Sign in to follow this  
mmmgreenstuff

Zap-a-gap question

I'm currently making a mini with sculpey, and have made my own armature. Several joints on it are secured with the help of some zap-a-gap. Here's my question:

When I bake the mini in the oven at 275 degrees, will the glue melt, give off fumes, or fail at the joints?

I had sprayed a mini once in cold weather and the paint wasn't drying normally so I put it in the oven to speed up the process. The glue I used(not zap-a-gap but similar stuff) lost its hold.

Now with the armature being inside I don't think the glue will lose it bond fast enough to ruin your sculpt, but I would glue a couple of peices of scrap armature, wrap it in sculpy and bake it to see what happens before I test it on a sculpt I had worked hard on.

Either way let us know what happens.

I've added some sculpey to bulk the mini out, and it seems to have held okay. The glue is where his arms are attached to his chest, and where the tail meets the hips. Both sections are quite solid after baking. He's 5 inches tall, wingtip to base.

I'll see how the glue holds up after later bakings, should be okay. He's only getting baked 15 minutes at a time.

wire_side.jpg

Keep the pics coming! I am very interested on how this comes out.

Added the wing-web supports tonight, after making a test run in the oven to make sure the mesh holds up okay. I used fiberglass window screen so the heat's not so much of a problem. I'm just hoping the glue holds it well.

I'm hoping to have shots of all the steps I use. Apologies for the orangeyness, it's the lights in here, my camera doesn't like them.

Anyway, pics.

2_mesh_front.jpg

left view

Right view