Some thoughts on experience

Ulyss Brisonne

I'm currently working on a set of rules for campaigning, mainly concerned with experience, lasting effects of unit damage and funky events. It's very absract compared to Nadin's excellent and very thorough system, but more suited to my somewhat less than committive playing group! I'm scratching my head over unit experience- advancing up from Reg to Ace over time seems a little predicatable, and quickly dominates games because it affects ALL rolls. I was thinking of introducing a rerolls system between rank advancements to represent experience over skill- you might not be better but you've seen the situation before. Because rerolls don't alter target numbers, it shouldn't over balance the game while still giving an edge. I was thinking a unit could earn up to three rerolls before advancing a rank, whereupon they would have to earn them over at their new skill level. Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's the rub- best suggestion I've got is to track unit performance in a game, and award points based on survival and performance- eg. 1 point for surviving, 1 point for racking up, say, three kills (I'm just riffing here so don't flame me!) a discretionary point of you win and a point awarded by the opponent to a unit that performed well in their eyes. Or something. Obviously with Chainlock you'd have to choose who got the kill awards. Then, you could say that you get a reroll at, um, three points, another after seven and a final one at twelve. Units can then "trade in" rerolls to advance either Pilot or WSO and start the process over- although this might lead to ridiculously long advance times so it would need twiddling.

I' m thinking of balancing this with long term damage that ariies across games- effectively you would roll 1D6 for each DT a unit was down at the end of a game and for each 4+ the DT "carries over"- this only makes sense in context with the campaign turn and "resource point" system I'm building though. I'm happy to let anyone who wants to take a look at the early stuff, although it's very rough right now...

Well one suggestion on progression. It should not be linear, to go from regular to veteran should be much easier than to go from veteran to elite etc. Also as you are tracking damage and so on crews should loses points if there are forced to change CAVs especially if they change weight class. Afterall piloting a Khan is a lot different to a Rhino.

I would really like to see where you have hot your rules to so far feel free to E-Mail me or just post it.