New Piece of Equipment

I ran a game last night and one of the players was new to Warlord. He insisted on choosing his own troops, including spells and equipment. As he is reading off his list of stuff, he told me that he chose the piece of equipment called Divine Favor. I had no idea that this goodie was hiding in the equipment list of 2nd edition. Anybody else found this already? If not, check it out!

Castlebuilder

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used it on whomever I have called my "general" of the army. Usually a captain type model. It's pretty sweet for 10 points. You have him all buffed up to like DV13 or 14 and your opponent gets that lucky 10 to hit. Nope! Denied! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! ::P:

Wild Bill :blues:

Just a thought that I had about this piece of equipment: 10 points seems a little bit low to me when you compare this to a Bandage spell which also costs 10 points.

I would argue that bandage is inferior to Divine Favor because: (1) After taking a point of damage that is absorbed by Divine Favor, the model is still on its first damage track and, therefore, continues to function at its optimal level. (2) Healing a point of damage with Bandage requires a combat action, whereas Divine Favor functions automatically. (3) There is a possibility that the spell casting will fail, whereas Divine Favor is guaranteed to work. (4) Although it is probably unlikely to be used this way, Divine Favor can be equipped on a model with only one damage track that does not have Tough -- a model that is unable to benefit from a Bandage.

The one advantage that a Bandage spell has over Divine Favor is that you can choose the recipient of the spell when you cast it, whereas Divine Favor must be equipped on a given model prior to the start of the game. However, this is, in my opinion, a negligible advantage because one would likely use Divine Favor on a model that would see a lot of combat and therefore need Bandages anyway, so giving this model Divine Favor from the start makes more sense to me than Bandaging it later on.

Given the above, I would suggest that 15 or 20 points seems like a more reasonable price for Divine Favor. If Divine Favor weren't limited to one per army, my Crusaders would have fewer Bandages and more of these.

The point cost is not important. Reaper could just as well have said that every army can have one and that it's free as the pre-battle ceremony invokes a God's favor. Analyzing it and comparing to bandage is not really important as far as game balance is concerned and you cannot give a beast divine favor but you can bandage it.

Ranz, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that point cost is not important. Maybe you could explain more. ::): The entire point of what I was saying is that it seems to be too inexpensive of an item when you consider what it does -- so inexpensive that, in my opinion, a player would be foolish not to take one with just about every army list that they construct. If Divine Favor were to cost, say, 50 points instead of 10, then I would seriously have to think about whether or not I want to purchase it. But at 10 points, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Reaper could just as well have said that every army can have one and that it's free as the pre-battle ceremony invokes a God's favor.

Yes, Reaper could have... but they didn't. Again, I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're getting at here. It's not free, but, again, for such a lost cost, I'm including it as a default on all of my lists from now on.

Anyway, I don't think that Divine Favor really unbalances the game. I just think that if any unique item/model/etc. is so worthwhile for the amount of points that it costs that one should always automatically include it in any army list for any type of scenario that it becomes superfluous. (Note that I specified a unique item/model; I use Templar Warriors in every Crusader army that I construct, but the difference between using them by default and using Divine Favor by default is that I have to carefully choose what the optimal number of Warriors for a given game is while for Divine Favor I am limited to one.)

Oh yeah, I did forget that you can use Bandage on a model with Beast, but not Divine Favor. One more advantage for Bandage. :poke:

You can also use bandage from a foot and a half away on a model that needs it. In every game some model will need it but not necessarily any one in particular. Diving Favor requires that you figure out which one will need it before they need it. Bandage lets you adjust to the flow of battle. It likely works best in combination with Bandage, either as a freebie hit before more come or to protect your healer from stray damage that messes up his CP.

As for the point cost, the versatility of Bandage seems to make the two "close enough" for my taste, but my point was that it could be free as long as it is available in such a way as to keep the factions balanced. It could also be 50 points but I'd rather have another banshee or fireball and may not take it then. :poke:

Also, it could be that the Reaper peeps WANt it in every force to represent "butt-in-ski" deities that always or almost always choose a leader or hero from each faction to bless for the battle. :devil:

I think it is somewhat self-destructive in games these days not to include 'Divine favor', and I always assume that my opponent has included it in his builds (and he always has). I don't like 'Divine Favor', I agree it is too cheap, and in being too cheap is a must buy for any army, which takes some of the fun out of the game. If it was 45 points people might think about not taking it, but right now it is like giving a model another damage track at its highest ability level for 10 points.

Sure you can only ever take one in your army, but if you can spend that 10 points in a better way let me know.

Typically I give it to a Mage or Cleric Elite to keep them casting at a high grade for longer.