Suggestion for some new strikes

Spartan6

I'd like to suggest a few new strikes. Guys, help me out with some mechanics for these.

1. Counter Battery- You're Fire-Finder radar set back at HQ finally tracked the trajectory of the enemy artillery and can tell the "Redlegs" where to fire some rounds to eliminate that pesky enemy artillery.

2. Air Superiority- HQ finally honored your request to get some tactical fighters in here and get rid of the annoying strafing aircraft that keep tearing your guys up.

3. Ironhand- Some nut-job tac-air pilots are going after the Cruise Missile launchers deep behind enemy lines.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Counter Strikes? make them a bit more costly since you'd be using them outside the turn sequence and they could really work well. They'd also help to eat up some of the points allowance for strikes in a defensive way.

I like this idea quite a bit.

1. Counter Battery-  You're Fire-Finder radar set back at HQ finally tracked the trajectory of the enemy artillery and can tell the "Redlegs" where to fire some rounds to eliminate that pesky enemy artillery.

Play immediately after the enemy's activation in which an artillery-based strike is called. No further artillery-based strikes can be called for five rounds.

Cost: Depends on what the new costs of artillery strikes are, but about twice the cost of a strike.

2. Air Superiority-  HQ finally honored your request to get some tactical fighters in here and get rid of the annoying strafing aircraft that keep tearing your guys up.

Two versions:

Intercept: The fast-movers performing the strafing run are bounced and drawn into a dogfight, negating the strafing run. Costs the same as a strafing run. (Perhaps strafing runs could be used for this purpose, as the trend in present-day modern aircraft is towards dual-purpose F/A.)

Air Superiority: Full air superiority, played on your turn, prevents enemy strafing runs for five turns. Costs twice the cost of a strafing run.

3. Ironhand-  Some nut-job tac-air pilots are going after the Cruise Missile launchers deep behind enemy lines.

Called when the cruise missile appears, destroying it. Costs the same as the missile.

Add orbital superiority, played on your turn, costs two-three times the cost of an orbital strike, and prevents orbital strikes for five rounds.

Air Superiority - Any Strafing Run made within 12" of a Model with the AA Special Ability may be prevented by the Model with AA. The player controlling the AA Model rolls 1d10 + RAV + 2 if the Model also has Shredder.

On a result of 10+, the strafing aircraft was suppressed and unable to perform his strafing run. The Strike is returned to the opposing player's Strike Pool and may be used later.

On a result of 15+, the strafing aircraft is shot down. The Strike has no effect and the opposing player loses it as he had played it normally.

Lead Umbrella - any Artillary Strike targeted within 6" of a Model with the Shredder Special Ability may be prevented by the Shredder Model. After the active player declares the Strike's target location, the opposing player may declare which Shredder equipped Models will be attempting to disrupt the barrage. Only Models within 6" of the target location may join in the attempt. The opposing player rolls 1d10 and adds 1 for each Model participating in the attempt. On a roll of 10+ the Artillary Stike is successfully detonated in mid-air, causing no effect. If the roll fails, continue resolving the Artillary Strike as normal.

Models that participate in Lead Umbrella may not perform Defensive Fire during this activation.

Response to Joel's idea:

The idea is interesting, but I would have to say that Joel's 5 turn analogy is too heavy. I might say two turns (that turn and the next) at most. Otherwise, you made having strikes pointless. Cause I can guarantee you if I know I have 5 free rounds of not having to worry about an enemy FIST team, then I can take 4 turns to kill it. And they wont have been able to do anything during that time.

Actually thinking about it more, no it should not carry over to further rounds. And yes it would still cost more to defend against a strike than to have the strike. Cause you are talking caling a defensive counterstrike at a moments notice.

I'd say 1.5 times the cost of the strike to negate it. And even then it wouldn't necessarily be automatic, but rather it might just change the RAV value of the strike.

Maybe a -2 to the RAV of whatever it is.

