Rules clarification, please?

Several rules questions came up in a game tonight, and I was hoping for some clarifications please.

1) Concerning the Reptus spell, Crimson Embrace; How long does the spell last? For the round it was cast only? Until it triggers? Or more or less indefinitely?

2) Concerning Toughness (1); Do you have to roll for it, or can you leave the model stunned indefinitely (or until someone comes to finish him off)?

3) Concerning Toughness (2); Since the rules say that you may roll to check toughness at any time during the activation, could you make the roll first thing, and if successful, participate as normal in that activation?

4) Concerning Toughness (3); If you have several models who are stunned, can you choose various times throughout the activation to attempt to make their checks individually, or do they all have to roll at the same time?

5) If the leader of a troop is stunned at the start of an activation, does his troop have to make discipline checks as if they were out of cohesion, or does that only happen once he is completely dead?

Thanks much!

Ben

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good questions let's see if I can get them right

1) should be for that single activiation

2) you have to roll during their troop's next actiation

3) yes, at the begin of their actiation you can roll their toughness and use them that round

4) I believe you have to roll all of them at the same time (if for nothing else so you don't forget to do so later)

5) oooohhhh tough one... I must consult Reaper's mystic magic 8ball... And the 8ball says "soon"... I think its broke. They are still in cohension until their boss is completely dead... not just stunned but pushing up daisies.

I agree with Gus on #4 - it's not a combat action, so there is no precedent for doing them all at the same time.

Regarding #5, there is no Discipline test that occurs just for being out of cohesion, it just opens you up to a couple more potential Discipline test triggers.

Good deal. Thanks alot for the help folks...

Just to be clear, though... In the book, it says;

"At any point of the controlling Side's choice during the next Action Phase, the Model may roll 1d10 and add the indicated Tough value."

Since it implies that you don't HAVE to make the roll, what happens if you don't? Is the stunned Model then removed automatically, as if he were given the knife?

And thanks for the clarification about being out of cohesion. I was under the impression that if you were out, you had to roll every time you activated. Is good to know you don't have to. ;)

Much obliged, folks!

Ben

My guess is that failure to make your Tough check is treated as if you failed your Tough check and the model is removed from the table.

Another option would be:

You only have the option of making your Tough check on that troop's next activation in the turn following the one it was stunned. If you do not take your option of making your Tough check by the end of that next turn, you cannot make a future Tough check on the model unless it is healed and becomes Stunned again. The model would remain stunned until it is either Bandaged, Warcry (Reven), Life Transferred (Evil Mage), CdG, etc.

If you choose, under the clause of "may roll 1d10" etc. NOT to roll 1d10 the model is treated as if it failed the tough check (Or, more accurately, as if it did not Make its TC) and is removed from play and/or marked with a casualty token.

Use it or lose it. I cannot think of any time that choosing to forego a TC would be beneficial to any player, although I guess if you are already losing handily you may choose not to just to end the charade that it's an even fight anymore . . .

If you choose, under the clause of "may roll 1d10" etc. NOT to roll 1d10 the model is treated as if it failed the tough check (Or, more accurately, as if it did not Make its TC) and is removed from play and/or marked with a casualty token.

Use it or lose it. I cannot think of any time that choosing to forego a TC would be beneficial to any player, although I guess if you are already losing handily you may choose not to just to end the charade that it's an even fight anymore . . .

If you're playing Nefsokar, you may want a corpse marker there so you can Cross Death's River to it.

Good one! Can anyone else think of a reason you'd rather be dead? Might as well make a contest out of it. :)

Target for Vampiric Feeding? You want the Loot points? You converted a new Corpse marker you want to show off? You want to be out of cohesion to bait models with Shock into charging?

As for the duration of Embrace, there is no precedence for a time limitation on delayed effects (same for Hold or a broken Bindsoul), so it seems to work like "bestowed" Equipment. Or perhaps it is simply missing a "the next" part of the sentence. I'll add it to the next batch of E&C questions for Matt.