In Seattle now...

Seattle:

Great produce, the pike street market rocks. But it took us forever to find a real grocery for all the other items we need, that was also close to downtown. The produce is great, as are a lot of restaurants. I5 is crowded sometimes, but no worse that 35W in Minneappolis on some days.

Uwajimaya is great. They have real wasabi root for $56/lb. Something I've never seen before. NB, nearly all wasabi in the us, and even large parts of japan, is green dyed horseradish. Nearly any asian food product or piece of cookware is available in their store.

Amazon:

What's it like? Wow. Everything is automated. First day, you get a backpack and your company notebook. Then you get orientation, then someone from your new team takes you out to lunch.

The decor is minimal, but very hip. It's a mix of bare industrialism, and fine design. Everyone's desk is a door mounted on 4x4s for legs. These hark back to the days when Amazon was starting out and cash was tight. Bezos built tables for packing orders out of doors and 4x4s. The place is made for brainstorming. Parts of the panels/walls/dividers are metal and coated to be dry erase boards. So you can write and tack papers to them with magnets.

The network is top notch, signing up for benes or finding anything is easy. Wikis up the wazoo, lots of documentation, it's spiffy.

All in all, I'm starting to fit in...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget Victoria, you need to go to the Gorge in George, WA. ::P:

Been there, watched tumbleweeds fall in, not much else to do.

I lived in Issaquah during the 80's, loved the whole area until it became a California suburb. Used to enjoy all the mountain climbing so close by, it's a real experience to camp on top of Tiger Mountain and watch all the Seattle city lights on a clear night. Glad to hear Uwajimaya is still there, I used to enjoy shopping there. It's been 15 years since I was there last, so I don't know if it's still worthwhile, but I always really liked the Salmon Days festival in Issaquah each fall. I used to live right on the creek above the hatchery, so it was great to see the spawning salmon come through each fall.

Sometimes I wish I still lived there, I live in a very dull Midwest town now. Good luck to you in Seattle, hope everything works out well for you at Amazon!

Howdy,

I work not far away from you on the waterfront, at pier 36. I presume Amazon is in the building looking down on the Stadiums and the train station. I like Seattle and have to say it's a great town to explore. The family and I went on the Underground Tour last week, it was a blast. Then there's the Space Needle. The city center is having Bite of Seattle which looked tasty but the crowds can be intimidating.

Two spots worth looking at are the Elliot Bay Book Store and Cafe and if you like Greek food (well gyros anyway) try the Mediterannean Cafe just a block up from the book store.

We have enjoyed Seattle since we moved here a couple years back. I've found a couple great places to buy miniatures. And there is so much to do outdoors!

Welcome!!

asc

I would like a few recs on good seattle game stores.

We're in temp housing right now, looking for apartments. So I try to take the bus everywhere as it's easier than fighting the downtown road system.

Gary's Game and Hobbies are on bus route 5, are they any good? They're listed by Privateer press as carrying warmachine, but I need a reaper fix as well. :)

*edit*

Pier 36? *Google*

Hey Gwangi, you work with the Coast Guard?

I would like a few recs on good seattle game stores.

We're in temp housing right now, looking for apartments. So I try to take the bus everywhere as it's easier than fighting the downtown road system.

Gary's Game and Hobbies are on bus route 5, are they any good? They're listed by Privateer press as carrying warmachine, but I need a reaper fix as well. :)

*edit*

Pier 36? *Google*

Hey Gwangi, you work with the Coast Guard?

Yup, I'm in the Coast Guard, 18 years now. I've been able to see a bit of the country that way. I'm taking the bus to downtown now as well (177), there is a bit of construction and a big push to make commuting more environmentally friendly.

Sorry, I don't know about Gary's Games and Hobbies. Even though I may have been there. I went to a place that had Reaper and others, but it was a lunch excursion and we were lucky to see a hobby shop. We went in but I missed the name, didn't drive and would be hardput to find the location again. There was a Mexican Food place nearby with an awesome deal on burritos. That's why we were in the area. I can get more info later, have to ask my shipmates.

We live south in Federal Way/Auburn. The best I can say of the Seattle area is American Eagle Hobbies, about a third of the store is given over to miniatures and RPG stuff. They have Reaper. And some odd older stuff, I picked up a Seductress Dragon (Ral Partha/Iron wind) and a couple of the Beast Master series (sculpted by Dennis Mize, I love the figures and the prehistoric mammal companions). This one is in Lake City which is North of the University of Washington.

There is a place called Wonderworks in Burien, not far from the bus center/big park and ride. They have a very full place...comics, books, RPGs and stuff. Along the right hand wall as you come in are the miniatures. They have a bunch, but it's a bit disorganized.

The other place I've visited that has a selection of Reaper minis is Games Matrix in Tacoma. They have a bigger selection of Reaper, with quite a few of the older figures. It's in south Tacoma and quite a drive from Seattle. And there isn't any way to avoid time on I-5. I believe that there are bus routes from downtown to Tacoma but nothing direct.

I first heard of Games Matrix at the Washington Renaissance Fantasy Faire WA RENFAIRE they had a booth and were doing miniature battle demos. The Fair is 6,7,13,14,20,21 of August this year. It's much smaller than the Texas Renaissance Festival that I was used to, but a blast nonetheless. It's out in Gig Harbor.

Factoria has a GW Battlebunker and the Auburn Supermall has a GW outlet. During the last couple years there was a GW three day event at the Seahawk Stadium.

Hope some of this helps!

I popped into a really great game store in the University district... can't think of the name of street.. I'll ask my kid sister cause she's living there :)

You *Must* do the seattle underground tour :)

Also, look at the original starbucks siren logo - it's still on the first one there near pioneer square. It's naughty :) Well, not really.. it might offend a few red-staters