What Do You Do?

Yukimura

I am a sales manager at a Lincoln-Mercury Dealership. And even for all the stress and B.S. I love what I do and the people I work for, so I can't imagine doing anything else.

I too am a father (two boys 7 & 3) and husband yes the more enjoyable of my full time jobs.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As i was working, i thought this might be an interesting topic of discussion - what do you do to make a living?

However, this sint my dream job, ::P:

id rather be working in the video game industry, for such prestigious companies as Ubi Soft, Rockstar, Relic Ent, Id Software, Lucasarts, Gearbox Software, and the list goes on.

I have a day job that I don't talk about and I paint for Reaper, which I do talk about :-)

If it's the video-game industry yall are talking about: My brother does work in the game industry (fizz factor games)... I've had contacts in Ensemble entertainment & Blizzard & 7th Level (if anyone remembers 7th Level) in the past, but haven't seen them in yeeeaarss...

The trick to the video-game biz is get a job with any of 'em... prove yourself... then work towards the company that's the best fit... Back when I did hang out with vid-game peeps there was alot of cross-pollination going on... it's really not that big of an industry and ALOT of the folks are buddies whether or not they are putting out competing products.... yah, sorta lame general advice... but it's the best I've got...

Believe it or not... there was a big slew of dallas art academy graduates who were picked up to do game art... in other words: look for schools that have good placement rates for the biz... look at the work of the folks that got placed... and strive for it, eh?

Sorta the same process for all creative yet business like jobs, eh?

Eh? I digress? okee....

I am a software developer. I love it when I have the pleasure of working with good people and the problems are interesting. I am currently doing it for Chase Bank. It's a good place to work, although I'm not sure if I fit in with my current group or not yet, but I think things are looking up.

I wrote my first computer program in 1981 and I was hooked. I graduated from college in '93, spent a couple of years out of the country and then began working in the industry.

What is my dream job? That would be working for myself.

--

To the person who works at Taco Bell. I did that in college. I hope they're a better company now. They didn't seem to treat their employees very well (even long term ones).

To the co-op in student software. More power to man! (woman?) It can be a rewarding career if you really like doing it.

To the person who said they were interested in learning CGI, I say, "Get started now." A fantastic site is http://www.cgtalk.com. A free modelling program which is of excellent quality can be had at http://www.wings3d.com I have started learning 3d modelling in the last year or so. It's fun and intesting.

And to anybody who is out there hating what they do? Life is too short. Find something that will make you happy. You can do it.

Good luck!

I work doing software QA for a company that makes EEG machines. It's a good job, nice people, and pays the bills.

Ideally, I'd have a job where I'd be paid a lot of money to stay home, paint minis, make terrain, play with toys, be a daddy (no kids yet), and occasionally have a deadline to meet.

My absolute dream job?

Like people couldn't guess. My dream is to be an Egyptologist, complete with a degree. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. Time, responsibilities, finances, and circumstances beyond my control (grandmother dying, mother moving in with me, car wreck putting me in physical therapy, losing my job, etcetera) seem to continually prevent my furthering my college education. :down:

One dream did come true, however, in the form of a young boy, now 15 months old. He's a bundle of joyful energy. :wub:

I have what I consider to be a very fun and interesting job (and I can actually say that without any hint of sarcasm). I am a two-year-old minder at a preschool and a nanny. In the mornings, I teach the toddlers how to do such astounding things as separate from parents and refrain from biting classmates. After that, I work for a family (I've been with them 4 1/2 years now!) with three children ages 13, 11 (the one who got me into minis), and 5. The 5 year old is autistic.

As for my dream job....EXACTLY what I'm doing now, only maybe a little bit closer to home. I used to work for Barnes & Noble (5 years-ended up in lower-level management) and HATED it after a while. The company always wanted to save more money and did so by cutting back our staff hours, expecting us to sell more books, and then yelling at us for failing our secret shops because the secret shopper couldn't find a free employee to help them....Which poses an interesting job prospect for whomever it was that wanted to get paid to shop-go be a secret shopper!

