White Wolf Licensing Pay-to-Play

Orsino

I don't even understand the concept of having to pay to roleplay anyway... I could understand having to chip in to cover expensenses like player handouts and basic reference sheets... maybe even covering the cost of the place yer holding the game at. ANd of course game munchies. But just to play? I'm sorry that's just stupid. <_<

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At first glance, I can't see paying to roleplay either.

However, if I didn't have a group and hadn't played in a long time, then I would consider it. After all, if I'm paying I would at least get some say as to the background and tone of the campaign.

If I go out to see a movie, I'm throwing down $10+ anyway. Spending the same amount on a game of D&D isn't that different.

Sure, the DM has to be good (and there are very few DMs that I've played with that I would pay) and it may not feel the same, but at least you can play...

The closest I come to being in any pay-to-play is the SCA. ;) I haven't played any WW games since Vampire: Middle-Ages came out. I just lost interst in their universe (V:TMA is not the cause, btw, just the benchmark as to when I stopped)

Cheers,

Thorbjorn Johannson, m/k/a Erik Olsen

I don't even understand the concept of having to pay to roleplay anyway...

For your typical free-form, player driven game, I agree with you totally. I have played in a number of really good con type games though. Ones with pre-built characters and good plots built into the game. Usually these were smaller, by invite only one or two day games. A blast to play and a hell of a lot of work to put together.

I have no problem shelling out a few bucks for that.

I mean, if someone is charging fees to play a White Wolf game, why shouldn't WW get a piece of the pie.

I don't see this as a given. If a bar plays music, does it owe royalties on every song? Should it have to get permission from the copyright holder?

People do not pay for non-specific background music, but if the music is the draw or part of the draw, then they pay. I would say that WW is like a good band at a club: you pay to hear them.