beta games today

Spartan6

When you start getting inside the 1/2 and 1/4 ranges and start mixing in some ESM and Deflect and Hunter and PBG and who know's what else, there starts to be a LOT of modifiers really quick. There was a certain amount of confusion a couple times as we figured and refigured RAV's and DV's with all that mess going on.

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems the shorter the ranges get the harder the game gets. :lol: Are there too many modifiers? Thoughts?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I am NOT a fan of the 1/2 and 1/4 range modifiers, but I'm not sure how to change it.... maybe a single "short range" modifier?

The modifiers do stack up really quick at 6" and less.. ok you are Stealthed in the woods with Deflect but I'm Hunter with PBG and friendly ESM...is that CAV the one with upgraded armor?? :lol:

Jamie

Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it. I defintely took advantage of the short range stuff recently with my Wizzo and Run and Gun situation with my platoon of Rhino, 2 Tigers, and a Cougar that was doing a scan for Target.

Those close range mods are probably a little overkill against smaller units, but almost a necessity against the Supers. Trying to crack the Emporer from range is a major headahce. But, get the wolfpack up close and they could gang up and take it out. Now the Emporer was guaranteed a hit back as it had many of the same mods back at me, but at least it was only the single defensive shot verses a full offensive salvo.

I like the rules. Cause it is one of the few things in the game that actually promotes movement. Otherwise, as also done in my game, I just had a platoon of indirect lobbers providing support on the field by sitting back, doing a scan and plunking things from range, never moving.

If you twisted my arm and said you had to change it, then I might say combine them into one close range modifier, but I would not get rid of it.

The short-range mods are a godsend when you're trying to get a Rhino out of heavy woods. (Sure, I spent two Dictators doing it, but it had to be done.)

I am having trouble remembering who has Deflect (and, correspondingly, who has PBG), since I've never been good at rote memorization (though it will come with practice, I'm sure). Spartan6 makes a good point that it gets even worse with upgrades. While I don't think going back to the WYSIWYG modelling limitations, I'm trying to think of some way to discreetly mark the base to remind everyone what the model has, ability-wise.

I am having trouble remembering who has Deflect (and, correspondingly, who has PBG), since I've never been good at rote memorization

Here's what you do Joel. Go to the grocery store and find one of those gumball machine's w/the toys in them. Camp out there and wait for kids to come buy something, then ask them for the plastic egg thing that the toy comes in. Do this until you've got about a dozen of them. Alternately you could buy the toys yourself, but the money would be better spent on a new CAV or some paints. :poke:

Anyways, once you've got enough of them, take the smaller bottom half and toss it in the garbage. Then take the larger bubble half and place them on top of all of your opponent's models that have deflect, to represent the force field.

For PGG's, bring a green or blue marker (your choice) and when your opponent goes to buy a pop or takes a restroom break, color in the barrel tips of all of his PBG models. Now you can just glance at the table top and see what all of his models are equipped with! :lol:

THis is why I really like the "collectable" data Cards in warlord. A quick glance at the corasponding card tells me everything I need to know about the model. Now if only someone would make a program like CAV-RC that would add all the upgrades bonuses and extra equipment to a data card and I'd be setting.

Laugh, but I'm serious. We just put up fingers for the RAV and all the positive modifiers, then took them down with the negative modifiers. I felt like a fool at first counting on my fingers, but it made it really easy. So I'm going to build some kind of abacus-like instrument to use for counting target numbers for cav.

We count with fingers, too. I'm just trying to figure out a way for one person to calculate the target number (modified DV) without needing the other person to pitch in with the stuff only shown on their data card. While it does lead to frequent exchanges of "Deflect!" "PBG!" "Damn!", it just strikes me as somehow inelegant. It's not vital, since weapons fire isn't simultaneous, freeing your opponent to fill in any missing data; I'm just thinking it would be nice. I just have to figure something out (that looks better than Chrome's suggestion :).

Laugh, but I'm serious. We just put up fingers for the RAV and all the positive modifiers, then took them down with the negative modifiers. I felt like a fool at first counting on my fingers, but it made it really easy. So I'm going to build some kind of abacus-like instrument to use for counting target numbers for cav.

That's the only way to play Heavy Gear. We also use the FCM (Finger Count Method) for combat resolution in Warhammer Fantasy. It just came naturally for CAV2.

Honestly I'm finding the Math with CAV2 much easier then figuring all the numbers in CAV1 and then figuring out diffrences.

See the problem for me is that I look at a model and its CAV 1 stats immediately pop into my head. Sure there's alot more of them, but we'd been using them for almost 4 years. Hell, after GenCon '02 I could recite the datacards for the Dictator and Rhino in my sleep! :wacko:

Laugh, but I'm serious. We just put up fingers for the RAV and all the positive modifiers, then took them down with the negative modifiers. I felt like a fool at first counting on my fingers, but it made it really easy.

I did exactly the same thing! :lol: