Denelspire

Sir Drake,

Welcome to the Crusader ranks. Your army list is interesting and I like your plan of attack. After hearing your arguments for your choices it seems well thought out. The biggest potential flaw that I see is lack of numbers. Crusaders already enter most games outnumbered, but this is a small force even for Crusaders. I suggest that you downgrade the hound to the Celestial Lion and use the extra points for grunts. I will be anxious to hear how your hit & run tactics work. Once you have to fight a crypt legion with scads of cheap grunts you will understand why I have concerns about your low numbers.............

Castlebuilder

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been rethinking my list and my objectives. And I believe you are correct. Have worked up a second list I like. It gets away from the heavy armored troops and goes with lighter armor with more healing.

Troop 1: 325 points

Sir Broderick

3 x Justicar

2 x Temple Ironspine

4 Hospitalers

Troop 2: 196 points

Sister Majeda 2x Bandage

3 Battle Nuns

2 x Temple Ironspine

Troop 3: 228 points

Herne Light Lancer

3x Ivy Crown Light Lancers w/ Standard

That is 749 points and 20 models.

Gives me a solid block with troops 1 & 2. As people fall in troops 1 and 2, the hospitalers get them back up and we keep going. The sister's bandages are mainly for the cav who can be up to 24" away.

When they get into combat the leader + 3 troops forms a front line with an Ironspine behind each group of 2, helping support everyone.

With the Justicars and Lancers Discipline of 8, we can grant mercy a whole lot.

And with the Lancers Raider I can auto-break from combat without even rolling unless someone is injured.

Tactic is to just move up the center 2 troops, healing as I go from magic and arrows. If the opponent concentrates on the Hospitelers, then the fighting force is unscathed. If he goes for the force, the hospitelers get them back up quick. Run the side by side so the hospitelers can service both squads. Add in almost everyone with Toughness 2 and we got a stout force.

The Lancers go after archers and wizards and try to take them out, break and run away. With a 28" charge range effectively, I can tie up a archer unit on turn 1, and keep them from shooting.

Or hit a wizard, wound him, grant him mercy. Next turn, pick him up and carry him away. Have the sister bandage him, or take him to the hospitlers and I have a free wizard.

Just some thoughts. With the Justicars going down in points, they are now one of my favorite units.

And doesn't it seem funny Broderick has a lower discipline than the justicars??

Let me know what you think. I know, I know this is so different than my last list. I promise not to post a whole new list every day. I think I really want to try this one out quick, but it will be awhile before I get my next game in. Probably 2 weeks. Ugghhh!!

SD

Hi, I have started collecting Crusaders. So far I only have 1 game in but I really like this system so far.

From everything I can see so far Kristianna is my favorite warlord. What do others think about her? I realize that she only lets you field one hero, but since she is an incredible cleric you really only need one. I am think of pairing her with Marcus Gideon or Sir Damon the Impetous depending on who I am playing. Add a body guard of Templar Knights and Ivy Crown Archers and some interesting spells are you are set.

I am in the same boat you are. I've played one game and getting ready for my 2nd. I love Kristinna as well, but have a hard time justifying the cost of a warlord in less than 1000 point game. We are currently playing 750 point games, so I use a captain and a couple of Sargeants.

What point games do you use?

Also, while I had pretty good success with a couple of archers, they seem so overcosted for what you are getting. I'd think with a lot of terrain and cavalry starting to show up more and more, archers are not going to be near as effective. Though my son who plays wood elves disagrees. We will be playing soon, we shall see.

SD

I am in the same boat you are. I've played one game and getting ready for my 2nd. I love Kristinna as well, but have a hard time justifying the cost of a warlord in less than 1000 point game. We are currently playing 750 point games, so I use a captain and a couple of Sargeants.

Also, while I had pretty good success with a couple of archers, they seem so overcosted for what you are getting. I'd think with a lot of terrain and cavalry starting to show up more and more, archers are not going to be near as effective. Though my son who plays wood elves disagrees. We will be playing soon, we shall see.

SD

While Kristianna is on my must-buy list, I agree that she is a lot of points (esp. after giving her spells) to put into one model for a lower-point game.