The beauty of my job is that I get to make a real impact in the lives of some pretty wonderful kids, but I still get to be selfish with my free time. Much as I truly admire all you moms and dads out there, I just couldn't handle the 24/7 job.

I've been an electrician for a little over 14 years. Residential the first 3-1/2 years,commercial ever since then. When I started with our service department about a year and a half ago, that signalled the official beginning of it. I like my job and the work itself but not necessarily the people that go with it sometime. But it's always cool to wire up something fairly complicated and watch the bells and whistles work when you're done. Gives a sense of satisfaction. And I've gotten into the realm of pretty decent money the last few years.

My dream job would be either playing guitar and writing music for a living, or painting minis, but I've got a loooong way to go for that one.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned raising a geek. My son is 10 years old...he started playing mechwarrior dark age at around 6....now owns a full blown space marine army for 40k and can quote every line from Napoleon Dynamite and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. He is so much the gamergeek...just like his dad... :wub:

Oh and to those of you discussing retiring from the military, I look up to you guys....I did 6 and got out of the USMC...Now Im 34 and realize I would be 4 years from retiring right now if I had stayed in....very very jealous of those who stayed in....though I prolly wouldnt have my wonderful wife and son now had I stayed in....so I guess I prolly wouldnt change it even if I could.

Didn't we have one of these last year? ::P:

Anyways, still painting minis for a living...getting pretty good at it too. :B):

I was in Reprographics for my whole 20's almost, then at around age 30 I had a conversation with a really happy older gentleman in his house in Beverly Hills (my girlfriend's grandfather at the time) and we got to talking over coffee about his life and successes and how he worked himself up from a lowly salesman in a men's clothing shop to an extemely wealthy retired chain clothing store owner.

Here's what he told me that changed my life. I'll never forget it.

"You want to know what the secret of my success is? Well I'll tell ya. You gotta find something that you absolutely LOVE to do. Learn to do it well, put everything you've got into it, make it your life, and I'll tell you what...your success will follow.

I spent some time working things out in my life so that I could pursue the things which mattered most to me. Art. Right after I made the decision to open up to letting success happen to me, and not sacrifice my dreams for an hourly wage anymore, I happened across the miniatures hobby. I picked it up as a time killer and quickly got consumed by the hobby. I devoted myself to learning, experimenting, breaking myself of preconceptions, reading, exploring techniques, asking questions, and otherwise just generally "putting everything I have into it." Full Throttle.

And now, with the understanding and help of my friends, their families, my fiancee, her family and powers that be in the mysterious universe of infinite potentials, I'm doing what I love to do, what I obsess about, and I've learned to do it well.

If success can be measured in happiness and gratitude, then I am eminently successfull. The money is always enough, to pay my bills, to keep me in supply, and to make a little on the side for little things I enjoy...which happens to be minis anyway lol. As long as Reaper keeps putting out new minis, I'll keep painting them and selling them. As long as people have an interest in buying them, I'll be okay. Everyday I'm astounded by the direction in which the sculpts and new figs from Reaper are going...they have come so far in the quality and level of craftmanship and sheer beauty in their line of minatures that it totally gives me inspiration to keep painting.

So yeah Dream job and all, I've got that down. I still play the lotto of course, it's a damn competitive field to be in...the money is pretty much capped out a certain level doing this, don't kid yourself if you think differently. But if I won the lotto, I could be painting these minis for my own collection and not selling them. ::D:

Here's what he told me that changed my life. I'll never forget it.

"You want to know what the secret of my success is? Well I'll tell ya. You gotta find something that you absolutely LOVE to do. Learn to do it well, put everything you've got into it, make it your life, and I'll tell you what...your success will follow.

At the very least, if you love what you do you will never work another day in your life...

Good advice nonetheless, it needed repeating.

I'm a co-op software developer.  It means I'm paid little but at least I get some experience before I graduate.

My dream job is to be independently wealthy.

I am going to miss our Co-op. It has been nice to have a lacky and the guy is a great guy to boot.

My job is in the toilet, literally. I work sales for a major Plumbing Manufacturer.