Except they wouldn't need cellphones b/c they'd have communicators implanted into their skulls! This is the future baby! :lol:

Hell, they could probably just hold their hand up over the berm, take a picture with his camera-watch and have it automatically triangulate the target's position and send it to the artillary battery. :B):

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you talking about Chrome. And get my arm shot off? No way.

I'd just run to Fry's and pick up a new handheld GPS that can pull up a map of anywhere on Earth (or maybe even better, get a wireless laptop and go to Googlemaps) and point and click....

It doesn't require a FiST unit to make the scan. ANY model can attempt the scan and the data is then shared with the FiST'er.

As for one guy sticking his head up and then telling the guy with the radio "they're 200m straight out.."  That's exactly how it works in real life.  :lol:

But putting rounds on target in the time frame of one round in the game (no time-of-flight) implies guided munitions already on their way. The ability to uplink the targeting info ("200m straight out" would be insufficient, BTW, without also saying where you are and which way straight out is) is the FIST equipment/ability. I might be convinced that the info can be passed from a non-FIST unit to a FIST unit if one or the other has Wizzo, but the game has established already that targeting data can't be passed from model to model without Wizzo. I can accept it if both the FIST model and the non-FIST (scanning) model forfeit both movement and combat actions, but it seems to add un-needed complexity to what's shaping into a rather elegant game.

It doesn't require a FiST unit to make the scan. ANY model can attempt the scan and the data is then shared with the FiST'er.

As for one guy sticking his head up and then telling the guy with the radio "they're 200m straight out.."  That's exactly how it works in real life.  :lol:

But putting rounds on target in the time frame of one round in the game (no time-of-flight) implies guided munitions already on their way. The ability to uplink the targeting info ("200m straight out" would be insufficient, BTW, without also saying where you are and which way straight out is) is the FIST equipment/ability. I might be convinced that the info can be passed from a non-FIST unit to a FIST unit if one or the other has Wizzo, but the game has established already that targeting data can't be passed from model to model without Wizzo. I can accept it if both the FIST model and the non-FIST (scanning) model forfeit both movement and combat actions, but it seems to add un-needed complexity to what's shaping into a rather elegant game.

"200m straight out" is just what the guy says to the RTO. The RTO then tells the FDC something useful like the grid of the target. I'm well aware "200m straight out" won't cut it. And you don't have to tell the FDC where you are if you're doing a polar or shift mission, just the direction.

Where does it say you need a Wizzo to share scan data with your platoon-mates? Did I miss that?

Maybe what I had in mind is getting muddled. Let me try to clear it up.

Proceedure for calling a strike:

Step 1) A model you control must have line-of-sight and be within 60" of the intended target.

Step 2) The model from step 1 makes a "scan for strike" roll. The model's RAV + 1D10 + any FiST SA levels versus the targets ECM Value +\- stealth modifiers. If the model you control makes the roll this "fix" data can then be shared with any other model in that model's platoon. Any model in that platoon may then call in any strikes it's entitled too on the "fixed" model.

Step 3) The strike is then played out as per the regular rules.

If you want to bombard a piece of terrain you simply need LoS to it. Chrome mentioned that any strike that drifts when you're shooting at a piece of terrain automatically drifts clear off the table. I happen to like that as it cuts down on munchkins targetting the ground next to my Hawk6 and letting the AoE do it's job.

The more I play this the better I like it.

"200m straight out" is just what the guy says to the RTO. The RTO then tells the FDC something useful like the grid of the target. I'm well aware "200m straight out" won't cut it. And you don't have to tell the FDC where you are if you're doing a polar or shift mission, just the direction.

But aren't the two guys in question part of the same Rifle Team with FIST? Also, we're talking about hitting moving targets. I figure the spotter has to hit the target with his mega-rangefinder (scan, as you said), then transmit the data to the guy with the radio (free, just push a button). The second guy has to correlate the info *and* contact fire support central. Basically, your idea (explained much better at the end of your last post, thanks) looks good, I just think perhaps one more action, either on the part of the targeter or the FIST model, might be necessary -- how often in today's military are you calling in strikes on fast-moving targets (and how much harder is it)?

Where does it say you need a Wizzo to share scan data with your platoon-mates? Did I miss that?

Units with Wizzo get plusses vs targets scanned by their squadmates. Thus, given the short amount of time a round represents, precise targeting data (including both location and motion of the target) requires human intervention by someone not busy piloting (or running).

That said, I could live with your rules as-is, with the caveat that one scan = one strike -- otherwise, one guy in the 12-model infantry platoon spots for the other 11, unless we can fix the opening activation problem.

One Scan, One Strike sounds like a pretty good idea. Keeps it "realistic" and helps limit the amount of strikes. Would you consider one strike per platoon per scan (i.e Platoon 1 has unit A scan, unit B calls in the strike, platoon 2 has unit A scan, unit B calls in the strike, etc, etc...) OR would it be more of one scan, one strike for your entire force during that round? (i.e Platoon 1 has unit A scan, unit B calls in the strike but platoon 2 can't call in a strike until the next round.)

how often in today's military are you calling in strikes on fast-moving targets (and how much harder is it)?

I could live with your rules as-is, with the caveat that one scan = one strike -- otherwise, one guy in the 12-model infantry platoon spots for the other 11, unless we can fix the opening activation problem.

Hardly ever and almost impossible. :lol:

My intent was 1 scan=1 strike. ::): I was also going to make the level of FiST SA a positive modifier. 1, 2, 3 etc.

how often in today's military are you calling in strikes on fast-moving targets (and how much harder is it)?

Hardly ever and almost impossible. :lol:

That's what I figured. Fluff-wise, it would be best to consider all incoming munitions terminally-guided by the FIST model (or, optionally, the scanning model) due to the fact that every worthwhile target is moving. Combine that with a scan/LoS requirement, and there's justification for defensive fire applying. Now that would fix strikes being overpowered...

Combine that with a scan/LoS requirement, and there's justification for defensive fire applying. Now that would fix strikes being overpowered...

Targetting has never envoked Defensive Fire. CAV 1 specifically stated that only actual gunfire ellicited it. If you went this route, you'd have to allow Defensive Fire for scans for distance and to break stealth as well.