Reaper Tattoos

hater dave

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome as always, Lionmane. My gf is thinking about getting an itty-bitty music note somewhere on her body, because she loves music, she's a singer and a dancer...I've considered getting one, and I have a coupon for a tattoo parlor up the street from the college...but I haven't settled on an image yet. I want it to be something that has great meaning to me. Some things I've considered:

Quetzalcoatl (god of wisdom, and I intend to become a teacher someday)

a DNA molecule (my passion for biology)

A bit of illumination from the Book of Kells (my Irish heritage)

And, of course, barbarians. Thor and Odin were both considered, as was Frazetta's Jaguar God.

I have an Angel on my chest from when my sister died that was inspired by Reapers Angel of Mercy which I had painted for her (She loved and collected anything with an Angel). I also have 3 other Tats, a color tribal piece thats still a WIP on my left arm another tribal/Memorial tat on right arm and a Wiccan Pentagram surrounded by flames on my right shin.

And, of course, barbarians. Thor and Odin were both considered, as was Frazetta's Jaguar God.

Man, barbaric minds think alike. I was also considering the Jaguar God for a tattoo. I think my next one will be a black cat, in memorial to my fierce feline pal Bart who passed away last Fall, then after that I think I'll get the illustration from the latest Conan collection, specifically the pic at the end of "Hour of the Dragon", which is a lion standing over the body of a slain dragon, his claws dug into its flesh. After those, I'm not sure.

Man, barbaric minds think alike. I was also considering the Jaguar God for a tattoo. I think my next one will be a black cat, in memorial to my fierce feline pal Bart who passed away last Fall, then after that I think I'll get the illustration from the latest Conan collection, specifically the pic at the end of "Hour of the Dragon", which is a lion standing over the body of a slain dragon, his claws dug into its flesh. After those, I'm not sure.

I've actually come to a (sort of) decision:

The words "Love, Honor, Courage, Freedom -- Let No Man Live Without These" translated into Nordic Runes across my upper back. Below this, either an appropriate barbarian or else a Thor's Hammer like this.

I have a few tattoos; the wings on my ankles are fairly conventional. I got them put on after my first marathon and plan on adding more to them if I ever do any more.

The other ones... well... I'm told often that nobody has ever seen anything like them. You can see my feet here; I had them done right before my first deployment. While my other tattoo on my right cheek is family friendly and the picture doesn't show anything beyond the tattoo I don't know if I'll get groused at for showing it; suffice to say it's on my site and not hard to find. Of course, by right cheek, I'm not talking face ::D:.

I have a few tattoos; the wings on my ankles are fairly conventional. I got them put on after my first marathon and plan on adding more to them if I ever do any more.

The other ones... well... I'm told often that nobody has ever seen anything like them. You can see my feet here; I had them done right before my first deployment. While my other tattoo on my right cheek is family friendly and the picture doesn't show anything beyond the tattoo I don't know if I'll get groused at for showing it; suffice to say it's on my site and not hard to find. Of course, by right cheek, I'm not talking face ::D:.

:unsure:

I've actually come to a (sort of) decision:

The words "Love, Honor, Courage, Freedom -- Let No Man Live Without These" translated into Nordic Runes across my upper back. Below this, either an appropriate barbarian or else a Thor's Hammer like this.

Cool idea! :B):

Here's what I've decided on:

A barbarian warrior with black hair, horned helmet, etc., basically looking just like Conan with the addition of a sleeveless chainmail shirt, splattered from head to toe in the blood of his foes, embracing a valkyrie-like woman with long black hair, she stands a foot shorter than him, in a knee-length chainmail shirt, winged helmet, similar bloodsoaked. His huge, gore-encrusted battle axe has been thrown to the ground beside him and the look on his face shows how happy he is to be able to hold her in his arms once more, while her visage shows how happy she is to be held by him again.

Below this image, in either Futhark or Futhorc runes, I haven't decided yet (On one hand, Futhark looks better, but Futhorc has letters that Futhark doesn't so I wouldn't have to fudge spellings), is Belit's quote from Queen of the Black Coast along the lines of "Not even the gods can sever us. Were I dead and you fighting for your life I would come back to fight by your side" or words to that effect.

I've always known that if I ever got a tattoo it would be of something that has a tremendous amount of meaning to me. I'm not going to be like those bleach-blonde girls in high school who practically have to drop trou to show their butterflies to each other. This means something to me. The art and the quote both do an excellent job of depicting just how much my girlfriend means to me, how much I love her (This girl is THE ONE for me. There is no doubt about that.), as well as my respect for Robert E. Howard and love of his prose. And third, I commissioned one of my best friends in the world, who is a fantastic artist, to design the image for me (I gave her a more detailed description of how I wanted it to look and asked that it not be colored, that it be left black and white linework with red ink used for the blood) and my artist friend loves REH's work and I recently turned her on to Edgar Rice Burroughs, so if I ever get a tat after this I may have her draw me a Barsoomian. Though her style differs, in terms of energy and emotion I'd rank her work on par with Ken Kelly and Joe Jusko, just below Frank Frazetta. If I had to have anyone's art in my skin, I'd want it to be hers.

It's going either centerline on my back or else centered on my left shoulderblade.

Very cool, Bill!

When you get it, you have to post pics!

I don't know how much you've looked into getting a tat, but my advice to anyone is to look at the artist's portfolio. Almost all shops have the same flash on the walls...their portfolio will show you photos of their actual work, and sometimes drawings they've done. This will tell you if the artist in question is good enough to make your piece what you want it to be. Shop around and don't settle.After all, this is going to be on your skin. If you see someone with a nice tat, ask 'em where they got it,and who the artist was. I'm like a walking advertisement for my favorite artist..I carry his business cards with me, so when someone asks who did my work, I just give 'em a card.

Good luck and keep us posted!! :B):