What Do You Do?

Yukimura

I have what I consider to be a very fun and interesting job (and I can actually say that without any hint of sarcasm).  I am a two-year-old minder at a preschool and a nanny.  In the mornings, I teach the toddlers how to do such astounding things as separate from parents and refrain from biting classmates.  After that, I work for a family (I've been with them 4 1/2 years now!) with three children ages 13, 11 (the one who got me into minis), and 5.  The 5 year old is autistic.

As for my dream job....EXACTLY what I'm doing now, only maybe a little bit closer to home.  I used to work for Barnes & Noble (5 years-ended up in lower-level management) and HATED it after a while.  The company always wanted to save more money and did so by cutting back our staff hours, expecting us to sell more books, and then yelling at us for failing our secret shops because the secret shopper couldn't find a free employee to help them....Which poses an interesting job prospect for whomever it was that wanted to get paid to shop-go be a secret shopper!

The beauty of my job is that I get to make a real impact in the lives of some pretty wonderful kids, but I still get to be selfish with my free time.  Much as I truly admire all you moms and dads out there, I just couldn't handle the 24/7 job.

I used to think (before I had kids) that day care was a racket. Then I came in one Monday and I was turned around.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly I'm employed at a grocery store right now filling shelves and helping people out. Not exactly the job I imagined for myself pushing nearly 30 (especially since I did it for 5 years in my early 20's). But you do what you have to do, it is some of the only work experience that translates easily from y life in Canada to here in Australia so it is what I am doing for now, unless management becomes a reality within th next two years I won't be doing it all that long. I need a job that can support my wife and possibly a mortgage while I am the sole breadwinner when we decide to have children.

Dream job...I'd love to simply go to school for the rest of my life, take a minimal course load and just enjoy the learning process, I find it to be extremely rewarding.

Real Dream job, I want to teach, I always have, but for some reason I havn't gotten off my butt and done an after degree in education that I need to. Some day I will, but right now I'm not in the position to do it. For now I'll do what I have to, and in the meantime enjoy the time I have with my wife to the fullest.

I don't do much right now. Its a hard market to get a job around here.....

I've delivered pizzas, life guarded at a pool, and set up the frames for screen in ciniplexes. Pizza delivery has definately been one of my funnest jobs and isn't far from my dream job:

Sitting and Thinking! I really wish I could get a job with a philosophy degree that didn't have to do with being a tink tank and compramising my persanol inegrity in order to find such and such a demographic..... If I could just be a philosopher..... I realise it wouldn't be much of a job... but this is dreamjobs we're talking here...

Real Dream job, I want to teach, I always have, but for some reason I havn't gotten off my butt and done an after degree in education that I need to. Some day I will, but right now I'm not in the position to do it. For now I'll do what I have to, and in the meantime enjoy the time I have with my wife to the fullest.

At least in TX, there are tutoring jobs which encompass all year round teaching and learning. Some of the alternativ schools (that are results based) don't necessarily need certifications. By results based: The school type I'm talking about assists people learn the information necessary to take University certification courses... In essence, you tutor for the amount of time necessary to successfully complet a pass/fail class on a particular subject.

That make any sense? I forget who originally told me this but "It's not how smart or talented you are, it's how determined you are"

Good luck!

My Dream Job?

For the longest time, it was to have a job. I got laid off from my first job in 2001, working as a programmer since 1999. Then, I was unemployed for a year. No one was hiring. Then I did contract development for a year, which was difficult in that support from my employer was only half-way. First they wanted it, then they didn't, then they wanted it... They let me go and hired the software company's consultants, for the product I was using. Then I worked in a machine shop for 9 months, then I worked as a software developer contractor at General Dynamics, then worked at Wal-mart, and finally, now I'm a full-time employee at Amazon.com.

I feel a bit out of sorts. The people are nice, the job pays well, but I'm one of the first employees in a newly formed group, with little direction, and desperately working on trying to get my bearings. It's a bit of a eyore moment, as my sister says.

"Ooooh nooo, what am I gonna do?" :)

Dream job? The most frustrating thing in software is sometimes just trying to get things done. The amount of work in trying to get things setup, configured and installed, just so you can do your job, or dig around for info in a large software project.

Dream job wise, I don't know. But I spent the last 2 days of GenCon 2004 working with Kim on a large dragon at GenCon, and it was fun. I love sculpting, I just sculpted my first miniature for a client, and got a metal master of it yesterday. It feels great.

So I'm torn. It's either art or programming. :)

Currently I work in technology for a bank. That's my short answer. The long answer involves things like:

Volume software license compliance

Technology asset manager

Volume software contract administrator

Software maintenance administrator

System administrator for our internal and external call center software

Database programmer

Project manager

Project analyst

and a whole bunch of other stuff that it would just make my head hurt to actually list out.

And my dream job? The more I think about it, it would involve pretty much doing what I do right now. I'm generally never bored and I get to make life easier for people. And I get to work from home on a regular basis.

So I'll just sit back and count my blessings. ::D:

I'm a mechanical engineer at the local water utility. I do large capital improvement projects - primarily on the clean side of the system. It is interesting work, as we have deal with all sorts of people.

