Strafing run

ReaperShaun

I've been doing a scan roll modified with the targets ECM value.

Let us know how it works (the next few weeks are too busy for me to get in a game). I'd love to see something like this make the rulebook. Currently, we're using "Mutual Assured Destruction" to limit the amount of strikes taken, but obviously that won't work for the finalized, printed rules (which should be balanced without requiring the immediate application of house rules).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been intentionally vague because I didn't think I had a big enough sampling to really say wether it works or not but here's what I've been messing with.

I've been calling it a "strike scan". You have to be within 60" and have LOS to try it. You take your RAV, since it represents your offensive capability all told, sensors, targetting computer etc. and add 1D10. If you have the FiST SA add that to your roll +1, +2 etc. Since CAV2 is trying to get away from opposed rolls I've been playing it where you have to beat the targets ECM value with stealth mods applied. If the target is stealthed it adds a +1 to their ECM.

If you have say a RAV 2 and FiST/2 your roll would be 1d10 +4 versus the targets ECM. If you beat it you've succesfully "designated" or "pinpointed" the target. Since scan data is only shared with your platoon-mates you need a FiST SA unit to relay the data too in your platoon. Unless you're the Terrans.

So far this has cut down on the "deployment area slaughter" by a lot. I tried to do two things. 1) bring "reality" into it by making the strike caller pinpoint the location of the target, which you do in reality. No one calls in anything with that much destructive potential without knowing where it's going to land. 2) Keep it as simple and playable as possible.

Now if you just want to bombard a piece of ground, no problem. All you need is LOS to it. Having that included does make for the possibility of abuse by targetting the ground next to a model and letting the AOE do it's job. I haven't figured a way around that yet without making some huge rule change. you guys have any thoughts about it?

If they want to target the ground, let them roll against d10 and have at it. However if they miss the roll, the Strike drifts off the table (they are shooting from a ways away, so a miss by several hundred meters is possible).

For strikes that target a model, if the roll fails they don't waste the strike b/c they would have never called it w/out the lock.

For Strafing runs, I'd simply say that any Strafe that hits a target is still targeting that model, so the player has to pick at least 1 model to roll against.

So, taking your ruleset, explain what happens when you get a rifle platoon that includes, say 4-6 fist units.

From what I am understanding, then all of the units from said platoon that are targeting the same model for their strike, only one has to have LOS and make the roll to scan it, and the rest can piggy back with strikes? Or each has to have LOS and make the roll?

If it is the prior, if the scan misses and one of the other units has LOS, can it then try a scan for the remaining group?

Ar ya sayin' sur that Ah need not worry if Ah failed... I should never have started that. I would still need to roll successfully twice. Once to locate and then to hit with the strike. Unless of course, I could still attempt a strike even though I failed the Strike Scan. In which case, you would have to add penalties to the Strike.

I suppose another option, would be to impose range band penalties to the Strikes. Pretty much treat strikes like Indirect attacks except they don't drift (unless it states so in the Strike description.) Scan to Fire of course would work the same. THe benefit of Fist/# over IA would be no return fire even from models with Counter-barrage SAs. I will have to dig back through my paperwork to see how reasonable this would be...

Personally... I like the idea that Strikes simply require LoS, but I do understand the "Munchin Factor" that will result if the "first Strike" crisis is not dealt with immeditately.

So, taking your ruleset, explain what happens when you get a rifle platoon that includes, say 4-6 fist units. 

From what I am understanding, then all of the units from said platoon that are targeting the same model for their strike, only one has to have LOS and make the roll to scan it, and the rest can piggy back with strikes?  Or each has to have LOS and make the roll?

If it is the prior, if the scan misses and one of the other units has LOS, can it then try a scan for the remaining group?

Yes. :lol:

Once a scan is made.. all the members of that platoon have access to that information. So yes, the other FiST teams could call a strike on one platoon members scan. If the scan misses another model may attempt it but a model can't scan and request fire support in the same turn so if you burn up all your FiST teams trying the scans you're screwed.

Ar ya sayin' sur that Ah need not worry if Ah failed... I should never have started that. I would still need to roll successfully twice. Once to locate and then to hit with the strike. Unless of course, I could still attempt a strike even though I failed the Strike Scan. In which case, you would have to add penalties to the Strike.

I'm thinkin' no scan equals no fire. You don't casually lob artillery shells around.

If they want to target the ground, let them roll against d10 and have at it. However if they miss the roll, the Strike drifts off the table (they are shooting from a ways away, so a miss by several hundred meters is possible).

For strikes that target a model, if the roll fails they don't waste the strike b/c they would have never called it w/out the lock.

For Strafing runs, I'd simply say that any Strafe that hits a target is still targeting that model, so the player has to pick at least 1 model to roll against.

I like all those ideas.

I'm thinkin' no scan equals no fire. You don't casually lob artillery shells around.

so in other words I would have to roll twice (successfully mind you) to to hit a single target.

I'm not really down with idea Spartan. What if yer platoon has only a single FIST model, if yer Strike Scan takes a attack action then how can he use a strike? I think just treating Strikes like Indirect Attacks (or Direct Attacks if you want to maintain LoS as a requirement) would work better. If for nothing else then avoid creating a new rule.

I agree. I'd like to see the targeting roll made by the model calling in the strike. Otherwise, I get a mental picture of one infantryman poking his head over the top of the berm, then pulling back, telling his mates that the enemy is 200m due north, and seeing a bunch of soldiers all pull out their cell phones...

It doesn't require a FiST unit to make the scan. ANY model can attempt the scan and the data is then shared with the FiST'er.

As for one guy sticking his head up and then telling the guy with the radio "they're 200m straight out.." That's exactly how it works in real life. :lol: