Civil Engineer, reviewing new/revised floodplain maps/studies.

Oooh. Dream Job. So many choices. No particular order:

Reviewing books - but the ones I pick.

Working at a quiet homey bookstore (not sure I want the management hassles of actually running one!), the kind where the customers are likely to be bibliophiles like me.

Now, the real farmers please don't burst my bubble this is *dreaming* after all: moving out to the boonies and have a farm. Sheep, dairy goats, several other possible critter types. Hitting the lotto first or having the mythical rich uncle leave me a heap is something of a prerequisite.

Open a workshop/gallery selling all the hobby/craft things Dracos and I do - leatherworking, knitting, weaving, spinning, mini painting, model-building, etc. Hmm. Need that lotto thing again.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I write this, I am currently an Independent Contractor for an on demand delivery service. 90% of my jobs involve packages taken to (or picked up from) the airport, since you have to take a test (?) in order to ship packages on an airline (welcome to post 9/11). It's a very simple test that you don't have to score 100% on, but I'm one of only 6 people in the company that has passed it. I do 90% of the airport jobs, since the others are the owner, 2 of the dispatchers, a driver who lives an hour away, and a driver who broke his ankle (months ago, but he's still out). I'm on call 24/7 save for 4-5 hours on Sunday night (game night!) and 2 on Wednesday night (when I DJ). I make decent money (more than I need to support myself and my dog), but it's a PITA. I haven't been out on a Saturday night since somewhere around last October (the last time I went out on a Saturday was a halloween party).

Hence why I quit 2 weeks ago. Since I didn't have another job lined up yet (that probably would have been wise), I gave them the "soft" 2 week notice even though as an IC I could have walked away immediately. I realized I was only living to work because even if I wasn't "working", I was still on call so it kept me from actually doing anything I wanted.

I have money saved up (I was going to start investing in real estate) so I'm not destitute, but I will probably get a job as a bookkeeper or something related (I have a degree in Economics, but the jobs I really want in my FOS require a Masters not my BS).

My dream jobs (why limit yourself) are:

Host of a travel show (so I can travel)

RPG writer (does this need explanation?)

Librarian (I'm lining this up as my retirement plan)

Hockey Player (we're dreaming here right? Not happening with my knees, but it wouldn't have to be in the NHL)

I've looked into running a game store, but I think it would sap my enjoyment of gaming - not to mention my money. I always have it in the back of my mind though.

Currently I work for a Heart monitor company in the north east. My job now I wear many hats. Mostly I test heart monitor hardware and testing software for them. But I run paperwork, buy equpiment, make photo copies, anything my 6 bosses want me to do. (ever see office space and the tp reports?)

Dream job, that's a toughy.

I can't really do what I would want to do and still maintain the standard of living that my family expects. But I would own an arcade/flgs/video game store. Now if money was no object, I would do that in a heart beat and not even care if the store made any money.

Hello everyone... I'm new here. Great topic, though!

I work for an airline (which will remain nameles so I don't get questions about the intricacies of my job) in the customer service field as a supervisor. I handle all the escalated issues and angry people that our regular reps can't deal with. Needless to say, it is very stressful and I try to use my down time to relax.

If I could do what I want, I would own a recording studio and help indie bands get their demos out so they can get discovered. Of course, the studio would have to have a gaming room for blowing of steam! ::P:

Right now, though, I enjoy hanging out with my wife and friends, painting minis, building terrain, and running RPG's in my spare time.

"Let it be..."

Mojo

I work for an airline... I handle all the escalated issues and angry people that our regular reps can't deal with.

Like the people who show up 15 minutes before the flight is leaving and complain that they can't get on?

I love those people, but our airport only made it worse when they opened up a center checkpoint that was supposed to make things run faster (ha!) and they said that you could get to the airport 30 minutes before your flight...

I'm a software developer for an international telecommunications company. I hate my job. Not that I hate being a software developer, but I hate the company I'm with.

My dream job would be to do software development on a project that I'm really interested in.

I'm currently an Administrator at a small Christian Academy. In June I'd been an Admin Assistant here for... about five years. Due to low enrollment and bad money management, they decided to close their doors (as GCCSchool), but then I joined up with two of our teachers and an experienced parent to come up with a new business and demographics plan. By the end of June we had lost one of our teachers, were down to a staff of three, and realized that I was actually doing all of the Administrative work for the new Academy. Lucky me, I now have the official title of Vice Principal. *ack!* In reality, it's more like we have two principals... with so few of us, we're all working with each other to get everything done. We're hiring our Pre-K/K teacher by the end of next week, even though I'm on vacation. Scary stuff!

Dream job: I never finished my college degree, but while I was in it I was an English/Lit major. (I thought it was cool that I could major in reading books, but I really sucked at lit analysis, which is what the degree boiled down to.) In nearly equal amounts, I've wanted to be a Day Care provider, an elem. ed teacher, an architect, a graphics designer, a web designer, a professional organizer (yay Clean Sweep!), run my own used book store/coffee shop, or work in a game store like Millennium (Rochester, NY), in a capacity where I have actual power but don't own the place. And this list is why I haven't finished school yet. :down:

Right now the dream job that's topping my list is Being a Mom. But that won't be for a while yet.

Jess

I'm an electrical estimator/designer/project manager for an electrical contractor in Harrisburg, PA. I usually like my job, there's a good bit of variety and challenge to it. That said, it is stressfull and the hours are TEH SUK.

Dream Job? Well, unfortunately I am friends with the FLGS's owner and I know how incredibly hard of a job that can be for what can only be described as HORRIBLE returns.

I'd still do it.

Or work on stained glass all day.

Jamie

I am in an innovative and ever-changing position, with a boss who does not speak English, has frequently impossible demands, and is rude, inconsiderate and tempermental. In addition, I have to handle hazardous wastes, perform courier services, and maintain his wardrobe. The hours are terrible (24/7), I don't have vacation, medical or dental, and the retirement plan isn't so hot either. But I also wouldn't trade it for the world.

Because I am a stay-at-home dad, and proud of it.

I am a Graphic Designer for an arts management/presenting non-profit organization. Not too shabby, most days. We (Art Director, and a part-time Designer) are responsible for everything printed, from small black & white newspaper ads to mailing pieces, invitations, programs, and full-color brochures and posters. Almost every day is something different, which is nice. Plus, our offices are directly attached to a huge, beautiful, historic theatre. It's apretty cool place to work.

If I could do anything I wanted though, assuming I do indeed have to name some kind of realistic employment, I'd drop everything for the opportunity to work out of my own studio as a freelance editorial/conceptual/fantasy illustrator.

I'm working on it, but there are so many incredibly talented artists already working in the field that it's challenging to break in. One day...

I recently stopped being a training NCO for a National Guard infantry company. I did 18 years in the Guard and Army as first an 11C (mortarman) then as a 95B ( military police ) and finished up the last six years as an 11B (grunt). Right now I'm a stay-at-home Dad and soon to be full-time college student. I do a little part-time work transporting prisoners and mental health patients from point A to point B.

Like Ugluk I've found my knowledge of indirect fire and the ability to make really big things into really little things absolutely invaluable! :lol:

My dream job would be writer and I actually do a little freelance writing sometimes. Check reapergames on the CAV side and look under "featured downloads". Between a Rock and a Hard Place is mine. If I never make the New York Times bestseller list I'll be satisfied with teaching History. ::):

Currently I'm an accountant working for a private firm that provides accounting services to other companies. I am responsible for the accounts Payable for two of our clients and I am totally responsible for another client. It's not always the most fascinating of jobs but I like it. I'll be starting my CGA program this fall (that's Certified General Accountant - equivalent to CPA in the US) and that'll take most of my time for a few years.

My dream job? well, since I'm dreaming, I think Professional Shopper would be great. I'm a confirmed shopaholic and buying stuff ofr a living would be cool.

Other than that I'd love to win the lottery and retire by the age of 30 (only 25 right now). And then travel and paint and maybe get into photography a bit. It's so unlikely to happen but hey, a girl can dream, can't she? :)

Heather

I'm a Senior Business Analyst working for a Group Life & Health Insurer. I analyse software needs, write requirements, test, and manage projects. In addition I serve as the liason for the field sales offices for technology and software issues. Its actually very rewarding and one of the few positions where changes I decide to make can have a visible and positive impact on the company, despite being one of about 6000 employees.

I don't think I have a dream job at this point, but my wife has the job that many of you consider to be a dream job.

She is a manager/buyer at the FLGS and is responsible for about 70% of the inventory. She writes a monthly column in one of the game trade magazines and game reviews for another. Both pay her to do it. She also has her own consulting business for the game industry working with retailers and manufacturers. The big down side is the pay sucks, I easily double what she makes.

Right now her dream job is to do almost anything that pays a decent salary and stay in the game industry. :rolleyes:

Dream job: I never finished my college degree, but while I was in it I was an English/Lit major. (I thought it was cool that I could major in reading books, but I really sucked at lit analysis, which is what the degree boiled down to.) In nearly equal amounts, I've wanted to be a Day Care provider, an elem. ed teacher, an architect, a graphics designer, a web designer, a professional organizer (yay Clean Sweep!), run my own used book store/coffee shop, or work in a game store like Millennium (Rochester, NY), in a capacity where I have actual power but don't own the place. And this list is why I haven't finished school yet. :down:

Don't let it get you down, your list is very similar to mine and the same reason that I don't have my degree yet either. I got tired of paying money to be in school when I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

Consequently, I have been working in libraries for the past 10 years. Five at the public library and have just recently passed 5 at my current job at the Veterinary Medical Library at Kansas State University. All in all, not a bad job and I get to work with and help out people all day which is very rewarding, however, the pay flat out sucks.

Dream job would be something involving a Professional or Division I Football team. Something in research or public relations would probably fit me perfectly.