Denelspire

Pick up some Lion's Lancers. Even two of them will muck with enemy archers.

And that's a lot of pain on Valandil. At least swap out one of the Firestorms for a Fireball.

And you're better off with a single Unforgiven in each troop, rather than a single troop with all of them.

I've seen the Hound used to excellent effect, and it's both cheaper and faster than the Guardian Beast. Might want to consider going that route. Pairing a fast solo like the hound with a troop of cavalry models is very effective.

PS

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Sarec. Templar Knights in an Army of Justice become grunts. I personally don't field any unpainted models, and I only have 3 Justicars at the moment. I'm getting some in a week or two, but am not sure I can have them in time. Divine Favor is for Elites or Leaders. I'm about this close <> to taking Valindil out all together. I'm shy about an Army of Justice list.

@ Storminator I'm not into cav. I imagine the speed wiould turn some peoples' heads round here. They're used to my knights trudging up, with my dogs taking the job of racing across the field. I mainly use cover to get up them. But cav is something I've been kicking around. Maybe. The hound hasn't really caught my eye. The big, burly beast with his tough and Horrid/Holy is real attractive. I like using him to suck up attention, again, drawing my opponents away from the Templars and Justicars coming on over.

So I guess I need to ax ya'll Crusaders sumptin'. What's good to run? The angel and hound don't catch my eye. I've got the angel, but he's more of a point hog than Gerard (whom I enjoy using). I like Templar Knights, and Justicars. I really like the war dogs. Hospitaliers are cool, and I like Healing Graces. But what is the ultimate Crusader list? Anybody got a guess?

well, all you have to do is go over to Reapergames to see that Kelcore is the guy to ask that question to....

But, then again if you ask him, then you should probably listen to his suggestion and not blow it off like you did Storm's (who is also one of the games best players) suggestions of the hound and cavalry.

Kinda funny that you shoot down a couple of very good suggestions then turn around and ask for good suggestions....

I'm probably not one to talk since I'm hardly an experienced player, but -for me- assembling lists is 1 part strategy and 1 part aesthetics. I can't help it, but when I try to think of a 750 point list, or 1000, or any amount, I inevitably start trying to use the models I like the looks of. I like to think my overall strategy is sound ("Let's see, I need some solid melee guys, some shock troops, and some sort of cleric." etc.), but I find it very hard to only pay attention to the numbers. If I don't like the sculpt (or like another model better), it's going to influence my army list.

I expect it comes of primarily being an RPG-er and not a minis gamer. ::):

I've not had a chance to see the Guardian Beast on the field, but I can vouch for how nasty that Hound of Judgement is, especially if he's cruising with some Outriders. A handy Cleric with Speed makes him a particularly deadly assassin with his phenomenal movement. Speed to get him in, rear base and assassinate, or even better, offer Mercy (obviously not an option in the Army of Justice). Then move the heck out of dodge.

Unless Valandil is well screened and protected, I'd be wary of pouring so many points into him for spells. He's brutally effective with his high base CP. But your opponents will know that and make sure he doesn't stick around long. Just expect that and make sure you plan to defend accordingly.

Creating the ultimate list depends entirely on the tactics of you, your primary opponents, and who else you may face. Creating the perfect well rounded troop to take on all comers is pretty difficult.

Just remember, with Mercy, you don't need to field a perfect army, because you enemy will provide you with the extra balance you need :devil: Didn't field Ivy Crown Archers? That's okay, take theirs.

@ Sarec. Templar Knights in an Army of Justice become grunts. I personally don't field any unpainted models, and I only have 3 Justicars at the moment. I'm getting some in a week or two, but am not sure I can have them in time. Divine Favor is for Elites or Leaders. I'm about this close <> to taking Valindil out all together. I'm shy about an Army of Justice list.

You're right, they do become grunts, I was at work at the time and missed that one. :blink: And thanks for the clarification on the Divine Favor. If you ditch Valandil and don't bring in any archers then consider bringing in Halbarad with some hold spells or something to slow down your opponents at the very least. If you don't have any ranged combat then make sure they don't either or otherwise stop their grunts so you're able to quickly disperse of them and move on to their archers or whatever.

well, all you have to do is go over to Reapergames to see that Kelcore is the guy to ask that question to....

But, then again if you ask him, then you should probably listen to his suggestion and not blow it off like you did Storm's (who is also one of the games best players) suggestions of the hound and cavalry.

Kinda funny that you shoot down a couple of very good suggestions then turn around and ask for good suggestions....

I've had to rewrite my post several times, I took your response personally. The main reason I "shot down" Storminator is becuase I don't have any calvary peices. The main reason is they cost more money than non-mounted. Warlord is not my primary game. I apologize if I affended anybody.

I've had to rewrite my post several times, I took your response personally. The main reason I "shot down" Storminator is becuase I don't have any calvary peices. The main reason is they cost more money than non-mounted. Warlord is not my primary game. I apologize if I affended anybody.

I was not offended. I have built many an army around "models on hand."

PS

If you want to use the models you have, I'd list them, and then ask for army suggestions. Might be an easier way for us to help.

If you want to go the direction of Hospitaliers I think you'll almost certainly need to field Skirmishers to be honest, as Templar warriors being adepts in the Default list makes things difficult.

Granted, you could get one unit in with the Justicars + 1-2 Ironspines + 1-2 Unforgiven, and take a second unit using Templar Warriors, and a thrid unit of Hospitaliers to support:

Troop 1:

36-Sir Malcolm

93-3 x Justicars

42-2 x Ironspines

50-2 x Unforgiven

-----

Troop2:

108-Lord IronRaven

25- +Spear

243- 9xTemplar Knights

----

Troop 3:

30-Sir Conlan

84-3 x Hospitaliers

----

=711 points, plenty of options with 289 points to left over, but it might be a good basis for 1000 points.

I like to put my hospitilers in a unit with my justicars.

So i do something like:

Broderick

3 Justicars

2 Ironspines

4 Hospitilers

Conlan

3 TK's

2 Ironspines

Then some Lion Lancers or Light lancers depending on if I'm going 750 or 1000.

I then run 2 hospitilers with the Justicars, 1 behind the templars and then I'll run by himself as a tweener. So he can run to several areas where ever he is needed.

Running them with the unit makes them a lot more powerful as you can definetely get in the heal before they have to make their Toughness test.

Running them seperate can be tricky as they can get left behind or you have to activate that unit before the hospitilers and are forced to make a toughness test that you don't want to.

SD

For those that run Cavalry... how do you lead them? I think I am running a pair of Lion's Lancers in an Army of Justice. Is Danel the best bet, or is it more cost effective to attach them to some other unit and have them leave cohision?

For those that run Cavalry... how do you lead them? I think I am running a pair of Lion's Lancers in an Army of Justice. Is Danel the best bet, or is it more cost effective to attach them to some other unit and have them leave cohision?

I usually run Sir Danel with 3 Lion Lancers. This gives me some really good punch and I can base up to 2 guys with support.

The armor is nice and will deflect most missiles.

But for pure speed, Herne with three light lancers and a musician cannot be beat. Don't let them get attacked or they will die, but being able to move 26" in a turn is fantastic. And have had great success with these guys as well.

But I'll usually only run 1 or the other not both. And cavalry are the one guys, that if you get bogged down in combat you need to break and move away.

SD

Troop 1 289

Sir Brannor x1 73

Bandage x3 30

Justicars x6 186

Troop 2 233

Sir Danel x1 99

Lion's Lancers x2 134

Troop 3 129

Sir Conlan x1 30

Bandage x2 20

Templar Knights x2 54

Unforgiven x1 25

Troop 4 163

Sir Malcolm x1 36

Templar Knights x3 81

Unforgiven x1 25

Ironspines x1 21

Troop 5

Guardian Beast x1 185

21 models, total points-999

After deciding not to eat for the week, I've invested in some Lion's Lancers as well as Sir Danel and some more Justicars. I'm not gonna invest in a Hound at this point. I have a few more Templar Knights, Unforgiven and Ironspines. I have most of the non-mounted units.

Should I pull the Beast for Marcus Gideon, or Finari, Halbarad or some others? The Beast, in the past, has been wonderful, in that he can hold his own, and he freaks my opponents out. The fact that my Reven foe ignored my Justicars marching towards his archers while he tried to put arrows in the Beast won me my last tourney. And he never did put an arrow in it. ::D:

Troop 1 289

Sir Brannor x1 73

Bandage x3 30

Justicars x6 186

Troop 2 233

Sir Danel x1 99

Lion's Lancers x2 134

Troop 3 129

Sir Conlan x1 30

Bandage x2 20

Templar Knights x2 54

Unforgiven x1 25

Troop 4 163

Sir Malcolm x1 36

Templar Knights x3 81

Unforgiven x1 25

Ironspines x1 21

Troop 5

Guardian Beast x1 185

21 models, total points-999

After deciding not to eat for the week, I've invested in some Lion's Lancers as well as Sir Danel and some more Justicars. I'm not gonna invest in a Hound at this point. I have a few more Templar Knights, Unforgiven and Ironspines. I have most of the non-mounted units.

Should I pull the Beast for Marcus Gideon, or Finari, Halbarad or some others? The Beast, in the past, has been wonderful, in that he can hold his own, and he freaks my opponents out. The fact that my Reven foe ignored my Justicars marching towards his archers while he tried to put arrows in the Beast won me my last tourney. And he never did put an arrow in it. ::D:

rascal, I have been wondering about whether or not it is worth giving up Mercy for the Army of Justice sub-list. Since it looks like this is what you are running, I am wondering how you feel about the lack of Mercy?

Personally , I'm not a fan of small troops , they get swarmed too easily and taken apart .

Here's a couple of 1000 point lists I find very useful . ::D:

Sir Broderick

6 Justicars

2 Unforgiven

Halbarad + 4 Bandages

Sir Brannor + LME + 2 Bandages

6 Templar Knights

2 Ironspines

2 Unforgiven

2 Celestial Lions

(23 figures - 4 activation cards)

Sir Broderick