Faction SAs in multiplayer games

The Necropolis and Nefsokar have faction special abilities that affect all models on the table simply by virtue of being there, namely Fear of Undeath and Sokar is Near. This is great in one-on-one battles.

It seems, however, that in large games with 5-6 players, it's a little silly for the Necropolis's Fear of Undeath or the Nefsokar's Sokar Is Near when the Necropolis or Nefsokar force is on the other side of the table, engaged in a completely different battle. Most other factions have SAs that only affect one or two models at a time, such as Mercy, Warcry, Jade Thorns, or even Pain Cage. At times, a global ability seems a little overpowering.

I remember that around Reapercon there was some discussion about limiting, say, Fear of Undeath to only the team or models specifically opposing the Necropolis, but I don't remember what the ruling was, or if it was just for that one event.

Thoughts? Discussions? I'd like to hear both the "It's supposed to affect everyone" and the "Limit it" thoughts.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetical. Situation is i'm in a two player game on a large table (one large enough for 5 or 6 players). Due to deployment and tactics the necros or sokari are flanking my position and the flank holder troop I planted at the extreme edge of my deployment is now several feet away from combat and far removed from any enemy force. Why would that unit be affected by those global powers? Are they [global faction abilities] an area of effect attack that radiates out from the central point of conflict where the Necropolis/Sokari are located or is the "dread/antimagic" or effect in place because the necropolis or sokari are simply on the battlefield and there is the potential there that the unit must face them?

We know the mechanics. That unit suffers under the necro or sokari powers. Clearly it's the latter. If that's the case, why not in the multiplayer game?

In our neck of the woods, we usually aren't playing with that many people unless we have a team thing going on. Like 3 on 3. At that point, every one of the opposing team members is subjected to the SAs. If you are unlucky enough to be facing both a Nefsokar and a Necropolis, heaven help you. ^_^

We also attempt a random team setup (just because) to hopefully minimize devastating army SAs all on one side. It doesn't always work, but it helps to keep complaining down that way.

If you are doing a 6 man free-for-all, I can definitely see an argument for saying that only the army currently facing the Necropolis or Nefsokar players would be affected.

Wild Bill :blues:

Or, I guess you could always make a house rule that says there is a true "radius of effect" for the SA. It would add time to your game to determine who is and is not in that radius every turn, but it would atleast solve your problem, cause at any time either of those players could move their units to a point on the table that would affect multiple players, or they could move a certain direction that might be far enough away from one of the other players that they are not effected presently.

If you did that, I would think that the radius would still have to be something like 36"-48" atleast.

Test it and tell us the results...

I can see why the Sokari's ability would effect everyone on the table, b/c its an effect that Sokar is placing on everyone in the vicinity.

I don't see how some Elves, fighting an Overlord force on one end of the table, would be afraid of the Necro forces that are squared off against the Dwarves on the other end. Yet. When the elves turn their attentions to the Necros, or the Necros attack the Elves, that's when that power should kick in.

We know the mechanics. That unit suffers under the necro or sokari powers. Clearly it's the latter. If that's the case, why not in the multiplayer game?

For balance purposes; in a normal game you must field all models from a single faction to gain the Faction Special Ability.

When we do multiplayer, it becomes a moot point, as we use a scenario called The Enemy Of My Enemy, which specifies (among other things) that faction abilities that indirectly effect the enemy apply only when the relevant faction is directly interacting. This was most clearly around when two Crusaders went up against Nefsokar and Necropolis. Crusaders effectively lost their special ability, while simultaneously becoming the lucky recipients of debuffing synergy.

Personally, I Freelance it anyway, so my team knows they get nothing from me regardless!

I can see why the Sokari's ability would effect everyone on the table, b/c its an effect that Sokar is placing on everyone in the vicinity.

I don't see how some Elves, fighting an Overlord force on one end of the table, would be afraid of the Necro forces that are squared off against the Dwarves on the other end. Yet. When the elves turn their attentions to the Necros, or the Necros attack the Elves, that's when that power should kick in.

couldnt it just as easily be explained as a "dreadful aura" placed on the battlefield due to the vicinity of so many undead?

you may not be fighting them but you can "feel" their presence...

Understandably, there are a bazillion *fluff* reasons both for and against global effects. I'm curious what other folks' opinions are on the *mechanics* impacts. I will be re-drafting The Enemy Of My Enemy, and would like to get input from players outside my normal group.

@Frosh- our current wording says roughly "Global effects only apply if the relevant faction is involved in the roll". The exact wording is on my main computer, which is headed for a ship with the rest of my household goods en route to America...

IIRC didn't they suspend the "Sokar is near" SA at the Warlord tournament at ReaperCon (which was a six-way free-for-all)? I am fairly sure they did, but I don't recall the exact reason behind it.

I've had games go so poorly for my Reven when our game league meets here at my house that I've actually blamed the nearness of Sokar for botching up my Warcrying, pointing out that Sokar was still hanging around from some previous game.