Vaitalla

Paint Colors You'd Like To See

how about a clear metallic. basically just the flakes in a clear suspension, giving us a base to mix any other color of metallic.

Vallejo MC 521 Metal Medium works like that. I prefer the effect it gives to many of the colored metallics out there.

Interesting, Claymoore. What color flake is it?

--Anne

how about a clear metallic. basically just the flakes in a clear suspension, giving us a base to mix any other color of metallic.

Vallejo MC 521 Metal Medium works like that. I prefer the effect it gives to many of the colored metallics out there.

I know, but if we just bought Vallejo, we wouldn't have a Master Series now would we?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to do this with just one flake; to give you an idea, it currently requires no less than six different flakes (might be seven or eight, I've lost count!) to achieve the current range of MSP metallics. One metallic flake just can't do it. There are also issues with working with these metallics with different bases (red, yellow, black, clear, deep...), and with different pigments. It's not a picnic, trust me! Essentially, even if I produced the flakes in a clear solution, that still wouldn't help you necessarily get the color you want because there are other considerations. Your best bet, if there's a particular metallic color you're looking for, is to say what you want on here and I'll either put it in the line or tell you how to mix it. In truth, we now have every metallic color (red, orange, yellow--New Gold, green, blue, purple, brown--Scorched Metal, black--Adamantium, and white--Pearl). You should be able to mix almost any color you ever wanted in metallics with those. ::): So let me know if there's something you can't achieve, and I'll see--if I get enough requests for more metallics, I'll put 'em out. If the current stuff sells, of course, that's more of an argument to putting more out... :;):

--Anne :)

Can't you just mix a regular paint with silver to get a suitable metallic colour?

Sortof, but not really. You'd actually want to mix in inks rather than paint to change the color of a metallic - the matte finish and opaque nature of the normal paint will give metals a quasi-metallic look. Anne does a painting style, I'm told, where you mix in regular paints to highlight metallics, and I've heard the term "Demi-metallics" bandied about. I haven't tried it or seen it in person, nor seen pics of it that I remember.

Anyway, a plain silver next to a silver mixed with purple paint will not look like purple metallic.. It'll look like a purpley kindof-metallic. :) However, I think mixing purple ink with silver metallic paint will end up more like a purple metallic in the end.

Ok, I'll make it official, since I'm sure you can't find that piece of paper we wrote it down on. :lol:

Equivalents for VMC Ochre Brown, Yellow Ochre, Green Ochre.

At least 2, possibly 3 triads of true neutral gray gradients; 5%, 10%, 20%, 40%, 50%, 70%, 90% at a minimum.

Equivalents to VMC Smoke, Woodgrain

Ok, I'll make it official, since I'm sure you can't find that piece of paper we wrote it down on. :lol:

Equivalents for VMC Ochre Brown, Yellow Ochre, Green Ochre.

At least 2, possibly 3 triads of true neutral gray gradients; 5%, 10%, 20%, 40%, 50%, 70%, 90% at a minimum.

Equivalents to VMC Smoke, Woodgrain

Heya Deane! ::):

Green Ochre (and English Uniform) VMC matches are due out in December. :) We already have a Yellow Ochre (and in fact it's truer to pigment than the VMC variant, which has a lot of white in it), Palomino Gold 9074. Haven't seen the Ochre Brown and yours is the first request we've had for it; my VMC pamphlet, though, makes Ochre Brown look a lot like 9073 Chestnut Gold, so I'd be curious to know how close they are.

We also have true neutral greys; they're the Neutral Greys triad (go figure, huh? ::): ). Though I matched them in shade to Pro Paint Dove, Ash, and Armor Grey, roughly, they are pure neutrals--only black and white pigment. Misty Grey 9090 is a 30% grey, Cloudy Grey 9089 is a 70% grey, and Stormy Grey 9088 is an 80% grey. In addition, for our other greys, Rainy Grey 9038 is a 60% grey, and Grey Liner 9065 is a 90% grey. I'm afraid that you probably won't get pre-formulated mixes of all those other percentages--sadly, I just don't have the room, with only 24 triads left in the line! If I end up with some room, though, and if sales on the existing neutral greys are strong, I'll be glad to consider that. ::):

I will admit that I am *not* a fan of VMC Smoke. I own a bottle, tried to use it twice, and ended up thoroughly detesting it! However, I do like the color, just not the consistancy, so perhaps. VMC Woodgrain, as I recall, is a redder brown; really, you're pretty much asking for a brown ink and a chestnut ink/glaze there, aren't you?

--Anne

Haven't seen the Ochre Brown and yours is the first request we've had for it; my VMC pamphlet, though, makes Ochre Brown look a lot like 9073 Chestnut Gold, so I'd be curious to know how close they are.

--Anne

VMC Ochre Brown is more yellow than MSP Chestnut Gold. The Ochre Brown is is roughly equivalent to VGC Scrofulous brown, with a shade or two less orange, very close though.

Haven't seen the Ochre Brown and yours is the first request we've had for it; my VMC pamphlet, though, makes Ochre Brown look a lot like 9073 Chestnut Gold, so I'd be curious to know how close they are.

--Anne

VMC Ochre Brown is more yellow than MSP Chestnut Gold. The Ochre Brown is is roughly equivalent to VGC Scrofulous brown, with a shade or two less orange, very close though.

Ahhh, so you're telling me that it's close to the VGC equivalent for GW Leprous Brown, right? At least I think that's what Scofulous Brown is meant to be? Thanks, Darkstar!!

--Anne

Dont know if its already been mentioned or not but a natural rope triad would be nice @ least for me. Thats an item that I always struggle painting on a mini. It either looks to yellow (like the plastic rope from walmart) or to brown.

Ahhh, so you're telling me that it's close to the VGC equivalent for GW Leprous Brown, right? At least I think that's what Scofulous Brown is meant to be?

Precisely. :) Woke up this morning and put a couple drops of each next to each other for comparison as I just happen to have all of those particular paints. And yes, according to the handy dandy equivalent chart at http://home.att.net/~katamaran/vallejo.html Scrofulous is Vallejo's version of Leprous. So many ochres with random names, can be confusing. :P

Jubilee, you mentioned the demi-metallics, aka shaded metallics, aka NMSM (Non Metallics Shaded Metallics) and other bizarre names I've heard. It's what I usually like to do when I paint metallics. It gives more control of the shading and highlighting like NMM would, but still the sheen of metal. I use that Metal Medium a lot for it as well.

For pics of my Metallic Adept entry...My Duke Gerard

For it I used Camo Black Brown to add for shadow on the gold and the silver, and Metal Medium to highlight, with a bit of white thrown in on some specific places for control of the bright highlight.

Anyway, it works, it looks cool. I can't stop myself using the technique anymore. For me it combines the best of both worlds.

Anyway, a plain silver next to a silver mixed with purple paint will not look like purple metallic.. It'll look like a purpley kindof-metallic. :) However, I think mixing purple ink with silver metallic paint will end up more like a purple metallic in the end.

Thanks, Jubilee. I'll get a few coloured inks and see what I can do. Now if I just had a digital camera...

I would like to recommend a 'rusty metal' triad. A dark brown shade, an orangish-brown base with some silver metallic flake and a slightly orangish silver metallic highlight. Perhaps even a 'Verdigris' triad as well.