armies.

70 bucs will get you 2 decent warlord forces.

i think what i'm getting at is get them into warlord... :)

FYI... ive run demos to plenty of kids from about 10 up.

after a couple of helpful games from dad to clarify the mechanics(if they even need it) they shouldnt have any problems at all.

I would buy each a starter army and one rule book, which would take about half your budget. If they are happy with the Necropolis (Undead) and Crusaders (Goody Two Shoe Knight types) you can get the deluxe starter. Once they play a bit they could make better choices picking out more troops.

Castlebuilder

oh and keep in mind that anything that you buy will never truly go to waste even if you decide you want to change factions.

you could create a freelancer force and in a freelance army you can use any mini from any faction so long as you dont mix good and evil...

listen to sivrel, the kitty knows her stuff.

i say get a vast diversity of models for the two factions you pick for them. it is far better to have that ta have lines of similar troops.

at least it is in warlord... but it's also alot more fun to paint a bunch of different looking guys.