Photographing and photoshop classes at Gen Con

Nikmal

Anyone ever thought about doing a Photoshop or photography classes at Gen con??

I stink at photoshop and am always wanting to take a class on it. In fact I am searioulsy considering signing up for one here at the community college once I get my surgery done and am in better health.

Does anyone feel they are up to doing a class or two of something like this and willing to teach.

For that matter how about making a Light box for taking pictures.. a "how to thing" :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taught Photoshop to people over the years, professionally as part of my old job, and independantly as a consultant. I would gladly volunteer my time, except there are no events ANYWHERE near where I live. I would have to spend an exorbitant amount of my limited resources to get to an event, pay for lodging, and get back, so I can't get there. But I would be the first person to do so could I!

Check out the link in the Can You Tell The Difference thread to my pdf. It has some photo correction basics in there that should help out.

Like Darkstar, I'd do a class (and did at ReaperCon, although it was tossed in with the basic mini photography class) but resources are limited, preventing me from attending GenCon or larger cons. ReaperCon is the only non-Anime con I've gone to, and I've only been to three cons total in my life.

We had Lili do some photography classes last year, but as she couldn;t make it to Gen Con this year, we don't have the classes. And poor mengu will be to overworked to give any! Still, anyone who wishes to give classes at any of the Gen Con,s let me know and we can see what sorta deal can be made.

The hard thing about doing a Photoshop class would be the class-size limitations bue to the fact that teaching a software hands-on would involve having to crowd round a computer. Teaching PS non-handson could be done, but there are enough books with tutorials already available and online resources that are more effective.

As for photo classes, Aryanun's booklet and classes at RCon were very helpful, and I hope she is on the calendar at next year's RCon too.

As for PS tips, there's quite a few handy tips I've learned on this part of Reaper's forum. Maybe between those of us who use PS here, we could maintain a help-thread for those who are newer to the program. Goodness knows when I first tried to use it, the toolbars, menus and palettes intimidated the heck outta me.

The hard thing about doing a Photoshop class would be the class-size limitations bue to the fact that teaching a software hands-on would involve having to crowd round a computer.

That's where the projector comes in handy. I had one luckily that my old boss let me bring along when I used to teach large groups of clients. I'd set up the projector to my laptop and it was just like a proper classroom. They aren't cheap though, and unless you had one or knew someone with one, even used they're over a grand! ::o:

As for photo classes, Aryanun's booklet and classes at RCon were very helpful, and I hope she is on the calendar at next year's RCon too.

Chances are, no. The few booklets I was able to print out cost me a pretty penny, and I may not be able to make it to RCon next year if our finances don't straighten out soon. If some of these bills would just get paid off... :down:

But the pdf booklet is available for all, for free. I'd bug Kit some more about getting it in the Craft section, but I know he's a really busy guy.