Reaper Paint Case - My Opinion

Otter

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

I dunno, I got one of these to take to the show and I like it just fine. Like Bryan, I remove the side reinforcers, leaving just the ones down the middle, and thus can fit five triads in each section, the 90 paints currently out in the six top sections. It'll hold the first 108 when the rest come out, and leave one compartment open for my water and gunk bottles and the mini o' the week. I put drops of paint on top of my bottle caps (what else is that little recessed part for?), so I can see actual color of the paint instead of the slightly-frosted "through the bottle" color.

I think the problem here is that people were expecting something like the deluxe sets that Vallejo and Adiken have put out. This isn't that. This is for people (like me, I'll tell you straight up) who don't want to have to waste their time going to their local tacklebox or hardware store to search for a box that fits their paints. I've done that before; I know what a time-sucker it can be. It's not meant to be the end-all be-all of Reaper paint cases. As for making minor modifications at this late date, I'm not even going to start in on how many tens of thousands of dollars one custom injection mold for plastics costs... But aside from that, even full of paint and three minis, mine carries fine with the recessed handle; I've already asked if we can arrange a kind of "bookstrap" carrying harness with a handle to carry two of 'em at a time for when the next 108 are out.

--Anne, who works for Reaper, yeah, but likes her paint case. :)

I think the problem here is that people were expecting something like the deluxe sets that Vallejo and Adiken have put out. This isn't that.

...snip...

It's not meant to be the end-all be-all of Reaper paint cases. As for making minor modifications at this late date, I'm not even going to start in on how many tens of thousands of dollars one custom injection mold for plastics costs...

Aha! That is a big part of the problem. In the The "What ISN'T Reaper Coming Out With" Thread, the paint case is referred to as the "Deluxe Paint Caddy" (including a post by Reaper Ron).

Reaper has trained us to have high expectations with their minis and the care they've been taking with Warlords. We see "Deluxe" and start to drool.

So, when we get what is more of a basic model paint case, yeah, that's probably where the disappointment is coming in.

I don't think anyone is really expecting Reaper to re-tool this paint case. (I know I'm not) Speaking for myself and Dracos, and making an educated guess as to others' thoughts, we're airing our opinions so that if Reaper comes out with another paint case or widget along these lines some day, they know the kinds of things that we do and don't like, and which details we think are important.

(for example, no one has said much about the overall dimensions, so that looks like a non-issue)

Second, it is too short to put Vellajo paints in.

:blink:

We are in competition with them, you know . . .

Yes, but most painters have multiple lines of paint. If you want to sell more carriers you think it would have been versatile enough to fit the vellajo paints. It would only need to be 1/8” of an inch taller. I could then carry all of my paints around. It seems like a simple business decision. Because I have 50+ Vellajo paints, I cannot use this paint transport case. IMO, you had an opportunity to capture the carrying case business for all dropper bottles, but instead you left the market open and left money on the table.

(for example, no one has said much about the overall dimensions, so that looks like a non-issue)

There have been many comments on dimensions adn the ability to store triad of paints in the compartments or 9 paints.

Yes, there have been comments about the dimensions of the interior divisions (and I was one of them), but that's not what I meant when I said the overall dimensions. I mean that no one has said anything like "its too freakin' big, it won't fit on my paint table" or "why isn't it big enough to carry 40-eleven-trillion bottles?"

I think the problem here is that people were expecting something like the deluxe sets that Vallejo and Adiken have put out. This isn't that. This is for people (like me, I'll tell you straight up) who don't want to have to waste their time going to their local tacklebox or hardware store to search for a box that fits their paints. I've done that before;

I've already asked if we can arrange a kind of "bookstrap" carrying harness with a handle to carry two of 'em at a time for when the next 108 are out. 

I have to agree with that statement, Anne, the Vallejo case is a very nice case but then again you can buy what 5 or so Reaper cases vs that one + your gettin more V paint as well (I was listening to what you said durin that Rcon class about ole Vallejo!!!! ::D: )

strap--SWAG POINTS, ha ha maybe with a Reaper logo on it or something, just a thought

like I said I can't comment on it all to much right now cause well right now it's sitting on the floor empty next to a Jacko box cup, but I'll be able to give it a run next week on my vacation.

one thing I'm thinkin of doin is tryin to add legs to the back, ie like a keyboard legs, so the case will 'stand up" on my desk, if that's the case I'll defeintly have a use for it, I like my painter 80 racks but the Two Towers on my desk could be put to better use I would think.

Randy M

Second, it is too short to put Vellajo paints in.

We are in competition with them, you know . . .

Yes exactly! If you don't make and sell a case that will hold our paints, then we'll have to go get one that does. You maybe in competition with Vallejo, but that has nothing to do with the case not holding thier paints. If I had a mix of both sets of paints, then obviously I can't buy your case, thus, someone else is getting my money.

All totaled, the Reaper paint case is better then say a tackle box. It holds my paints, they are organized into triads, so for now at least it's worth using. My opinion, and I know others will differ, that it should hold all 108 into compartments of 2 triads. And if it means adding width and height, fine by me. The size of it doesn't matter to me too much. If you think about it, if it holds all 108 only if you take the dividers out, how is that any differant then even a shoebox? In that case, Reaper is selling something that costs 20 bucks that is not much differant from a shoebox or tacklebox. If I am going to pay 20 bucks, I want something that will keep everything seperate and organized.

Things like a strap, a plastic handle, and a Reaper Logo would be really cool, but other things, space, organization, etc, are more important.

• Reaper User

Okie, I just talked to one of our Reaper owners, our head of Operations, Al, who originally contracted for the paint case. He told me some interesting information. When the case was originally discussed, it was only supposed to go out with the complete 108-paint MSP sets (i.e. if you ordered the whole set, the paint came in the plastic box). This is why it was created only for MSP's--that was the point, the paint had to ship in that box, so they wanted it to be snug, they didn't want stuff rattling around too much. It's also why the box is the size it is; it fits the 108 colors and it's just about full at that point.

Now, when the word got out that the sets would be shipping in the boxes, suddenly a bunch of people asked, "Hey, can we get just the box? We already bought a bunch of the paints, we don't need a complete set." So Reaper decided to produce the boxes separately after all. They understood all along that there are other options out there, but for those who don't want to go searching for a box to fit their MSP's, there you go.

Hope that clarifies the issue for you; though hindsight is perfect, and now that we have all your feedback we have a lot more ideas on what many people are looking for in a caddy! But at the time, all we were looking for was a box that would be a good fit for 108 MSP's. :;):

--Anne, the Mouth of Sauron--err, Reaper ::D: