• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

See this is what I'm talking about. We blow it off because we love the game but what about newbies? Gladius is different, I knew a little modifier cipherin' wouldn't turn him off, but there are those people who it might.

I honestly do not have an idea about how to streamline it a little. You'se guys?

I'm simply going to use a highlighter to highlight the RAV column and the PBG SA. For Deflect, I'll highlight DV and the SA. Probably end up doing the same for Hunter, Shredder and some of the others too at first.

Another thing to think about is when you have a difficult string of modifiers like the one below

[Deflect+Close Range-Cover with PBG and any other mods that apply]

is that you could have Half Range cancel deflect and Quarter Range add +1RAV

Its a little less math at least, though Im not sure if it is easier or more difficult to do math or remember that one SA cancels another... or both.

I can see both sides of this quandry. I can do math pretty well and do sometimes get bogged down with situational mods and special abilities... but usually only a few times in a game. In CAV1 everything got added in the stats of the data card for each game that was played. It was pretty easy to keep track of things. In CAV2 the special abilities are at the bottom of the datacard and not built in.

I dont think it is a big enough issue to try to redesign game mechanics. An easy sollution may be to just have the defending player (when fired upon) announce which special abilities their unit has. The attacking player then lets them know which ones are relevant, modify the RAV and DV before the roll happens, and figure the result. It could go into the rulebook as an example of a combat action.

preFUNk

to me, it doesnt need to change at all.

As a battletech player, I am already use to having about 10 different things to account for. (attacker move, defender move, multiple guns each with multiple gun ranges - short, medium, long, terrain, damage mods, special weapon mods, etc...)

CAV has multiple guns, but for any one unit you only have to worry about one range and one RAV value. There is no movement factor. and the damage mods are built in to the data card RAV values, so really the only thing that compares is the special weapon mods.

No, I think the CAV system is set up just fine. People can come up with what works best for them to count 1s and 2s.

As a battletech player, I am already use to having about 10 different things to account for. (attacker move, defender move, multiple guns each with multiple gun ranges - short, medium, long, terrain, damage mods, special weapon mods, etc...)

Yes, but (so long as you're using movement dice) you can calculate it all yourself, without asking your opponent what "special features" are on your target. The math doesn't bother me one bit until I run out of fingers -- I'm just trying to come up with a non-silly, non-permanent way of making things that affect the to-hit # like deflect obvious from across the board.