Cav question.

lstormhammer

So I'll make sure to drop then in a place that's friendly to them.

Besides, I seem to remember the Bradly APC and later renditions have the hatch in the back, so troops can dismount and still be afforded a little cover from the APC. But in the words of James Burke:

In combat, you're nothing but meat.

--lstormhammer

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrome I understand the logic however in a game with some many area affect weapons I find the effect too deadly and thus don't use APCs  because I like my PBIs and don't like them getting blown up lots. My infantry also tend to be very dispersed (10" apart) to stop all these wretched AOE 4 weapons blowing them to pieces

Eh, a flight of Kikyus, or in a few months, Harpies, will put the hurt on Tsuisekis easily enough, as will anything with decent indirect fire.

Hence why these get targeted first. I have found that the Tsukei is the single most potent unit on the table and as such I go to some lengths to keep them intact. Thus most other units are gunning for anti soft killers then the Tsukeis are free to roam and cause death and mayhem.

Alright, another noob question:

So I'm seeing things like Koda Badger, Kiku Gunship, Fenri Gunship, etc. Are these just manufacture names, like Saab, Volvo, BMW, or are these house names, and never will you see two different ones working alongside each other?

--lstormhammer

These are the names of UCORs (very large corporations who are legal entities in their own right) and they manufactore the various units. However each UCOR while independent is somewhat aligned with a parent race eg SyRam with the Humans. Most people play mercenary commands and as such feel free to pick and choose from any UCOR they want. I am fielding a Terran Legion and thus field units more readily (fluffwise) available to the Terrans.

I am sure someone will state what UCOR stands for I can't remember.

You've got a mix of UCOR and unit names there.

The UCORs are: RMI, Grundor House, KDM, KODA Works, Borsig-Spline, Hughes-Marietta, Mark IV, SyRaM, and Mitso-Ta.  

Everything else in a name is the Terran Market Designation.  When selling to other races, they are doubtless called other things in that race's own language.

More info is on cavhq.com under "CAV Galaxy", or in the CAV rulebook.

United Corporate Organised Republic.

These are the megacorps of the CAV universe who manufacture the CAV's and gunships and tanks. There are nine of them...

KODA Works (Rach)

Hughes-Marietta (NADO - yes Stuart has fudged the fluff slightly)

SyRaM (Terran)

Mitso-Ta (Terran)

Mark IV (Malvernian)

Grundor House (Malvernian)

RMI (Ritterlich?)

KDM (Ritterlich?)

Borsig Spline (Ritterlich?)

I don't have my rulebook with me, and I can never remember who 'chartered' BS, RMI and KDM but I'm sure someone will let you know.

And like Stuart said, anything goes in CAV because most of us are making merc units, although most of us have our favourites :o)

Aah, I see. So if I paint them all uniform I can say 'squint and turn your head, it's a proper army, no, really.. see?' and make my Marine Expeditionary Unit I want to.

Any word on Howitsers and/or off-board support? How do you/can you call it in and bring forth the world of hurt?

--mmm, Mad minute on a CAV... hope that life support can cope with all that waste...

--lstormhammer

The only off-board stuff is an extra initiative card you can buy for 200 points.  Personally, I find it more effective to add one stripped-down light infantry to kick you into the next multiple of four models.

As far as howitzers, I know some people have made rules for orbital bombardment, but most of the Big eFfing Guns are actually mounted on superheavy CAVs, such as the Rhino and Mastodon.

That's about the size of it LSH.... although there 'may' be some artillery in the new JoR which is slated for release in May. We don't know for sure as yet what's in it, although we do know some of the stuff that's inside.

The only real artillery piece we have right now is the Mastodon and that's got such short range I personally wouldn't call it artillery, unless you can get artillery that's close to the front (like on it :o)).

Off Board Command Structures give you an extra initiative card in the deck, and while Frosch's suggestion will work, it's very cheesy and with some AO's it's liable to get you penilised.... and I thought it was only 100 points.

Hey Frosch,

About the Challenger being one of your biggest Tsuiseki killers... that is one of the most balanced CAVs out there with +4/+3 guns to hard/soft targets.  

The Challenger is not designed to hunt CAVs.  If it was, it would have more DTs and bigger guns.  It contributes multiple facets to a combined-arms unit.  You have the +4 guns to compete with the Starhawk's weaponry against hard targets, +3 to soft targets to help suppress infantry, and +4 ECM to make the CAV avoid target lock and last a little longer.

And it's fast.

Now if you had replaced Challenger in your statement with Dictator, that would have been really weird.  Come to think of it, the Gladiator isn't that big of deal either with +4 to TL.  If they killed the Tsuisekis without TL that would have been amazing or really crappy rolling on the part of the bad guy.  heh

When you screw up and take all superiority CAVs and a Challenger and the opponent brings lots of infantry, the Challenger is your savior (well until it gets crucified AT-23 style hehe).

Challengers are fast and very useful for hunting down the elusive Tsuisekis.

Many things are more than capable of shooting down the Tsuisekis. What makes it so hard is that it can move fast and has awesome range, being able to fly over terrain and not be slowed up my it is another edge that it has. I am very tempted to join the ranks of those doing an Airborne CAV unit because it could be awesome.

In a normal game my Tsuisekis will normally start out of LOS move out engage a target at range 48" have no DF back then move back out of LOS repeat as required. If my opponent starts to move in on them I will probably have at least one turn to deal with the threat before he can acheive LOS.