Sir D, as far as your son having a different attitude towards archers when he's playing Elves, that a real apples and oranges situation to me. What you get for your points in elven archery is a WHOLE 'nother deal than the Ivy Crown guys. ::D:

Sir D, as far as your son having a different attitude towards archers when he's playing Elves, that a real apples and oranges situation to me. What you get for your points in elven archery is a WHOLE 'nother deal than the Ivy Crown guys. ::D:

Oh yea I know. I have to come clean and admit, Elves were going to be my first choice for army. I've never really played Elves before, always thought they were a little too pansy like for my taste. But I was willing to jump in and give them a try.

Then my son shows up with an Elf list. 5 archers in a 750 point list. And now he is talking about taking more.

He loves that volley ability.

I was actually relieved that now I had a good excuse not to take elves and were immediately drawn to the Crusader faction and haven't looked back.

You are are correct Elves get a lot more bang for their buck with their archers, but they are still so expensive at 45+ points a model for archers. Don't understand how skeleton archers are so much cheaper. But they don't get that marsman ability which makes IC archers and Elf archers so great.

But I still think fast cav can negate archery pretty fast. We shall see.

SD

You are are correct Elves get a lot more bang for their buck with their archers, but they are still so expensive at 45+ points a model for archers. Don't understand how skeleton archers are so much cheaper. But they don't get that marsman ability which makes IC archers and Elf archers so great.

But I still think fast cav can negate archery pretty fast. We shall see.

SD

Vale Archers get Marksman, +6" to range (compared to Skeletal Archers), +1 RAV, and the Ranger ability.

SD

The games are mostly going to be 1000 points. You are right at 750 I won't go for a warlord at all.

I think the ivy crown archers will be critical to my style. 3 archers can take down a model or two and also deal with flyers. Kristianna either blesses the archers, holds/parts the enemy, teleports marcus, heals her guardian knights or even raises one from the dead as necessary. The body guard deal with the foes as they reach my line, preferablly piecemeal and shot up a bit.

depending on points my second troop will be temple knights and long spikes led by a good sergeant or some cavalry and they go aggressive.

If I can fit a summoned solo into the mix so much the better for marcus's teleport.

Good rule of thumb is "If the game doesn't require a Warlord, don't take one."

You're only required to take a Warlord for games of 1001 points or higher. Anything below that and it's usually better to just take Captains and Sergeants.

I'd put your cleric Sgt. with the Archers and have him do the Blessing. Kristianna, despite her lackluster combat abilities, would do better a little closer to the frontline (where spells like Hold would be more useful).

Ivy Crown archers are of the Archery school of Quantity over Quality. They are not the greatest archers in the game by anyone's imagination. A Bless, and making use of their Marksmen ability definitely helps their effectiveness.

Don't bank on them mowing down your opposition. With most models, you are going to be needing 10's to hit. It will however keep your opponent honest, and force him to not just walk up the middle of the table.

And remember, if you're going to need 10's no matter what, go for those thread the needle shots. So what if the opponent gets all kinds of additional cover bonuses because your 1/2 inch LOS corridor is partially obstructed by some enemy bases, you still need a 10, so you might as well go for the virtually impossible 10 shot and really make that miracle shot hurt -_-

You're only required to take a Warlord for games of 1001 points or higher. Anything below that and it's usually better to just take Captains and Sergeants.

I think that is way underpointed. I really wouldnt want to field my warlord in games less than 1500-2000 points. At least from the "required to" point of view...

I thought that you were only required to have a Warlord in 1501+ pt games.

That is correct.

Oh good. I just couldn't figure out how to get Krissy in a game of under 1501 pts.

Speaking of which. Oh WOW is she Amazingly Good!

On a totally different subject:

If you have 3 clerics can you pay for 3 Guardian Beasts and only have 1 in play at a time?

Agreed, I won't ever touch a Warlord in games I don't have to, they just arn't cost effective in smaller games (This was changed a long time ago, Warlords are required in 1501+ point games; if you don't have a second printing rulebook see the following thread for links to the erratta download: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15305