Harry Potter Book 6

ladystorm

wow, all week I wait for someone else to start this and nothing, I'm really surprised.

so we picked ours up on Saturday, Pete got it first finished it Sunday afternoon and I was done before Monday Morning.

it was faster to read than the last few IMO.

any one else think the identity of Half Blood Prince was a surprise?

I felt like Rowling wrapped up the book enough that if there was no book 7 it would not be surprising.

and Dumbledore, I really didn't like that. I kept expecting with a phoenix for his "familiar'(for lack of better term) for him to be fine.

any thoughts?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the curse that Snape used to Kill Dumbledore, I don't expect he's coming back.

It was the same curse Tom Riddle used on Lily Potter, and the Avada Kedavra Curse is supposed to be instantly irrevocable dead, rather like the Power Word Kill of D&D.

I can't fathom how Snape could not be evil, after using AK on Dumbledore, but I guess if Dumbledore trusted him, maybe he was acting on Dumbledore's orders. I'll believe he was good when I see it.

I totally did not see it coming that Severus was the Prince, although I should have after it was mentioned that Harry, using Prince's book, was "almost as gifted at potions" as Snape himself was. Dead giveaway once you have the benefit of hindsight.

Can't wait for book 7!

For those confused, If you select my post, it will be suddenly quite readable.

Bought it Saturday morning; finished it Saturday night.

I'm mostly convinced that Snape is working with, if not actually for, the Dumbledore agenda. Rowling worked to hard to make him appear evil while leaving some rather large ambiguities.

I think we don't know what Snape actually cast. It might well have been a death ray, but it occurred to me that some effort may be underway to preserve Dumbledore's spirit--even though that might violate the immortality-is-evil notion pimped so hard in the book. Dumbledore's "please" directed at Snape was probably a plea for him to do the hard thing and kill Dumbledore.

I think we've not heard the last of Dumbledore, even if he really is dead. Dying on Hogwarts turf might give him all sorts of kewl powers; if nothing else, there'll be a portrait to speak for him.

Bought it Saturday morning; finished it Saturday night.

I'm mostly convinced that Snape is working with, if not actually for, the Dumbledore agenda. Rowling worked to hard to make him appear evil while leaving some rather large ambiguities.

I think we don't know what Snape actually cast. It might well have been a death ray, but it occurred to me that some effort may be underway to preserve Dumbledore's spirit--even though that might violate the immortality-is-evil notion pimped so hard in the book. Dumbledore's "please" directed at Snape was probably a plea for him to do the hard thing and kill Dumbledore.

I think we've not heard the last of Dumbledore, even if he really is dead. Dying on Hogwarts turf might give him all sorts of kewl powers; if nothing else, there'll be a portrait to speak for him.

Until reading your post I hadn't considered the idea that Severus had silently cast a spell that would preserve Dumbledore somehow, maybe just protect his spirit, before casting Avada Kedavra.

Perhaps the Frog and You have a point, and Dumbledore was imploring Snape to Kill him, as he had implored Harry to poison him.

JK seemed to have gone to a lot of trouble setting up Snape as not the bad guy in the previous 5 books . . . .

Maybe. Hmmmm . . .

I do think he'll be a factor in book 7, but I doubt that Book 7 will be in or around Hogwarts.

Going along with the "Dumbledor planned to die" theory - when they get back to Hogwarts, D. sends Harry for Snape. Not Madam Pomfrey, not Slughorn, but Snape.

Why? Because D knows that the potion he has ingested is poison, and, what's more, he knows that Snape will recognize it immediately upon seeing D.

The Dark Mark indicates that Death Eaters are in the school. D is dieing and knows it, but if Snape "kills" him, then Snape can return to Voldemort in good graces, putting a spy comfortably in the enemy's camp.

When Malfoy bursts onto the scene, D. knows that Malfoy, in his heart, is not a murderer (which is also why Snape does the killing curse - it allows for Malfoy to switch sides in the next book, and we won't hate him for it. Likewise, if Snape dies, we won't care so much.) Anyway, D. tries to talk Malfoy down, but when the other Death Eaters arrive, he knows it's not going to be successful.

D's death didn't occur as he planned, per se, but I very much have the feeling that he planned to die, and have Snape fully in the Dark Lord's camp at some point in the near future. Expect Harry to have a "mysterious helper" in the last book - revealed to be Snape, sent by D. to spy on Voldemort.

Add'l thought - we now know about Horcrux. Doubtful that Dumbledor would have used one, but it is possible. D. may not be fully dead, but only mostly dead. And, as Miracle Max said, mostly dead is still slightly alive.

I definately think that Snape cast some sort of spell (without speaking) on Dumbledore before performing AK. Rowling was emphasizing the fact that some wizards can cast spells silently throughout the entire book. Usually when she repeats something, it is going to end up being important. I'm not sure exactly what spell was, but I wouldn't be surprised if it allowed Dumbledore to communicate with the living in some way (other than through the portrait). Just my $.02.

Snape didn't really have a choice did he? If he didn't kill Dumbledore...Snape dies as well (remember the Unbreakable Vow).

It also seems that Snape went to great lengths to avoid casualties. He only stunned Flitwick, he orders the Death Eaters to break off the attack and only deflects Harry's spells.

My sister has a theory on R.A.B. though. They mentioned Sirius' brother Regulus abandoned the Death Eaters and was killed. Regulus A. Black?