Sign in to follow this  
spiritual_exorcist

Fall 2005 Reaper Mini Exchange

I just lovingly wrapped my mini, placed it in the cushioned envelope (after writing the details on the envelope) and sent him off on its merry way. I hope my victim likes my attempt. (I did send him a note that it's comming.)

SOrry, just using 'special project' for lack of any other ambigious name, mainly because it was the first thing that came to the top of my head. I've got a few PMs worrying that I had forgotten about it or that I failed to send out the info thus far, so I was just giving a heads up; my apologies.

It is indeed the one you are involved in Jubilee

Little bump in the road. splattered black paint all over my mini's face after i dotted the eyes. I stink at the eyes and now i have to do them again. Wish me luck covering the black and fixing it or i might have to start all over.

That's why I always paint the eyes first. It is the one part of the mini I have the most difficulty with. So, if I make a mistake, I don't ruin hours of work on everything else I have done.

Another option, if you do face stuff first, is to put down a protective coat of sealer before you start on the eyes. That way, if you make a mistake, you can clean it up with a wet brush and not ruin the layers of paint underneath.

I'm also going to get a nice base on my figure. My hubby is a mad converter and terrain maker, and suggested I base her up nice and offered to make it for me.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have some quality painting time and can get her finished, But I'm also trying to get some figures done for the rotten harvest painting comp and the deadline for that finishes earlier, so will see how it goes.

Also was talking to a propainter at a con recently, and told me some of the techniques used in the US and UK don't quite work here in Oz cause the air conditions are different (I've basically been trying to learn from tutorials), ie paint drying times, and stuff. So I'm going to try some techniqies he sugegsted on this one and see how it works.

A quick reminder that ChickinChainmail has set up a gallery for us to post all of the minis involved in the exchange. So once you've sent your mini to your partner and they have recieved it (we don't want to ruin anyones surprise by putting up pics before they get the mini) you can send the mini to:

[email protected]

It's great to have the showoff area (and feel free to post pics there as well), but I think it would be pretty snazzy for us to have our own little gallery in addition.

I'm also going to get a nice base on my figure. My hubby is a mad converter and terrain maker, and suggested I base her up nice and offered to make it for me.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have some quality painting time and can get her finished, But I'm also trying to get some figures done for the rotten harvest painting comp and the deadline for that finishes earlier, so will see how it goes.

Also was talking to a propainter at a con recently, and told me some of the techniques used in the US and UK don't quite work here in Oz cause the air conditions are different (I've basically been trying to learn from tutorials), ie paint drying times, and stuff. So I'm going to try some techniqies he sugegsted on this one and see how it works.

Take notice of painting tips from folks in the US that are in more arid and/or high altitude areas. Both Flynn and myself are in Colorado so we definitely don't have humdity problems its a matter of keeping things from drying to fast. I remember at the RAC last year both Flynn and I were at a table with Jen Haley when she pulled out a hair dryer to make the paint dry faster. We were both stunned and saying why would you want make it dry faster? ::D:

Take notice of painting tips from folks in the US that are in more arid and/or high altitude areas. Both Flynn and myself are in Colorado so we definitely don't have humdity problems its a matter of keeping things from drying to fast. I remember at the RAC last year both Flynn and I were at a table with Jen Haley when she pulled out a hair dryer to make the paint dry faster. We were both stunned and saying why would you want make it dry faster? ::D:

It dries faster??? :wacko::blink::lol:

If you use a lot of the Vallejo Model Color paints, then that can be necessary (to make sure the layer is dry so you can add the next one without peeling off the previous layer)

New Mexico's like Colorado but drier and painting is pro-extender here. However when I was in South Carolina my "gunk" was useless way too humid...Now I carry both flo-aide and slo-dri to where ever I travel and mix there according to climate :upside:

I'd actually say Sydney is pretty humid, I don't know where in the USA it would compare to, but it certainly isn't arid.

The biggest challenge I've found in moving from my location in Canada to here in Sydney Australia is dealing with the humidity. It wasn't the least bit of a concern in Canada, but here in Sydney at can get very muggy, it isn't so much drying time that I've had to deal with, it is priming and sealing. I can no longer do it whenever I want, I fidn I have to wait until the humidity is low.

I remember at the RAC last year both Flynn and I were at a table with Jen Haley when she pulled out a hair dryer to make the paint dry faster. We were both stunned and saying why would you want make it dry faster? ::D:

In my small painting setup I have a magnifying glass with a light. Unfortunately the darn thing doesn't like to stay up and always droops to the lowest level. One day I was looking at it and thinking ... I wonder if the heat from the light is making the paint dry faster? Then I realized that most of the time the light was close not to the minis, but my paint pallette. :rolleyes:

But nothing beats my two tier lazy susan, paint pots on the lower level and minis on the upper level. I really need to take a picture of that mess of a workspace one of these days.