Cav question.

lstormhammer

Alright, usually I'm swooping majestically around the fantasy threads, but this time, I have a question for the Sci-Fi Crowd. Think of me as an emmissary.

Alright, CAV are cool as heck, I'll accept that. And I have heard of Infantry are refered to as 'squishies'. So my question: Are there a lot of Mechanized Infantry/Airborne Infantry support in the CAV Universe? I have no problem with 30' high walking rock'em, sock'em robots. But sometimes, I have a hankering that only well-placed artillery, swarms of tanks and dogfaces will satisfy.

So what I think I'm saying is something like: 'So aside from all the big robots, are there 'regular' troops, and if so, does it make sence to try to field them?

Understand that I also don't have access/experience in playing CAV, so for me you guys are all the info I have access to.

--lstormhammer

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweetage, Frosch.

That is one thing I have never liked about B-Tech (aka: the Other Woman). 'Everything is about the giant mechs! No, we won't spend three million on training up a decient militia force! With that, we can buy a Locust. What a great idea, instead of fielding a batallion of trained men, or a company of excellently trained men, we'll field a yob in a 30-ton Mech, what a great expendature of cash!'.

Suffice to say, give me a thousand men crazy enough to conquer #### and I will conquer ####..

--lstormhammer

CAV infantry comes in two types, squishies which are your normal arse in the grass soldier types with kevlar flak vests and assault rifles. And you also have crunchies (my personal favourite) who are wearing power armour which enables them to move faster and wear heavier armour (heavier is relative :o)).

Both types of infantry can carry mortars, which make messes of pretty much anything if they hit (IF weapon drift if you don't TL) and both can also carry missiles which can hurt a CAV (+4/+2 is a very nice weapon, and has decent range too). They also have the mandatory machine guns and assault rifles which both have their places in the field of battle.

Tanks tend to be a tad weak in the electronics front when compared to everything else, but they are useful. They cost about two thirds as much as a reasonable CAV and they can hold their own.... the ones we've got so far mount reasonable guns and have okay movement. But they aren't as tough as CAV's, but they make up for it in numbers.

Gunships in CAV are rock solid. There's two main designs right now, one which looks and plays like the A-10 and another which is a fighter type and can blat most aircraft from the sky. They ain't too shabby at anti-mud either :o)

As Frosch said, we've 3 APC's. Two are proper meatlockers, hauling infantry from A to B in reasonable comfort and with reasonable armour. And they have guns too... not amazing guns but they got teeth. The third APC is effectively a UH-60 Blackhawk with a couple of hellfires aboard... it can clear the DZ and then drop squishies right into the enemy flank or rear. It's a flying model so it has good speed and it looks cool too :o)

CAV is truly combined arms, not a game which pays lip-service to being combined arms or anything - but it's truly there. Artillery (only the Mastodon and Whisper right now) is effective, infantry are feared by CAV's (especially anklebiters) and tanks have their place in the military as well. And while the CAV may be more versatile than most others, it's also a lot more expensive and pure CAV's won't win a battle against combined arms (I've proved this in games).

You want grunts with missile launchers... then CAV's for you. You want big robots with huge guns then CAv's for you... and if you just want a good sci-fi combined arms game then CAV's probably the game for you :o)

I will further Franks comments haing played said combined vrs pure CAV games against him that CAV has excellent combined arms play, however there are a few niggles in the system as well.

Armour, currently I have no plans to ever field armour as they have no real purpose. They are slow and have weak electronics and while cheaper than a CAV I feel they don't stand any real chance against the other 3 unit types in CAV.

Infantry are pretty formidable with weapons that can really hurt anything else on the table, however they are primarily defensive as they are slow and while you can put them in APCs I find when they dismount they become to much of a target (basically the troops jump out of the APC and then don't get to move leaving a very inviting target for area affect weapons).

CAVs are the masters of the battlefield due to their versatility however they are not invulnerable and everything else can put them down.

Gunships, these rock currently I feel they are to good having now watched in several games as a flight of Tsukeis rips an opposing force apart in short order. They combine hard hitting power with speed and good armour.

The closest thing to a 'super unit' I've come across is the Tsuiseki... it's speed and range means it's hard to get a bead on, and when you do the darn thing has so many DT's and such good armour it's hard to take down with one round of shooting.

However, the 'Flying Ogre' isn't the be all and end all. It does die, it just takes a little work, especially if you use the Hybrid Flight scenario rule :o(

Whoa, whoa, whoa... guys....

YOu more than willingly answered my question. I'm cool with that. Thank you very much.

Here's some more reasoning. I like playing infantry-based armies. I've been doing it since Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader. But with more and more of GW gearing towards 'super-duper weapons', playing a grunt army is effectivly suicide.

I see that there are drawbacks to playing with tanks, but I think properly done with gunship support (and dropships, mmmm) it would be fun and interesting to do.

Now I need to find a place that sells CAV.

--lstormhammer

The JoR2 is vehicle heavy.  I think most everyone will be able to find some kind of tank or hovercraft or APC or gunship that pleases them. :-)

Stuart - here's a quick note about Infantry and APCs that Matt told me a while ago.  (I hope I remembered this correctly)  Ed Pugh's dad used to pilot helicopters and Al Pare served in the AirCav during Vietnam.  The reason that Infantry are so vulnerable when they unload in CAV is b/c Al and Ed wanted to recreate the vulnerablility that all infantry men suffer when unloading from vehicle.  

If you don't get what I'm saying, watch the beginning of Saving Private Ryan and think about how easy it was for the Germans to just aim at the APC's doors and wait for the US troops to come out. :-\