My dream job would be custom gher (or yurt) builder. I've made, or taught people how to make, 4 of these incredible tents.

Sadly I work graveyard shift at my local Albertson's, stockin shelves & basically being a mule for the lazy day management there. I don't mind the job, cause I don't really sleep very well at nights & I've been there for close to 12 years (AUG 2 is my annv date), but in my little rathole of a town here on the eastern border of Oregon, not much else in my town to do unless your into ag or car sales.

Like I said overall I don't mind the job, I work with 2 guys I've known since I started there (started out as a bagger) & both are great people to be around, but the nightwork does hurt socializing with my family thou. My kids are 3 & 7 right now, so it doesn't help that I have to sleep while they are up or whatnot.

I wouldn't mind workin for Home Depot here but for some reason the store doesn't seem to be doin that well, not as many people there as I thought there would be (must be due to the high prices & that nonhometown bumpkin feel you don't get).

What I wouldn't mind doing--hmmm I would love to work as a carpenter or something that involves building houses. This has always intrigued me but I've never really went about looking into it, not sure where to begain really. The the thought of actually being able to help buildin something sounds excitiing & rewarding. Also I wouldn't mind doing something with computers as well, wether it be in the gaming industry or something related, that would be fun, but I'm not sure if I could take the sittin behind a desk or cubicle feel thou, thou I'm not in the best of shape I do like physical jobs vs sationary jobs

---thou anymore I wish I had a job over on the Portland/Coastal side of OR, that's where the cash is at vs the dead side of the state!!!! :B):

Randy M

I work as an Engineering Assistant/Materials Coordinator/Front Desk Receptionist (of all gawdforsaken things!) at a tyrannical transformer plant, getting paid slave wages, yet having a rather low task job. formerly worked as a phone surveyor, Republican party gopher, and common wage laborer.

with my present job i could sit back and work here for 25 years +, gaming my life away after hours. not me. not my style.

I have actuall ability to become a creative individual, as i have talents in illustration, computer graphics, writing, etc. i could call it a dream job, but then again, this is a very real possibilty for me despite my depresive mindset and poverty plagued life. if i could only get there....

Dream Job? assuming we can dream???:

Hero.

yup. hero. gun slinging, fast car driving, evil organization overthrowing SOB who gets the girl. and i'd have something other that a trench' with shades.

last thing: for all of you out there who are Parents, I SALUTE YOU!!! Honestly, you guys do a killer job for no wages that the world needs good people to do. in a society where family is giving way to selfish ambition you people have what it takes to change that: a young mind that is in your hands.

Right now I'm unemployed. I was an automotive service advisor, but I was sick for a few weeks (and although I had doctors notes) and they fired me. Since Illinois is a right to work state I have no recourse. So, I'm collecting unemployment, and trying to find a job that won't aggrevate my lungs. After being a service advisor for almost 5 years and a district manager for MOPAR for 2 years, kind of hard to find a new industry to jump into. I'm starting to paint to keep my mind sane and hopefully become good enough to make money at it too. My dream job would be continuing to take care of my complimentary half (he's not my better half just as I'm not his) and some day have my daughter live with me instead of my ex.

I work for an insurance company. I write the insurance policies (life and disability insurance) after the underwriters figure out how much it's going to cost the policyholders. I enjoy having to know a lot and do research, and using language to be really precise. What I do is actually helpful to people, too. I've been disabled myself, and boy was I glad I had insurance!

If I had my dream job it would be something similar to my real job, but with much more respect and a much bigger salary. I'd love to be a proofreader of game-related materials. No one proofreads anymore - they just spellcheck and call it good. :angry:

I have actuall ability to become a creative individual, as i have talents in illustration, computer graphics, writing, etc. i could call it a dream job, but then again, this is a very real possibilty for me despite my depresive mindset and poverty plagued life. if i could only get there....

Dream Job? assuming we can dream???:

Hero.

OK I've seen some of yer work and found it quite impressive. If you can reproduce that quailty on a regular baise then I think you should try submitting some of yer artwork to various companies.

By the way, while I didn't mention this before I'm also a professional sidekick (as is my father before me and his father before him). So if you ever get that hero job, look me up :B):

Oh, well... if we're talking Dream Jobs, then I want to be a Bond Villian. Super rich, cool gadgets, beautiful women who may or may not turn against me at the moment of the Superspy's weakness....

That, and I wanna say great lines like 'Homer! Which is your least favorite country? Italy or France'...

--LSH

I got Political Science and Criminal Justice undergrad degrees and said "Now what" and decided on Law School. I have been a martial Arts instructor since 1989 and worked for my father's excavating business since I was 12. During Law School, while others were clerking for chump change, I was bouncing and having a great time, not quite like Roadhouse, but lots of fun. Now I work as a policy analyst for State Government. In a year and a half, hat will likely change with the change in administration, at which time I'll go into private practice.

Dream Job: Body-painter for the SI swimsuit models. Duh?!?!?! :wub: