Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

Best method for shipping

This exchange is my first, and first time sending a completed mini through the mail. What packaging works best to protect the fig?

Sgt Crunch

From my experiences a small box with bubble wrap (those little sheets that pop when you press them) or perhaps packing peanuts works well. I generally wrap the miniature in the bubble wrap, but not too tightly as that risks messing up the paint-job, but just enough that the mini is secure in the wrap. I've also had a mni shipped to me in a Jiffylite White cushioned mail container...that worked very well, and is what I'd recommend but he lived in the UK so I'm not sure if they're availible here in the states...I'd reccomend googling it. Hope that helped!

If you're sending a single human-sized figure with no glued on parts or bendy parts it's pretty easy. You can just put in in the blister with some padding around it to keep it from bouncing around in the plastic shell and then put it in a mailer with a bubble wrap liner. The bubble wrap in the mailer protects the mailer more than the figure.

If you're dealing with multipiece figures, you have to be a bit more careful. A simple cardboard box that leaves a good amount of space around the mini helps to make sure that the post office won't crush it, and then make sure to pad it well, such that when you shake the box nothing moves inside.

Also, if you're in the US and it's less than 13 oz. you can send it first class, which will get it there in about the same time as priority mail and will save you $$. You can also get a delivery reciept on first class if you so desire.

I've always gone overboard... tissue paper inside another insulator (like the bubble wrap)... inside a box... The box takes the majority of the shipping abuse... the bubble wrap cushions anything and the tissue holds pieces in place within the bubble wrap...

Good luck...

I can guarantee that tissue paper by itself doesn't cut it.... no matter how tight you think you've packed it... I'm pretty sure that the package was used as a hockey puck....

<_<

The top of my bookcases is littered with shipping boxes that I have held onto because they would make a great box to send stuff back out in. With friends and family scattered across the country you never know when a box of 'x' size will be perfect.

I've also got a large box with all those little grey blocks of foam from my blister packs, army case trays, and the shipping box I got after R-Con. Using this as filler in a small box to send out a mini works great! Just make sure you use more than you would think since foam does compact a lot and you want the box itself to remain stable and not squish.

A lot also depends on the size of the mini/diorama you send out.

I've also bought those blocks of white styrofoam and cut myself two halves to make a nice snug, custom encasement for a piece for shipping. Wrapped the actual figure felt to protect the paint. That one was also heading for New Zealand, so I wanted to make sure it survived the loooooong overseas flight.

I'm a big fan of thick foam (like one inch thick) over bubble wrap and the thin foam you get in blister packaging. If the mini is single piece or only a few pieces I tend to roll up and around the mini and throw an elastic on it to keep it tight and compact around the mini. One of the big reasons I use this method is that I know customs is likely to open the package becuase I'm sending it over the boarder, so an elastic is easy to get into without damaging the mini (I little note indicating the fragility of what is in the parcel can't hurt either in my opinion).

I've only sent a few, and I've never had complaints I assumed it worked well.

I have had bubble wrapped minis come out of their bubble wrap, so if you're going to do this make sure they're in well.

I wrap the figure like a mummy in toilet paper until its a ball. I've used this method to ship all over the world without any breakage.

www.pigmentedminiatures.com