Breakers

I'm struggling to figure out just what is so cool about the Breaker special ability. When I compare my Orc Warriors to my Beastman Woodcutters I can't really reconcile the cost...

Beastmen move faster but have a worse attack and less defense. Orcs even move faster on the charge with bloodlust! Then I compare Knights to Unforgiven and it seems just as bad, knights have huge defense compared to the unforgiven who do hit harder at least...

So I'm surmising that the Breaker special ability is really quite expensive. But why? Are there some uber cool things people are doing with it? The best I can come up with is to engage rear ranks before they can run away (like Overlord Crossbowmen or anyone's reach models...) I can imagine a handful of scenarios where breaker might be nice, but certainly not in every scenario. It might be nice to open up spellcasters or archers to attack from cavalry or something, but it would either take a lot of models or a lot of terrain to block up the board enough to make that more desirable than just going around the enemy line...

So I dunno!

Thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaker is worth about nothing in points. A point or three maybe.

They can open up enemy lines if it's played right. That's about it. Otherwise their usefullness is based on their other stats like everything else.

Like with Reptus, they hit at +3 and are tough with a 9 DV. They only cost 1 pt more than a warrior and hit three times as hard.

I feel the Reven are one of the factions where the Breaker models aren't worth the point costs. In many other factions, the breakers have the awesome MAV, so they can be worth it just for that. I don't think Breaker is valued at more than 1 or 2 points, IMHO. ^_^

I think breakers are getting a bad rap to be honest, I tend to ignore the ability but I don't think I will in the future. Not only does it let your model open up holes, it lets your models move up and establish base-to-base contact with other enemy models.

I can think of a couple of examples beyond opening up holes in the defences like we see int he main rulebook

1) Kill the front model and move up to base another nearby (possibly supporting) model so that it can't get away.

2) Using the Breaker move to get the model behind additional cover.

I'd guess it really should only be a one point ability.

Has anyone used Breaker to great effect? I think if we see breaker on a large sized model we'd begin to see it as very useful, as one base-wdth = much more on large and giant sized models.

I would have liked to have seen breaker treat like bloodlust, ie units get Breaker/1, Breaker/2, Breaker/3 and be allowed to move the number distance in inches.

It may turn ouot that in big battles it can be important to move things around, but I cannot see ever fielding the very cool looking woodcutters for their price. I commented on this in "New Hope as well and I saw Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo which I was thinking about renaming this thread.

I'll use breakers occasionally, Unforgiven that is , but wouldn't use the Beastmen .

I 've rarely been able to use the breaker ability since most times I've used them they smack their opponent and then get smacked back themselves with defensive strikes . :down: The low DV for most breakers is what's let them down . <_<

group your breakers.

then put a rouge or cavalry model behind the group. breakers break open the line. the subject goes through and either hacks a hero or goes in for a rear attack....you can't free spin if you are engaged....

the 3 MAV guaranteed (unless you're a bloody BONDSLAVE!!!! ::P: ) is worth it as it goes...

if you have a breaker figting two guys, he can pin the other down with his demi-move action...

"the 3 MAV guaranteed (unless you're a bloody BONDSLAVE!!!! ) is worth it as it goes..."

See, that's just it. Woodcutters have a +2MAV while your average orc has a +3. Hard to see any justification for these guys other than what Ranz said, they look cool.

Good point about Bull Orc Warriors being a good deal though SE. Still, if that's the strength of the faction then other models in that faction should be balanced to it, at least somewhat...

Mostly, Breakers have less DV (or the same), but higher MAV, at just a slightly higher point cost.

for me, my Vale Warriors are 19 pts a pop, have 1 attack at 1 MAV, 7 Def, and Tough 1.

my Breakers are 22 points a pop, have 1 attack at 3 MAV, 7 Def, and no Tough.

honestly? Breakers are more expensive, and dont have any staying power - but get the job done better then my Warriors, which might as well be in the battle for moral support for all the good they do.

I plan on using my Breakers as standard warriors - grouped with Longthorns and fighting in lines - ill probably just completely overlook the Ability, because i havent ever found a use for it.

(did i mention the Elves have the worst '"effing" DV in the whole game? i dont wanna ever hear anyone on this board complain about low DV's ::P: )

The Bone Horror for Necropolis is a great Breaker. He has a MAV of 6 and is on a giant base. Since Breakers can move up to one base width, that is a huge move.

I love the Bone Horror and I am glad to see breaker is not limited to standard bases. Don't forget to take your base size move you can't break any B2B. So if it is surrounded, you have to take them all down. That may be a problem with those awesome stats.