Paint Colors You'd Like To See

Vaitalla

• Reaper User

Okie!! I have now gone through and made notes on everybody's posts up to now. Aren't you impressed?? ::P: This is probably the last you'll hear of me for the next ten days, as Reaper leave for GenCon on Monday and won't be back 'till the following Tuesday or so. Now...

Re: VGC Somber Grey, which is meant as a match for GW Shadow Grey...and totally isn't. :lol: I love color drift. Anyhow, you will find that our Twilight Blue triad, 9019-9021, is extremely close, because GW Shadow Grey was the color I was trying to match with those paints. The Vallejo equivalent has a lot of purple in it, which to be honest I am not a fan of; I like to keep my Blue-Greys blue, darn it. :;): However, our version does have violet pigment in it, just not as overpowering. I think you'll find that if you mix midtone (Twilight Blue) with a bit of highlight (Snow Shadow) you will get darn close to Shadow Grey/Somber Grey. If you want it more purple add a dab of Clear Magenta or Clear Purple.

Khaki Triad is already on the list to be released for September/October.

Olive Drab Triad I am looking at putting in for December/January.

Various Cadmium Reds: Doing research as we speak.

Black brush-on primer and Gloss Sealer are coming, but I want to spread out the additives releases a bit, so it won't be quite yet. ::):

Soft Brown-Grey...Ary, if you're talking a brown grey, have you looked at the Stone Colors (9085-9087)? They are quite literally warm greys, grey with a bit of brown. Or are you talking about something with a lot more brown in it, a la Shield Brown?

Bright oranges are a hard call because orange, like pink, doesn't sell. However, I was planning already on a Clear Orange in the next triad of Clear Brights, along with a Clear Violet that would be a match for GW Lich Purple and a Clear Viridian that would be a pure Pthalocyanine Green. With Clear Orange, Clear Red, and Clear Yellow you should be set for very bright magma colors!

Greyed colors are on the schedule; many of them will be demi-military/historicals hues. If there are particular historical colors you want to match, be specific and I will do my best.

Non-purple reds, see Jester's comments above. You're talking cadmium again; I'll try. ::):

Pro-Paint Amethyst is already in the line, under the moniker of Deep Amethyst 9079. Derek Schubert would have shot me if I hadn't put it in. :lol:

Darker Bronze metallics...as I discussed a while ago in another post, I have only thirty triads left to me in the line. Considering that, I probably just plain won't have room for another Triad of darker metallic. ::(: However, you'll be getting a dark bronzy metallic in the September/October release; it's a GW Tin Bitz equivalent, so should serve very well as a shadow for the already-existing Antique Bronze and the already existing Coppery Orange. ::):

Pro Paint Gunmetal equivalent is due out in September/October, with the aforementioned Tin Bitz equivalent and a black metallic.

Highlights for Black already exist in the line; take a look at Blue Liner, Grey Liner, Midnight Blue and Twilight Blue, Stormy Grey and Cloudy Grey, and Shadowed Stone. ::):

So far the votes are against inks, but I know that Reaper wants 'em in the line, so they will probably appear; I'll just put out a few instead of a bunch unless I get more feedback asking for them.

I am attempting to work a nice Cream color into the line; you may get your Yellowed Bone triad after all if I can make Cream the highlight for it. :;):

Copper--You don't like my Coppery Orange? I love it, it's the brightest Copper metallic ever!! ::D: If you haven't taken a look at it, you might want to. If you want a Pro Paint Copper equivalent I'm thinking you could just add a *tiny* dab of the Pearl White metallic to it to tone it down a little and that's what you'd get.

Hair color triads? Ummm...for brown hair, use any brown triad. For auburn hair, use the Red-Browns triad (Mahogany, Chestnut, Rust) and highlight further with Chestnut Gold, or with the upcoming Burnt Orange if you want a brighter redhead. If you want a carrottop redhead start with Rust Brown, shadow with Mahogany, highlight with Burnt Orange. Highlights for black have already been mentioned. For any extreme highlight use Linen White or Pure White or Leather White or Ghost White. ::): I honestly can't think of any hair color at this point that we don't have the colors for already in the line except maybe for greying brown hair.

Jester--if I came up with an irridescent black and made it work you know I'd make you eat your hat! ;P ::D:

Clear Chestnut--unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to make a Clear Brights version of Chestnut, as the pigments used to create that color are some of the most opaque we have! :lol: Could do a Chestnut ink, though.

Darkstar, I also really like the VMC Light Brown, and will look and see if I can find a place for it. Somber grey I've already discussed. SS Camo Black-Brown *might* make it into the military historicals colors, but I'm already looking at figuring out how to do a Pro Paint Walnut (true) equivalent and a Scorched Brown equivalent, and don't know if I'll have the room. ::(:

Bleached Bone is already on the list for December.

Dark Elf skin tones--the problem here is that everyone uses different colors for this! But I had already been considering a Darkspawn skin triad, which would be the purplish variant on Dark Elf skin. ::):

Super-bright silver--if you mean something that looks and acts like Citadel, can't do it; the flake doesn't satisfy the Non-Toxic requirements on our paint. If you're talking a "whiter" silver like VMC silver, I can probably do it, but don't know if I have a triad to fit it into yet!

Okie, that should have gotten everybody...thanks, all, for the feedback, and see you after the Con!!

--Anne ::D:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: VGC Somber Grey, which is meant as a match for GW Shadow Grey...and totally isn't. :lol: I love color drift. Anyhow, you will find that our Twilight Blue triad, 9019-9021, is extremely close, because GW Shadow Grey was the color I was trying to match with those paints. The Vallejo equivalent has a lot of purple in it, which to be honest I am not a fan of; I like to keep my Blue-Greys blue, darn it. :;): However, our version does have violet pigment in it, just not as overpowering. I think you'll find that if you mix midtone (Twilight Blue) with a bit of highlight (Snow Shadow) you will get darn close to Shadow Grey/Somber Grey. If you want it more purple add a dab of Clear Magenta or Clear Purple.

Thanks for the advice for making my own purpley sombre grey, but I was really hoping for a version of it that I didn't have to mix myself! Ah well..

I really like the beige brown and cork brown from VMC. I don't really think the current browns have an equivalent color - they're either too dark or too yellow-y, or something.. I don't know enough about color to really say. But what about an equivalent for RMS?

I think a skin color between dark skin and tan skin would be nice - or something with a little more red/warmth to it than dark skin? Tried finding an example of what I was thinking of, but no luck. :)

/ali

Cool, thanks for the detailed info Vaitalla.

If you're working on a Scorched Brown variant then SS Camo Black brown might be redundant like you hinted at. I basically started using SS Camo Black Brown after I ran out of Scorched Brown, and honestly I prefer Scorched Brown a little more anyways lol.

The Darkspawn skin triad sounds great, now they just need to sculpt more Darkspawn to paint them with! <_<

ok i just skimmed this really quickly, please tell me there is not really a color named vomit brown, i know im giving wawy that im a girl but ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

and yes brush on primer in black would be cool idea too for some of those little details that just show off better in black.

How about an undead flesh triad?

I've used the bone & stone triads with a bit of swamp green to good effect... I think Anne has a similar recipe that even has a bit of rosy skin tone in it thats fantabulous for undead as well...

How about a brown exactly like pro-paint Walnut? I know the MSP brown liner was supposed to be like walnut but I've put the two paints side by side and seriously the liner is several shades darker than the walnut and appears black under my ottlite. In some cases I've used the walnut instead of the brown liner simply due to the fact it's lighter and not as harsh looking when darklining.

How about an undead flesh triad?

I've used the bone & stone triads with a bit of swamp green to good effect... I think Anne has a similar recipe that even has a bit of rosy skin tone in it thats fantabulous for undead as well...

I think that people want the convenience of just reaching for a triad without any mixing or custom blending. That being said, it's easy enough to add just a drop of another color to tweak a certain triad, but for sales purposes I think that a "set" triad of Undead Fleshtones would sell well. The ease of just picking your triad and painting is what drew me initially to the paints due to my dislike of custom blends, and I know for one I would gladly pick up a set of undead fleshtones even if I knew that they were just the bone triad with a touch of green and rose.

Never underestimate the power of laziness.

Super-bright silver--if you mean something that looks and acts like Citadel, can't do it; the flake doesn't satisfy the Non-Toxic requirements on our paint. If you're talking a "whiter" silver like VMC silver, I can probably do it, but don't know if I have a triad to fit it into yet!

Wait. Are you saying that the GW silvers are minorly toxic?! :blink: