Skinnie Battlesuit (aka Attack-pants!)

This is the completion of this conversion.

I know experienced painters frown on metallics, but I really like them, and I'm happy with the effect here.

I intend to use the mini for a Starship Troopers Skinnies army.

suitpainted1.jpg

suitpainted6.jpg

suitpainted5.jpg

group.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good, although not quite the Techno-Trousers I was expecting. ::D:

I really like the metallic colors. I'm quite happy to use metallic paints for metals, myself.

Whoops! Let's edit that and not quote all the pictures...

Edited by Otter

Nice conversion! Metallics are so hard to shade and highlight. I am a metallics guy too. My critiques would be to shade a bit more the blue portions of the armor and to line the sharp edges of the armor with a much brighter shade of blue to accentuate the high reflectivity of the metal. Another cool thing to do is to a bit of off source lighting (OSL) from the visor on his face. Cyril did a nice article on it here.

I really like the mini. Very cool. I have been painting 20+ years and I prefer metallics as I feel NMM is too time consuming, but then again I'm all about speed!!! Good job on your mini!!! (One more thing is that Starship troopers cool??) :B):

I do love that article Jabberwoky. It sits on my painting desk, reminding me that I can do much better!

As far as Starship Troopers Ugluk? It's becoming love-hate for me. I love the rules, they work great. The figs however need work.

Once I got the construction of the MI down (it is really frustrating at first) I'm finding them to be some of the least inspiring minis I've ever painted. Maybe I just don't like plastic. I've had lots of fun with the skinnie metals even though they aren't great minis.*shrugs*

I belong to the "I prefer metallics" camp myself. ^_^

I like your robot-thingie. The way you have done the bright colored metallics reminds me of dicroic (ok- I know I spelled that wrong) glass beads. You know the ones that have the metals layered onto the glass and cost a small fortune. I also like how you kept the copper copper-colored and the gold gold-colored. The last time I tried to do copper metallic it wound up gold.

Good Job!!

I know experienced painters frown on metallics, but I really like them, and I'm happy with the effect here.

Then call me inexperienced... I don't frown on metallics... they just aren't as easy to take pictures of!!!

BTW, interesting Battle suit!

(remember, we've done the "official" Reven with metallics!!!)

Edited by ixminis

To the contrary, I've found that experienced painters love metallics as much as the "next guy". It's just the people with really small minds that frown on a style of painting, experience has nothing to do with it. :poke:

People can produce amazing results with metals given enough experience with them. Sometimes it's really hard to differentiate between a well painted piece done with metallics as opposed to a piece done with NMM. The top French Rackham painters do this alot, it's almost impossible to tell when they've used metallic paints, their paintwork is so convincing in both the metallic and NMM styles.

Don't let the ultra-annoying-and-worse-than-pathetic-mini-snobs fool you, if you like a technique and it works for you, then by all means, develop that technique, practice it and enjoy it! It is just as useful a style as any others.

I paint the miniatures that I sell with the NMM technique, because I happen to be better at NMM than metallics and I want to do a top job. However, for my own personal armies, I prefer to have minis painted with metallics as it's more convincing at scale on the tabletop IMHO.

Regarding the actual mini, I really like it! It reminds me of the art from the video game "Starship Titanic" which has a really art-deco-retro-future-flash gordon type of feel to it. The only thing that looks out of place are the mecha style legs. They don't look bad, but they don't look like they fit with the rest of the mini really.

Thanks for all the kind words!

And yes, the legs are a bit off for the mini <_<

My first batch of MI sucked and I sold em' on ebay. Next batch isn't turning out much better I'm afraid, but I'll hang on to them.

Here's the first batch:

post-4-1122572437.jpg