Windows xp home question

haldir

feel like an idiot askin this, since i build my own puters, but with xp can I reinstall my OS on anther machine??

I'm upgrading & I want to start fresh, but I wasn't sure about xp with the antipiracy code & thingee microsoft has these days.

thanks

Randy M

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine how installing XP on a different machine would be any less legal (or any less lethal) than reinstalling XP on an old machine following an upgrade (which I've heard can be done).

Your best bet would be to call the tech-support number on your copy of XP. I honestly think the piracy precautions are meant only to foil people who have bought one copy of XP and downloaded it onto sixteen network computers at their office headquarters (yeah..imagine that).

You can install it on another computer, if you wipe the previous one out.. I think that is the legal stand point. You can have one copy on one computer runninga, as long as it is the full version of it. Now if you were to leave it on the old one then yes I think you would run into some legal issues. I know of some friends that have done this and were able to register it on the new computer with no problems through microsoft.. so it should not be a big deal.. but as it was mentioned by Spike.. it is always good to double check.. I am not a legal expert by ANY means of the word hehe JUst make sure you call thier toll free hotline :)

XP has a new activation step they never had before. Legally, you can only have it on one machine at a time, as mentioned above. However, if you aren't so much a stickler for petty legality, you have to wait 4 months between activating XP on one PC and the other. (unless they changed that, but I doubt)

thx for the advice, my copy that I BOUGHT is a upgrade version (I have a full version of 98), I may just wait a month or so & let my finance level out a bit (first of the month always take this take that kinda thing) & buy a full oem version off newgg.com, heck for 95 bucks I can live with that + having a full version will help in future os installations

Randy M