Reaper Paint Case - My Opinion

Otter

Sunday Dracos ran down to Games Plus and picked us up one of the brand-shiny-new Reaper paint cases.

We're disappointed, I'm afraid. My intention is not to whine or kvetch, but just to list the "whys", for both the other forum members and Reaper Peeps.

First (although these are in no particular order), the sections in the case hold 7 bottles of paint. I'm assuming that the section size was a result of the size of the ProPaint bottles, as it doesn't make sense when looking at only the RMS paints.

With the RMS paints organized in color triads, sections designed to hold 6 would have made a lot more sense. And, there's a lot of wasted space in there - you get two rows of 3 with the 7th in the center. Some of the center sections might take 8 bottles, if you really wedge them in, but the outer edges are tight with 7. I expect you could gain some slack by taking out dividers, but then when the case gets joggled while a couple bottles are out or a row isn't full, disarray will probably ensue.

The handle undercut seems like its going to be awfully small once the case is filled with paint.

The latches - in an earlier discussion on the sneak peek at the paint case, someone expressed concern. Well, as a certified Rubbermaid Junkie , I concur - I've had lots of different kinds of tackle, organizer, and whatnot boxes, and that's a hinge design that's going to fail sooner or later - the latch itself may hold, fine but the thin section of plastic that allows it to flex and open is going to go.

The hinges aren't bad, they don't rely on plastic flexing.

In an ideal world (assume a spherical cow at STP) I would have preferred a slightly shallower body and deeper lid so that the paints are taller than the box when open, but then you get into a tradeoff problem with the weight of the lid vs. hinge strength, and I won't argue with the decision Reaper made there.

If Reaper Peeps hadn't said otherwise, I would suspect that they shopped around and found a stock container that the paints would fit in and put a Reaper label on it - its just, so . . . blah. Its not terrible, but it could have been a lot better.

Dracos is a BL member, and is sorry that he won't be able to recommend the paint case. He won't be telling all and sundry not to buy it, but if someone asks about it, he feels that he has to give them his honest opinion - that there are better choices out there. (Why isn't he writing this himself? Because I'm the one in the family with better spelling and grammar)

In the end, we won't be moving our RMS paints into the case, and Dracos will be building dividers for a second case to match our first one - a tray of one-bottle dividers Dracos made up out of styrene from the model/hobby shop, that sits in a storage box like this one from Dick Blick (may actually be the next one larger or smaller).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what you say. I just got mine yesterday. It's just not up to Reaper Standards. It's difficult to close, you have to really pull on the lid so that the latches will get over a lip. There is alot of wasted space. I like having mine organized into triads, but doing that I'm losing out on alot of space. Mines full at 91 paints, save for 1 space, I'm screwed once I get the next 18. I either have to jam them in there, take some paints out, take out dividers, or shop for a new one. And quite frankly I'm thinking the last one right now.

Maybe Reaper could make one more Master Paints Specific. One divided such that each triad, or 2 or 3 triads have thier own compartment, no wasted space. Better handle and latches, although if they do ANY paintcases in the future I hope they do that last two anyways.

I'm sorry Reaper, but for the first time I can say that something of yours wasn't the best compared to what other people make. It's not the A+ that I expect from Reaper, more like a C.

I personally prefer to remove the outer sets of dividers and leave in the ones down the center - that way I can fit 15 in the each of the two larger sections (which is 5 triads) instead of 7 in each of 4 small section. It amounts to +6 bottles among those 3 rows.

As for 1 compartment per triad, that would have wasted a lot of space, and probably would not have been very efficient.

As for 1 compartment per triad, that would have wasted a lot of space, and probably would not have been very efficient.

I can't speak for Otter, or anyone else for that matter, but I think with how much Reaper has pushed the Triad idea, having a paint case that divides the paints into anything but triads is not smart. I know and understand you guys were trying to make a case that would also store pro paints, but I would prefer a case that housed my paints in sets of 2-3 triads without all the wasted space that I have now. And you are right, one triad per compartment would have only driven up costs and wasted alot of space, I personally would vote for 3 per compartment.

I'm just using the LL Bean shoe box from one of my wife's pairs of mocs. I can fit all 90 paints (9 bottles deep), my tin cup for rinsing, all my brushes, a palette, 2 4x4 ceramic tiles, a 4 oz bottle of gunk, several minis, brush on primer, and my Mastersons brush cleaner and preserver. I even have room to spare. All it cost me was a trip to LL Bean in Freeport while my wife bought a pair of shoes. ::D:

I behaved, so I got to go to Ben and Jerry's for some ice cream ^_^

I have the medium sized Akro-mills craft center. IT was $10 at the local Target. It holds all 90 paints with 1 traid per draw. This system isn't very portable but keeps everything nice and tidy. The bottom larger draws hold my Vallejo paints, mettalic paints, Artist pigments (for special effects), tiles for mixing, inks, and a few other bobs and bits.

• Reaper User

i think the case is fine, i really dont care if it divides them into triads or not, thats why i have eyes to see where the colors im looking for are, im all for more space over triad division, especially since it was designed to hold pro paints for those that use them as well

I also looked at the case at Games Plus and was very disappointed. First of all it has a very cheap look to it. It looks like any old tackle or organizational box that can be bought anyywhere. Second, it is too short to put Vellajo paints in. IMO, if Reapers goal was to see paint cases this is a very poor decision. If Reaper hoped I would toss my other brand paints just so I could use the Reaper carrying case, they are sadly mistaken.

I did not buy it and sadly was not even remotely tempted to. I agree that it is not up to their usual standards.

i just picked up a plano tackle case and it holds 6 bottles per bin at 4 bins across and 3 rows for a total of 72 paints with 6 in a bin(2 triads together isnt bad), all of this for 4 bucs.

the only thing it doesnt have is the handle and logo...

no logo on the reaper case either ::P:

overall I'm kinda mixed feelings toward the case. I like it & I don't.

it'll get it's first tryout this Saturday since were gonna be heading off to the Oregon coast & Portland for a week, so I'll be able to see if it's worth takin to ReaperCon next year.

I do know one thing, I do agree about the latches thou, those could have been a reinforced a tad bit, maybe even changed so it doesn't have the thin plastic where it bends, + a Red Reaper logo across the top of the lid would have been a nice cosmetic touch (then again I have an extra window sticker that'll put there).

I think I'm gonna spray the outside of the case thou, don't mind the clear but for travel I think I would rather have a non see through case.

Randy M

I got to play around with this case the day it comes out. As a Reaper fan boy, it was very painful for me to see how bad and useless this case was. With just a few minor tweaks, the case could have been AMAZING. All of those compartments are just a few millimeters too small to fit 9 bottles, so you have to squeeze 7 in per compartment. If the entire case could have been a little bit wider (less than an inch), and each compartment a few millimeters wider, the case would hold 30 more bottles of paint with no wasted space.

My first thought was "well, maybe they meant it for the Pro Paint line. No dice. I tried it with those too, with the same results - TONS of wasted space that could have been eliminated with just a few minor size adjustments keeping it from being amazing.

The saddest part? I was glad it had no Reaper logo on it, because as a Reaper Fan Boy I would have bought it just because it had a Reaper logo! ::o: