Denelspire

I thought that you were only required to have a Warlord in 1501+ pt games.

That is correct.

Oh good. I just couldn't figure out how to get Krissy in a game of under 1501 pts.

Speaking of which. Oh WOW is she Amazingly Good!

On a totally different subject:

If you have 3 clerics can you pay for 3 Guardian Beasts and only have 1 in play at a time?

No. Guardian Beast is a Unique model which still applies during army creation. You may not have more than one in your army, even if you hold two in reserve.

I know, it's a bummer. I'd love to field more than one of the beasties too.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that you were only required to have a Warlord in 1501+ pt games.

That is correct.

Oh good. I just couldn't figure out how to get Krissy in a game of under 1501 pts.

Speaking of which. Oh WOW is she Amazingly Good!

On a totally different subject:

If you have 3 clerics can you pay for 3 Guardian Beasts and only have 1 in play at a time?

No. Guardian Beast is a Unique model which still applies during army creation. You may not have more than one in your army, even if you hold two in reserve.

I know, it's a bummer. I'd love to field more than one of the beasties too.

no

Poo. ^_^

I was pretty sure that was the answer, but I had to ask just in case.

Good rule of thumb is "If the game doesn't require a Warlord, don't take one."

You're only required to take a Warlord for games of 1001 points or higher. Anything below that and it's usually better to just take Captains and Sergeants.

I'd put your cleric Sgt. with the Archers and have him do the Blessing. Kristianna, despite her lackluster combat abilities, would do better a little closer to the frontline (where spells like Hold would be more useful).

I prefer the rule 'If you can fit a warlord in at all, do so'. Mainly because the models are really cool looking and I want to put them on the game table. I play for the cool factor not the what works best factor in general. In smaller games the Sergeant goes with the archers just like you said. In bigger games too when I can fit in a third troop.

Picked up the Crusader book, and all I can say is wow. It is soo cool. And healers are even better than mentioned.

Not only do you get 1 free heal per turn with them. You can heal an opponent and get a 2nd mercy in per turn.

They can also be treated as Elite in certain sublists.

The sublist of Justice is totally awesome. I expect to see a lot of those running around. If we can only figure out what the new special rule is that they left out of the book.

SD

Ok, if the book is out, someone give is a rundown of what is in it (seeing as how us overseas are unlikely to see it for at least a few weeks). Not looking for specific details, just a general overview.

How many sub-factions? What are they? Quick overview of them (are they geared more towards melee, healing, etc)

How many new spells? Are they Cleric or Mage? Are their any that can be used by other Factions?

How many new items?

Hi all.

Having read the new book I want to post my first 750pt army. Its going to be for a mini tourney. I expect several elf and dwarf armies, 1 nefsokar, 1 darkspawn, 1 reptus.

Lord Ironraven+greater magic armor, divine favor and Magic Spear

Finari+lesser magic armor+lesser magic weapon

5 templar knights

2 templar iron spikes

2 hospitalers

Sgt Conlan+blessx2

4 Ivy crown archers

2 templar iron spikes

I am considering the following for the second troop instead

Sgt Conlan+blessx2

3 Ivy crown archers

4 ivy crown skirmishers

Thoughts?

Troop 1, I'd swap Ironravens Greater Armor for lesser armour, if you are intent on using the spear you'll be in the back ranks anyhow and shouldn't have to worry too much about melee. And with the Divine Favour and Hospitaliers you've set yourself up to heal him anyway. With Defelct and the Lesser Armour he'll have DV 12 against any ranged attacks, whcih means everyone except the Elves will need to roll 10's to hit.

Remove the magic items from Finari, add a Familiar to Conlan. His CP is too low to count on his bandages being effective unless you boost his CP, or give him a familiar to recast the spell later if he fails.

Use the left over points to add another model to your second unit.

Are Iron Spikes = Iron Spines from the Main rulebook (Did they undergo a name change in the faction book?)

If so I'd drop them from the 2nd unit and replace them with 2 Skirmishers (3 if you drop the equipment I noted above and have points left over) instead while keeping the 4 archers.

No it is still Ironspines. I'll try to post more tomorrow. 1 new cleric spell for everyone. About 4-5 new spells just for crusaders. All cleric IIRC.

The biggest thing I noticed is that Templar knights are now Adept unless using the Justice sublist.

Only 1 sublist, though they call it about 3 different things.

You are going to love all the new stuff though.

SD

Templar Knights are adepts now? I had a sneaking suspicion that this would happen, very similar to what happened to the bull orcs. This is a letdown, but I'll reserve full judgment until I can see the book for myself and find out exactly what models are available to the Army of Justice. The Armor of the Faithful SA is cool, but I like having knights as my main melee soldier model and being able to use Mercy. Guess that role goes to Ivy Crown Skirmishers now in the regular army list. (By the way, what is the regular Crusader amy list called? Is it "Crusader Default" like the Necros have, or something more inventive like the Reven have?)

I really thought there were going to be at least two sub-armies based on all of the different groups described in the fluff in the core book. But that's ok, not complaining about having only one.

A few final questions for those in the know that will determine whether I get the boxed set as I originally planned or skip it and just get the book: even if Justicars remain adepts in Army of Justice (assuming they are included in the first place), is there a way to have them in more than one troop before hitting the 2000 mark? With my style of army-building, I wouldn't typically cram nine Justicars into the same troop, so I'd probably end up with extra minis that I won't really use.

Also, for those who have the Necro or Reven boxed sets, what are the painting guides like? Are they specific to each faction or generic? Do they give much info beyond what's presented in the core book? Are they something that help make getting the boxed set worth the cost, or something that doesn't really matter either way? Thanks in advance.

Ok, without trying to quote every question.

The base list is called The Crusaders (default). So nothing fancy. The Justice sublist has about 3 different names. So got me a bit confused wondering if they were talking about a different sublist that I couldn't find.

But its different names are:

The Justice Sublist

Army of Aurellius

& The Templar List.

Justicars are still in the sublist, but are still adepts, but also pick up Judgement.

From what I can tell, Justicars are only allowed in 1 unit.

In the Crusader list If you take Gerard any adepts can be Grunts in his company. So you can have 2 troops with Justicars and TK's.

There is 5 new cleric spells. 1 is available to everyone. 4 are just for Crusaders and their sub-lists (ie. Justice sub-list).

4 new magic items.

1 new scenario

5 new special abilities.

And a ton of fluff.

I have the book with me today. I'm willing to answer questions about specific things but don't get carried away.

Hope that helps,

SD

Knights are gong to be adepts now?? Oof! I guess I'll have to see when I (finally) get the book who is and isn't on the Templar sub-list. I don't currently have any battle nuns or Ivy Crown troops, so maybe I'll be OK. What about the Lion? Is he on the sub-list?

No Nuns, Nothing with Ivy Crown at all and no Hospitelers for the Justice list.

The lion is in it.

Basically its anything with Templar in it. The Lion Lancers, then the Lion, Hound, Angel and Beast.

Couple of elites and 8 or so characters.

Several of the characters and the Justicars pick up judgement. Everyone has the Armor instead of Mercy. Except for many, the Armor special ability doesn't do anything for them.

SD

No Nuns, Nothing with Ivy Crown at all and no Hospitelers for the Justice list.

The lion is in it.

Basically its anything with Templar in it. The Lion Lancers, then the Lion, Hound, Angel and Beast.

Couple of elites and 8 or so characters.

Several of the characters and the Justicars pick up judgement. Everyone has the Armor instead of Mercy. Except for many, the Armor special ability doesn't do anything for them.

SD

Thanks for the info!

My current 750-pt. army has Ironraven, Conlan, and Halbarad as the characters/leader-elites. I also have (but not currently using) Valandil, Broderick, and Malcolm. Are any of those not on the list?

Sorry to pester, but it will drastically affect my build. Plus, until Alliance removes that #(@$%! "NYA", my FLGS can't even special order the book for me. :down: