The dip......

ugluk69

Well I have had several peeps wanna know about my dip technique so I will post the article I did on the dip I use here for all to see. Let me know what you think...

I have been painting miniatures for over 20 years, but now I am married, have two kids, a full time job etc. I do not have enormous amounts of time to paint my figures, but I still want them to look good. I have a friend that works for Games Workshop in Dusseldorf Germany and he told me about a wash they were using to paint figures quickly. They were mixing Games Workshop brown ink with their PVA glue and some water and brushing it over the figures once all of the base colors were on. I was skeptical at first, but I tried it. The figures turned out great, but I wanted something even faster. So I decided to make a huge batch of the wash and dip the figures-- I have been doing it ever since.

Making the Dip

To make the wash you will need a container to put it in. I stole an air tight Tupperware container from my wife. It is big enough that I have even dipped my Mordor Troll in it (there is a photo of him in my gallery- Ugluk69).

Next I use a product called Thin-N-Shade from Duncan enterprises. Any good ceramic store will carry or can order it. This product is used to thin ceramic paints, but it works well for thinning any acrylic paint. However water or any acrylic thinner could be substituted. I put about 4 oz. in the container . Next comes the PVA glue (the "magic" ingredient). Some where between 2 and 4 ounces of glue will suffice. Be sure to use the PVA glue and not just any white glue. The PVA glue dissolves quite nicely in the mixture and the other glues will not. I then dump a two full bottles of the Games Workshop brown ink into the container. As the ink is somewhat expensive I sometimes use some Burnt Umber acrylic craft paint in the mix instead. Lastly, I do put in a bit of water as I make about 10-12 oz. of dip at a time

Using the Dip

One thing about this dip is that it tends to settle a bit. I have a flat head screwdriver that I use to stir it up each time I use it . Once the mixture is stirred up I just grab the miniature and dip it in. I then shake the excess dip back in the container and set the miniature on a paper towel (this absobs the liquid under the base). This dip is non toxic so you do not need any special tools to dip the mini into the mix.

As I am not a patient person I let the figure sit for a couple of minutes, and then I "borrow" my wife's hair dryer to dry the wash. I start off with the dryer set on the lowest setting. Do not let the paint get too hot as it will blister. The hair dryer will help remove excess dip and help it go where it needs to. As it dries increase the dryer setting. Using the hair dryer takes hours off of the painting process.I dry the figure for several minutes and then it is off to do the base. You can also go back and do some more highlighting if you want as well.

Conclusion

You might be asking yourself "why the PVA glue?" Well I find that the glue helps the dip stay in the recesses of the figure. An added bonus is that when the PVA glue is dry it gives some degree of protection to your paint job. I prefer this dip as it is made up entirely of ingredients that I was already using to paint or base my figures.

If you get a chance go look at some of my figures on my gallery as all of them were painted using this dip technique. Below is a photo of some of the figures I have painted using the dip.(the gallery is at www.thelastalliance.com and I am ugluk69 there too)

Thanks for reading my first article. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks

Ken

Ken Burton (Ugluk69)

That is the article now I will show a quick pick of a mini post dip....

dippedUgluk.jpg

and here is what he looked like when dry and based.

FinalUglukfront.jpg

This really speeds up the painting process, but I would only recommend it for tabletop quality paint jobs!! ::):

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be asking yourself "why the PVA glue?

Actually I'm ignorant enough to ask, "What is PVA glue"? :unsure:

- it breaks surface tension

- it thickens

- it strengthens

- it's quick-drying

- it's cheap

PVA stands for poly vinyl acrylate (sp?). It is similar to elmers white glue, but the actual PVA glue dissolves better. I buy the GW pva glue, but I have found other suppliers on the net, but they sell large (like a gallon) quantites of the stuff. ::):