Are those SAs or "Counter Strikes"?

They'd actually be worded as part of the rules for Strikes.

And yes, I know its fairly impossible to shoot down an artillary shell, Spartan and I have already talked about it. That's why you only get +1 for each Shredder model instead of using its RAV or something similar.

2. Air Superiority-  HQ finally honored your request to get some tactical fighters in here and get rid of the annoying strafing aircraft that keep tearing your guys up.

Two versions:

Intercept: The fast-movers performing the strafing run are bounced and drawn into a dogfight, negating the strafing run. Costs the same as a strafing run. (Perhaps strafing runs could be used for this purpose, as the trend in present-day modern aircraft is towards dual-purpose F/A.)

Air Superiority: Full air superiority, played on your turn, prevents enemy strafing runs for five turns. Costs twice the cost of a strafing run.

3. Ironhand-  Some nut-job tac-air pilots are going after the Cruise Missile launchers deep behind enemy lines.

Called when the cruise missile appears, destroying it. Costs the same as the missile.

Ok, I may be splitting hairs here but as a former AF guy I think Ironhand should be written as "Long range scanners have detected an incoming cruise missile and strikefighters are being vectored to a possible intercept."

Instead of destroying the missile outright I think it should grant the defender one free die roll to destroy the missile BEFORE it appears on the board. If the die roll fails the missile is then placed on the board for regular play. The cost should be the same as the cruise missile strike. (Like I said, splitting hairs... :B): )

As far as the Intercept counter-strike... I like it. Joel's idea makes a lot of sense. For the Air Superiority counter strike, I agree with DChihorn, 5 turns seems like a long time. Air Superiority is a cast iron [email protected]#$% to achieve and no enemy is going to allow you free reign of the skies for very long. I think it should be two turns and cost three time as much as a strafing run.

Just my two cents...

Wouldn't that kind of screw over the other guys gunships... I mean, if your side had Air Superiority they sure as hell wouldn't let any gunships linger around the battlefield.

We're just talking about the off-board strafing run stuff, not the on-board gunship models.

Eh, fair enough.

So, if someone has three strafing run strikes in their pool and you bust out Air Superiority counter strike then all the strafing runs would be eleminated?

I still think if someone does use Air Superiority the opposing force should have their gunship movements halved, to simulate the effects having to fly CAS in hostile skies...

Interesting ideas.

I agree that negating various kinds of strikes for 5 rounds seems a little too much.

A couple of ideas along these lines:

- Possibly modify the base Strafing run rule to say that for each model with the AA SA within 6" of the 'strafing line' gives a cumulative -2 on the RAV to hit. (due to ground fire interferring with the run)

-modify the base artillery stuff such that each model with the Counter Battery SA within 6" of the blast radius of an artillery strike gives a cumulative -2 on the RAV for the 'on target' roll. (due to the necessity to fire rapidly then move to avoid counter-fire)

-You could possibly add a new SA specifically for orbital bombardment defense that provides the same protection. (I hope I'm not spilling too much, but this is referenced in 'Heavy Words')

Those just kind of seem natural, and allow a player to build a sort of 'realistic' force and gives them some power to mitigate strikes through force composition and positioning.

The concept of 'defensive strikes' or 'counter strikes' is cool. Perhaps as an alternative or complementary idea, you could buy 'force upgrades'. Maybe you could put points into 'fighter cover' which would give a universal negative to all strafing run attacks. Something like 'orbital assets' which would do the same for orbital strikes. Something like 'fire control center' for countering artillery and maybe 'Anti-missle batteries' (ok, I'm stretching here) that give you a roll to destroy the missles before the come on-board.

Say, three levels of each of the four areas at 25, 50 and 100 points apiece. It would give a -1, -2 and -3 (-4 maybe?) RAV for the appropriate strikes. For the Anti-missles, basically a RAV of 1, 2 or 4. Missle is destroyed on a hit.

Thoughs?

Hob