Range and Volley

Chrome

This happened to me a few months ago, but I don't think I ever brought it up. Its a glitch in the rules that I really think need to be addressed though if we weren't misinterpreting it.

The situation was a half dozen of my Vale Archers firing a volley at a group of Reven. I knew that range was going to be close, but I had elevation so I gave it a shot instead of moving forward and losing my hill. After declaring my attack, we measured the distance and even with the elevation and extra 6" from volley, my range fell 1" short. According to the rules for Ranged Volley Attacks, if you don't have range, you don't get to attack.

The problem is that Marskmanship and Feathered Sky gave me a 3" AoE, so even though the center point of my volley wouldn't hit the Reven, 4 of the minis still were within my AoE and would have possibly taken damage. Yet the way the rules are worded, my attack never happened or else my arrows somehow magically disappeared in midair. :blink:

I think the rule needs to be erattaed that if the target model/location is out of range, that the volley lands at the attack's maximum range.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rule needs to be erattaed that if the target model/location is out of range, that the volley lands at the attack's maximum range.

Chrome,

You just need to stop playing with rules lawyers and start playing with guys who use common sense..........

Just my $.02 worth

Castlebuilder

You just need to stop playing with rules lawyers and start playing with guys who use common sense..........

Actually I was playing with another BL rep and neither of us knew what to do in the situation, so we looked it up and followed the rules.

It does open up a hole for rules lawyering though ("Sorry, you're a quarter of an inch short!") which is why I think it needs to be addressed and fixed if need be.

If your skellie archer fires at a target 25" away, what happens? The arrow "magically disappers" in much the same way as you outlined above. The fact that it's a template attack in the volley makes it seem different, but is it all that different? And if so, why would it strike the exact spot at extreme range? That's no more realistic than having if strike nothing.

I'd say next time, move up and fire or hold and fire when you see the whites of their eyes.

Being a CAV player where you can aim at spots on the ground between enemies to maximize the AOE, I would agree that the errata probably needs to happen.

Unlike CAV, there is no second range band in Warlord. Even more reason for the errata.

If your skellie archer fires at a target 25" away, what happens? The arrow "magically disappers" in much the same way as you outlined above.

Actually the arrow would land in the ground 1" away from the target and put a hole in the ground.

The fact that it's a template attack in the volley makes it seem different, but is it all that different?

It makes all the difference since its that template and especially the part of it that's 3" past the target point that puts holes in the majority of the targets. If the only part of a volley that was important was the target point, we wouldn't need Volley.

The saying is that close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades (and thermonuclear weapons) but it should count for Volleys and Fireballs too.

Page 65, first sentence of "Target Point and Area of Effect" is "The attacking Side chooses a point on the battlefield or a Target Model."

If you had range to that target point, you could have declared a point on the battlefield as your target point and made the shot thus catching the enemy in the area of effect originating from that target point.

Actually Ranz, quite wrong. It's a matter of how the action is declared really.

Yes, in this case, you can shift your Target Point to the maximum distance you can fire.

Your declared action was to fire an indirect ranged volley against a particular group of targets (this being an area of effect attack). So long as that fundamental doesn't change, where the target point falls makes no difference. You're not trying to change to a new target group or change your action.

"make the best of it" is the exact terminology used in the "Declare, then measure" section of the rules. This would be "making the best of it."

On page 65 it says that the target model must be within range. Under the doctrine of "Make the best of it" are we to say that "Make the best of it" means "What is best for the archers" then? I took "Make the best of it" in terms of "you're out of range for your declared action" to mean "Too bad for you. Deal with it as best you can" not "Pick a point at maximum range and center the template there and see what you hit."

The way Matt described it is the way I've always played. For AoE things, if the target point is too far away, the attacker has the option to either loose the attack, or have it happen at maximum distance to at least get some front line enemies in the edge of the AoE.

Don't know why we played that way, but it seemed like the best thing to do. ^_^

OK, but how does not being able to pre-measure and declaration of actions effect that?

Can you change the target spot from a model to a point on the ground after you've measured and discovered you don't have range?

Normally when you declare a ranged attack and after measuring it ends up being short, the attack is wasted. This is assumed to mean that an archer shot an arrow, but the arrow hit the ground in front of the target at the arrow's maximum distance.

In the case of AoE attacks, hitting the ground at max distance wouldn't necessarily mean the attack failed, since things coudl still be in it's AoE.

At least that's how I've always read it. :unsure: