Stacking bonuses

shakhak

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could a mod split this off into a "stacking" topic?

Anyway, the only rule regarding stacking is that equipment doesn't, because it says so in the equipment section. The errata even clarifies, as I quoted before, that skills do unless they specifically state otherwise.

It has been clearly stated in various examples that multiple buffs can stack; the only exception to that is equipment (because it states so) or skills that specifically state it (like Scrye Shot).

I have never seen a rule that says you only get one situational modifier, so until I do, in games I play I will continue to allow all stacking other than equipment.

Could a mod split this off into a "stacking" topic?

Anyway, the only rule regarding stacking is that equipment doesn't, because it says so in the equipment section. The errata even clarifies, as I quoted before, that skills do unless they specifically state otherwise.

It has been clearly stated in various examples that multiple buffs can stack; the only exception to that is equipment (because it states so) or skills that specifically state it (like Scrye Shot).

I have never seen a rule that says you only get one situational modifier, so until I do, in games I play I will continue to allow all stacking other than equipment.

Done and done. Topic split.

I agree, that's how I've always played it. Bryans response(still in the Cavalry Topic) lead me to believe that sitiational modifiers didn't stack.

Seems like a SA that grants a -2, and a SA that grants -1, should give a total of -3, when combined with cover, or flight they would add another -1. Giving a possible total of -4 or -5 to a ranged attack.

I don't think this should have been split, my questions were in reference to the Cav. topic and bryans response.

I'd think they would...

I would have thought so as well, but if Reaper states that Deflect and Cavalry don't stack (as Bryan has suggested) then it seems entire possible that other situational modifiers don't stack. Bryan has stated that he can find nowhere that says Cavalry and Deflect could or should stack, I would put forward that I can find nowhere that says situational modifiers don't and won't stack. If Cavalry and Deflect can't stack then there seems presidence that situational modifiers as a whole don't stack unless Reaper makes some sort of clarification (ie. Abilities that offer the same type of situational modifier don't stack).

What about spells like Bless, don't these offer up situational modifiers as well?

My personal opinion is why shouldn't they stack? who cares, as long as Reaper doesn't put Cavalry and Deflect on the same model the only way to add deflect is by paying for a Magic item. I mean whether you have a DV 13, 14, 15, or 16 against ranged attacks I'm still going to hit you when I roll a 10 (and nearly every ranged unit in the game, with the exception of a few characters is going to have to roll a 10 when they are rolling against a DV 13+).

I simply don't think it's wortht he effort for Reaper to go out of their way to introduce extra rules and possibly more confusion (as seems to have been the case with people asking about cover, and flying situational modifiers), simply to prevent the Deflect + Cavalry combo that I don't really feel is all that effective even if you spend the points on it.

Just my thoughts.

Well said SE and I completely agree.

I would also say all modifiers stack because of this:

If you you have +1(bless) and -1(cover) to a RAV which one is dominent if they don't stack(or combine) for a total of +0. Rules would have had been established to cover things like this if they didn't stack, and we would have all ran into this much earlier.

I love rules discussion ::D:

OR

Since so long as Deflect and Cavalry don't appear on the same model, if Reaper doesn't want the two abilities to be taken together perhaps the easiest way to avoid doing so is to ammend 'Improved Protection' since it is the only way to get the two abilities on the same model.

Improved Protection

Category: Armor

Bonus: +1(DV), Grants the Deflect special ability. Models that already have the Deflect or Cavalry special Abilities gain no further benefit from improved protection.

Still I really have to agree, just let them stack, who cares, I still hit on a 10.

Heh, on the way into work, I was thinking about models with shields but not deflect.

It would be rather cool, to be able to just add equipment - Shield, that grants you Deflect. Have it cost 5 points. Difference between Improved Protection +1(DV), +Deflect and Lesser Magic Armor +1(DV)

Stacking issues would of course need to be addressed to make sure.

Quote: Bryan said

In the second Printing book, Target has Deflect (P 64) grants the attacker a -1 Situational Mod. It further states that Target has Cavalry grants the attacker a -2 Situational Mod.

This might very well be the case, but in the PDF version of the 2nd printing revisions there is no indication that Deflect has in anyway be reworded, in addition Flyer still states it grants enemies a '-1 ranged combat situational modifier', which is a bit problematic if 'ranged combat situational modifiers' are legacy.

Or perhaps I misunderstood what Storminator said in the 'Cavalry SA' thread? Which very well could be the case :rolleyes:

Quote: Bryan said
In the second Printing book, Target has Deflect (P 64) grants the attacker a -1 Situational Mod. It further states that Target has Cavalry grants the attacker a -2 Situational Mod.

This might very well be the case, but in the PDF version of the 2nd printing revisions there is no indication that Deflect has in anyway be reworded, in addition Flyer still states it grants enemies a '-1 ranged combat situational modifier', which is a bit problematic if 'ranged combat situational modifiers' are legacy.

Or perhaps I misunderstood what Storminator said in the 'Cavalry SA' thread? Which very well could be the case :rolleyes:

I said "ranged defensive situational modifiers" are legacy. In beta there were mods to the target DV AND mods to the attack roll. Now everything is a mod to the attack roll.

You'll note that the chart on page 64 has Deflect granting a -1 mod, and the listing of Deflect on page 69 has it granting a +1 mod.

PS