4' x 4' cavern layout

Froggy the Great

Fullview1.jpg

This has been sitting uncompleted in my office for about two years now. I got it done finally, to use in the Generic-card dungeon crawl event this Saturday.

More images can be found here:

This is made up of 16 Masonite squares, each one foot on a side. The walls are made from 2" insulation foam, which is covered and patched with drywall joint compound. I painted it all with grey latex paint, then drybrushed with acrylic craft paints. The water is Realistic Water by Woodland Scenics. Being modular, I can rearrange the blocks any way I want, and never have the same dungeon twice.

I'd say that the total time for the project is up around 25-30 man-hours. Kellyn helped me plan the layout, and also helped a great deal with the initial basecoating.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I keep meaning to have a bunch of masonite/MDF cut into 1x1 panels for something like that.

CuCulain42 -it actually shouldn't take up much space. My rough guesstimate is that it takes up about 4 cubic feet - easily something that can be put on the top shelf of a closet or something.

Impressive is right!

But I have a question. After this has been used for an adventure, what then? It's a fixed layout. It's the same issue I have with making most fixed terrain in an ongoing D&D game. It's fine for .. now. But what happens when we move on to the next section?

Not to slight any of the terrains presented here. I just need some sort of justification to build bigger things, and maybe even get some of those Hirst molds.

CuCulain42 -it actually shouldn't take up much space. My rough guesstimate is that it takes up about 4 cubic feet - easily something that can be put on the top shelf of a closet or something.

It's not that it doesn't take up much space it's that it takes up more space. :lol:

But I have a question.  After this has been used for an adventure, what then?  It's a fixed layout.

It's actually modular, so it's the opposite of fixed. He can re-arrange any of these tiles to form a different layout, because all of the entrances and path ways line up at the center of the edge.

Another good thing about this is that you can add another square on top of a square that has stairs going up to represent the "second floor", you can keep going up that way if you felt like it, just laying more tiles on top of each other for a more 3D experience.

Also, in regards to stowing this while not in use, you can actually stack these on top of one another to form a stack of tiles 32 inches high with a 1 foot square footprint, about the size of a small CD tower in the corner of a room, not bad at all.

Alternatively, just line them up on a 3 foot long shelf about 5 stacks of 3 deep. Or on a bookshelf, same principle. Many options.

One last thing, "crapshoot" sounds worse than the actual word it's supposed to sound milder than for some reason lol. ::D:

Thanks all.

Yeah, it's standing in a 1x1x3' stack in the middle of the office at the moment.

I plotted this out using the same design philosophy of a lot of model railroad gatherings. Each block had a 3" space on the side where if there was an exit, that's where it would be, and match the 3" space on the adjacent block. If I were to do this again, I'd probably make it a pair of 2"spaces on each side, so as to allow for greater complexity. As it is, the layout of this setup is much more open than I had expected.

We'll see how this one works. Its first test run is in two days.