• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the change in rules that all archers are Adept, it would not really be possible to field an ALL ranged combat force, unless you were going to make a Freelance company, or you were going to make a Skeeter/Bull Orc small point size army.

I can't imagine one would survive for very long unless it was a wide open battlefield, and even then, in a couple turns, the ranged fire would not be sustained, and the melee troops would just mow through everything and your archers with 0 MAV (maybe 1 if lucky) would need 10's to hit the troops.

To counter range heavy troops, use your own ranged troops to counter fire. Make use of terrain. Protect your elites and leaders with grunts. Move fast and engage in melee when archers are at a disadvantage. Use spell casters to Hold, Fireball, etc. A range heavy force will do their most damage in the first couple rounds when the armies are approaching and an opponent cannot necessarily counter attack because of lack of b2b or lesser range. Once the gap is closed, if there is not some ground support, those archers will be running scared and praying for 10's.

Pete uses this very effectively w/ Balthon and Ymirilix the False.

Except last week, when Balthon flubbed the teleport roll (needed 3 or better).

Generally though it is devastating. And if he doesn't use Yummy to wipe out all your archers in a heartbeat, he'll carve up your biggest baddest spell casters like Thanksgiving Turkey.

Yummy + Greater Magic Weapon = 4 attacks at +7 w/ Warmaster :blink:

We have a player here that uses one of the new Reven captains that can take 12 guys. So, he'll take the captain and 11 Reven archers. :blink: Trust me. It sucks. Then, he has a ton of other smaller units for support. He doesn't need to take any more archers to be able to whoop my butt any time he likes! :wacko:

Wild Bill :blues:

I'm not saying it isn't expensive. But, it is true none-the-less. And very deadly. I have only beaten that configuration one time and that was because I attempted to completely cover the playing field with terrain. It wasn't technically cheating, but as close to it as I could legally get. :B):

I would like to see a Freelance All-Archer army just once to see how it would do. I would think it would do a lot better than you might realize. Pick a bunch of archers that have Marksman, and I shudder to think of the machine gun effect my guys would have to walk through. :wacko:

Wild Bill :blues:

I see no problem with this at all, I mean nearly any force in the game can get 10 archers onto the field using a captain model, 1 more archer in the unit shouldn't make or break the game.

There are ways around archers, I would seriously suggest playing an a terrain laden battlefield in which your opponents archers are far more hindered for a few games and see if he still thinks they are worth taking.

One of my friends says this often: The game is what you want it to be.

I'm all for that.

More specifically, I'm ok with number crunchers, I'm ok with folks who play an army for aesthetics, I'm ok with folks who drive straight across the table, I'm ok with folks who hide behind every tree stump.

What I like: closely contested battles... but I also like watching my army crumble to pieces.

Not so fun: Cakewalks...

That's my spirit of the game... but I recognize that others have their own style of enjoyment...

OK , so you can put "Whatever!' in a troop BUT it's not something that I'd do to win a GAME . And by "Spirit" I meant fun/enjoyment . If someones going to put together a list that's damn near invinceable is not going to be FUN but it doesnm't mean I'm not up to the challeng of trying to beat it . <_<

I don't see 11 Archers on the field as either cheesy or invincible, nor a tactic employed simply to win the game. I mean lets get real, the whole intent of a points based system is to allow flexibility, and creativity, while keeping things in check. Nearly all mini gamers to some extent are power gamers to at least some degree, it's a fact, in most cases we're all looking for that competative combination that is fun to play, and that we can torment our opponents with even if we arn't obsessed with winning. I know I could care less whether I win or lose, but if my army gets smacked around every time I take it out I'm going to make some changes to be more competative.

11 Archers arn't the exclusive domain of the Reven either, any Warlord can field 11, and there are at least a few Captains that can (Kentaur comes to mind), otherwise every faction can field at least a group of 9 under a Sgt.

If there is a problem here I would suggest it isn't the quantity of Archers, I would suggest perhaps that the Bull orcs are simply an extremely good bargain (perhaps too much so on a battlefield without adequete cover). Still, while I've seen them used to pretty good result I don't think they've ever really dominated any of the games Brushmaster and myself have played, although usually there are only 6 on the field at a time.

75 points worth of Firestorm would likely put a world of hurt on such an archer unit (just my thoughts).

OK , so you can put "Whatever!' in a troop BUT it's not something that I'd do to win a GAME . And by "Spirit" I meant fun/enjoyment . If someones going to put together a list that's damn near invinceable is not going to be FUN but it doesnm't mean I'm not up to the challeng of trying to beat it .  <_<

What we do is pick the faction you are going to play and then tries to make the best, hardest to beat and "damn near invincible" army. The other guy does the same and we see who can win. We also try to use tactics that are also challenging to add another layer of strategy.

I believe it is the job of the game designers to create the rules. The rules should limit what is not in the spirit of the game since they are ‘creating’ the spirit.

This just might be the way we play in this neck of the woods, but to make a judgmental statement like this is I find in poor taste.

I believe there is a spectrum:

Story / Fluff <--------------------------------------> Tactics / Strategy

Most gamers fall somewhere on this spectrum and often have prejudices toward the other end of the spectrum. :down: I have also been told by people on these boards that Reaper is to the left and not to the right (this was not from official Reaper team though it was not denied) which I find too bad. ::(: I like that most games have both aspects even though I fall more to the right. I have many friends who fall to the left. They usually have a fun army with a lot of flavor and perhaps even a story behind it. I enjoy playing the games and socializing even though I do not find them challenging.

If it is any consolation I believe Warlord falls further to the right then it does to the left, certainly it does at this point anyway, look at the amount of fluff and background in the Warlord book, there really isn't that much that explains what each army is about; this is of course changing with the release of the faction books. But currently i play the game because of how it plays (fast and simple), the options available in my army builds and in how I employ my force. I've chosen some of the factions I play because of the fluff and others becuase of how they perform in the game (meaning I like the style of play they bring to the board, not necessarily because I think them the most powerful).

Just my thoughts.