Cav question.

lstormhammer

What makes it so hard is that it can move fast and has awesome range, being able to fly over terrain and not be slowed up my it is another edge that it has.

Tsuisekis and other Air Movement Type Vehicles don't "Fly Over" Terrain as your post would suggest.

They still have to pay the movement costs as described in the rulebook on page 89.

Unless you are doing the Scenario Hybrid Flight rules as described in the JoR, a Tsuiseki isn't any more swift than a Dictator is in most terrain evironments...  In fact through woods, a Dictator is faster.

While a Challenger is good at dealing with Tsuisekis, it's popular knowledge that Sovereigns (especially), Conquerors and Bishops are the best answers for them.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

say, since we were talking about AoE weapons before, I have a question. Say a specter gets TL and chains in with the other 3 specters in it's unit. Hypotheticly, no matter how many units I hit, I still only roll 4 dice right? If some of the units I hit are hard and some soft, I just add the respective bonus right?

Yes we do use hybrid flight rules, however do gunships suffer a modifier for going over hills ? Don't know why you rate AOE weapons against gunships I mean just keep you planes spread out and at most you lose one. The sovereign is unpleasant as it has 48" range DF weapons.

However, the reason most conflicts (it would seem) involve Mercs in some way is because the national armies have such overwhelming firepower, pissing one off in an overt display of aggression or blatant act of theft would be very unwise.

For example, if you take a sample Legion that Matt posted here a while back, it works out to such high numbers of units that the Steel Griffins, Bad Blood and the Yellow Jackets would have to band together to have a reasonable chance against a Maniple... and there's several of those to a Cohort (and several Cohorts to a Legion). While this isn't that big a deal on it's own, the data suggests that the UFF has several hundred legions.... which does make for rediculously large numbers of men at arms. I'll let Stuart give you some actual numbers, but they're huge!

So what you're saying is the most common CAV are mercenary groups. Simply because it's faster to deal with them than the red tape and UN security council meetings nessassary to gain approval so they can wake the mighty war machine, and squash whatever third-world (literally).

And aparantly, if there's ginormous conglomo corporations, it's cheaper this way, too.

--lstormhammer

So what you're saying is the most common CAV are mercenary groups.

Mercs are just easy to use with what you want to do.  Most of the time the things that you'll be doing are raids, and patrol duties...  These kind of jobs are best left to "Expendibles" instead of your own troops.

Just because Terra has a lot of manpower doesn't necesarily mean that they can be deployed in a reasonable amount of time.  Mercs offer employers ready made, rapid deployable and easily deniable military assets.

Additionally, the Galaxy is just now recovering from an inter-galactic war.  This war was pretty much traumatic for all sides concerned.

Many nations are both unprepared to, or unwilling to, commit to another full scale war on par with the Galaxy War.

Because of all of this...  Mercs are very appealing and thus, fashionable these days.

That could change very quickly as more merc units are deployed and tension start to heat...  Pretty soon, the merc will be discarded (or relegated to auxilliary troops) and the real troops will be used as war will be enevitable.

say, since we were talking about AoE weapons before, I have a question. Say a specter gets TL and chains in with the other 3 specters in it's unit. Hypotheticly, no matter how many units I hit, I still only roll 4 dice right? If some of the units I hit are hard and some soft, I just add the respective bonus right?

No, you resolve each attack sperately.  So, you would roll 1d10 + the AV (Hard or Soft Target as applicable) for the weapon for each model that is within the AoE of that weapon.

(See Rulebook, page 96)

Make sense?

so say you get TL with this group of hypothetical infantry, which was just dropped from an APC with 3 other hypothetical infantry. i would roll 4d10 right? one for each target, adding bonuses as needed.

Yes.

Let's break it down:

You have 4x Specters in a section.  These Specters go to perform an Indirect Attack against a group (?) of Infantry (it should read "stand of Infantry").  This Infantry Stand is within AoE of an APC (who, just previously, had three stands of Regular Infantry disemark from it).

Did I get all that?

Now, the Target Infantry Stand takes 4 attacks from the Specters using a d10+the Soft Target AV of the Weapon+the Chain Locking Specter's TL Number (total- 4x 1D10+7).

The APC being within AoE takes 4 attacks as well.  However, these are only d10+the Hard Target AV of the Weapon (Total- 4x 1d10+2).

EACH of the other three Infantry stands also take 4 attacks. These are d10+the Soft Target AV of the Weapon (Total- 4x 1d10+4 (FOR EACH INFANTRY STAND WITHIN AOE)).

So, in total, you're rolling 20d10 and adding appropriate AV and TL bonuses.

There you go.  Hope that helps.