Breakers

ugluk69

Ok my little mind was spinning about Warlord and tactics to use with my breakers. Lets say you have a line up like so:

BLGG

OOOO

B=breaker L=Leader type G=Grunt and the Os are orcs

The fights have been split up, the first to fight is the breaker who lets say kills the orc to his front. Can he immediately do his move with his breaker special ability so now we have this situation:

_ LGG

BOOO

I know the breaker is done fighting this turn, however will the leader now get a +1 for being supported by the breaker this turn or does he have to fight it out prior to the breaker doin his breaker thing?:huh:

Thanks in advance!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember right (and I could easily be wrong!), the breaker SA says something to the effect it is used after combat is over. Meaning, no, you can't move your breaker model after he attacks. I'm pretty sure I've tried that when I first started playing and immediately got told no. Otherwise, it'd be way to powerful.

Wild Bill :blues:

I am not good with this rule, but I would have to think that the answer might actually be yes. And here is my reasoning:

If two breakers can open a hole that the rest of the troop can go thru, that would mean to me that the only way the rest of the troop can take advantage of that is if they are doing it on the same turn, otherwise the enemy can move out of the way or plug the hole before they could use it and then what good would it be. So, if they are doing it on the same turn then the leader in your case would have the option of either running thru the hole or running up and attacking

example:

beginning of turn

phase 0:

BLGB

OOOO

phase 1:

..LG

..BB

OOOO

phase 3 (option 1):

OB LG BO

phase 3 (option 2):

L.......G

OB..BO

In option 2 L and G decide to run to each side and attack rather than run thru the hole.

But, I am definitely not a rules mongrel. I could be wrong. Jut going based on my memory of how it works.

SOS has it right.

They could not lend support help in the melee attack until that troops' next activation since all Melee attacks occur simultaneously.

Another good application of this SA is to send them in to a front line. Drop the models in that front line, and then move over their base width, to open up LOS corridors for your archers to fire down your opponent's gullet.

Remember all combat of the same type happens at the same time. Now the following activiation of yer troop yer leader would recieve a support bonus from the breaker (and vise versa).

The question would then be would Breaker be considered the same type of combat as the type of combat that the L and G would do.

Movement can occur at any time, and not all models need to move simultaneously in the troop.

Breakers could open up a hole, and let the rest of the grunts move in to initiate b2b with the enemy but not attack.

Breakers could open up a hole, and let another troop move through the opening to kill the exposed underbelly of the foe, rather than blocknig the way.

Breakers could open up a hole and let the archers in the same troop fire away and avoid the blocked LOS.

The question would then be would Breaker be considered the same type of combat as the type of combat that the L and G would do.

All melee combat for a troop is resolved simultaneously.

All ranged combat for a troop is resolved simultaneously.

All spell casting for a troop is resolved simultaneously.

In order for the breaker to use their SA, they must attack and drop their opponent. This means that they are attacking and dropping their opponent at the same time the Leader and other grunt are attacking their opponents. Once this is resolved, then the Breaker does their shift, since all attacks (including the Defensive Strike) occur before damage is resolved. This means the Breaker could conceiveably drop his guy, but not be able to do his own shift, because he was dropped by the Defensive Strike.

Couple notes here...

Don't the rules also specify that you can only add support if you do some action other than close combat?

As for breakers and their movement, the rules say it can move up to the width of it's own base. It doesn't say it has to be to the side...

And lastly... this is just a nit-picky thing, but in the original description, it listed the opponents of the breakers as orcs... Most of the orcs have toughness. The rules also say that the opposing model has to be removed for the breaker SA to trigger, and the model being stunned isn't removed yet.

Ben

Don't the rules also specify that you can only add support if you do some action other than close combat?

I've never seen such a rule - that's why I support from beside with an extra attack and a +1 rather than from behind with Reach for just the +1.

The rules also say that the opposing model has to be removed for the breaker SA to trigger, and the model being stunned isn't removed yet.

Interesting...we have always replaced it with tokens or dead markers, as the rules state that if a down model is preventing movement to shift it out of the way, but I can see your point.

Page 62, Second Edition, description of Support, first bulleted item on the page...

"Models in valid front side Base-to-base contact with an enemy Model always lend Support to attacks conducted against that enemy by friendly Models, even if they might themselves be conducting an action other than Close Combat (such as casting a spell)."

Not sure how to interpret that line... Is it saying that you can do things other than CC AND still lend support, or that you can only support if you're doing something other than CC? *scratches head*

Thanks,

Ben