Denelspire

Yep ,they can be boring but also its what they have to play with that can be restrictive (limited amount of figures). One chap thought his supercharged Khong -To was the be all and end all till he had his butt handed to him a dozen times . :blink:

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always play reptus, because that's what I have. Also, I usually go melee heavy, cuz that's what I'm good at. But I have never played the same list twice (except for a few "every model I own" games). My opponents can expect to be fighting a reptus fist fightin' force, and usually plan accordingly. But I wouldn't say that is boring. As long as I mix up my tactics a bit and don't bring the same plan each time, we should always have a good time.

why would I want to play anything but reptus anyway? GRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry mooseyjoe! I worded my statement poorly. What I meant was:

"If I played against someone who brought the same army list/roster week after week, I'd obviously start playing accordingly. I just didn't think someone would be so boring ::D:"

Playing the same army is fine, as long as you mix it up a bit from week to week, and don't bring the exact same list each time. Not that there is anything wrong with the same list every week, I just think that would be boring, and if I was your opponent, I would definately start planning accordingly. ::D:

I'll very rarely configure my army to a specific opponent or army list. Even when I know what I will be facing, often it is more an experiment to see how a generic list or certain combination will far against what I know my opponent is bringing.

I don't like to take advantage or peoples builds, unless their is a lesson to be learned, if a particular person thinks their army is a be-all, end-all build, I might take time to put together a list that shows them how their army can be exploited.

I actually rarely trying to exploit my opponents list, more often in games I'm trying to utilise my strenghts and learn how certain units fuction together. Probably why I don't win as often as I should, but also why most of the time I really enjoy playing the game.

If I showed up and my opponent asked 'What army did you bring', and I told them, and then they proceeded to build a custom army to defeat me I have to say I'd feel more than a little peeved, it's a matter of etiquette. Both players should have equal footing, so if one player knows what faction his opponent is going to field, so should the other so they can both tailor their forces.

So, what do veteran Crusader players think of the new, improved Mercy rule?

Does it change your game? Or just more of the same?

thirt-teen games since January(have 50% grasp of the rules)...I've never used the 'mursay EsSay', but after reading the 'mercy thread' it should change the way eyeplays...must remember to write myself a note to use 'mercie'.

From the dozen or so games I've played with the Faction book , I don't feel that the new "Mercy" rule really had as much affect as some would have you believe it would . I've only lost one of the games and the games I won had more to do with the opponents bad dice rolls at critical times , than my ability to take some of their models , some were really close fought affairs . The biggest things I've found is the Justicar/Hospitalier troop that just stays around and around . ::D:

I havn't used it, although as my comments in the other discussion thread suggest I think it will be significant if your opponent lets it be. Should they bring alot of the typical solos and characters along the Crusaders will easily be able to gain a serious advantage they never had.

I seriously think that as a group Crusader players should express to Reaper that they were pretty content with the rule as previously written. It was fun, it was flavorful, and most importantly, while it could make a serious impact, in most cases it was balanced.

Since I've joined Black Lightning, I will eventually be ALL of the guys. ::D:

Reven will still be my primary army though. My goblins won't be green. I'm going to be going for the old classic AD&D red-orange-yellow skinned golbins for my boys. Gives me a chance to stretch my color muscles and do something other than green over and over.

I thought that was the Orks that had the red/orange/yellow thing. Keep on the Border Lands? Some one should write up a Warlord Senario Book baced off of that module.

In that vein, I plan to paint my Owl Bear pink ala the back cover of KotBL.

Is everyone in a position of authority with the Ivy Crown female? :blink: One or two female models are cool but this recent surge in female Crusader models is just really making me want to play Overlords.

Women complain that there aren't enough female models but I'm feeling alienated because there's so many.

No one listen to this guy. :lol: I like the female crusader models. Battle nuns look pretty cool.

So I've got the Crusader book and have been toying around with different builds looking for something "interesting" to play. Don't have any models yet, so this is purely speculative for the time being and this definitely won't be a tournament list. Anyway, here's the list...

1500pts even

Troop 1

Jehanne

Devona

-Dispel x2

-Ice Shard x2

Isarah

-Holy Light

-Bandage x4

4 Light Lancers

7 Lesser Magical Armor

Musician

Troop 2

Sir Danel

Sir Damon

4 Lion's Lancers

6 Lesser Magical Armor

Musician

Now I know, not many models and subject to swarming once engaged with the cavalry bases making for plenty of support bonuses to the other side. Only ranged attack is Devona, and not much by way of magic. I figure this list will either win or lose spectacularly, but rarely make for a "close" game. I figure the key is going to be to advance quickly using cover as available and use Mercy judiciously.

Any thoughts?

An all-cavalry Crusader army is a neat idea and looks cool on paper and when you deploy, but I honestly don't think you have much of a chance of winning (unless your opponent is very inexperienced or tries something equally gimicky and risky).

Points-wise, cavalry are just no match for footsoldiers. Generally, they cost 100-150% more than footsoldiers with similar melee stats. Sticking with our beloved Crusaders, a Lion's Lancer (MAV 2, DV 10) costs 67 points, compared to a Templar Knight (MAV 2, DV 11) at 27 points. Cavalry are good for taking out solos and other specific targets and for providing a strong first attack against an enemy line, but they get chewed up by the sheer numbers of enemies once they get stuck in. Cavalry are quite fast, which partially explains their high cost, but this is not very useful for you in an all-cavalry army because all you can do by utilizing their speed is to decrease the amount of time it will take for your opponent to surround your guys.

Anyway, I don't mean to discourage you from trying your list; it can be a lot of fun trying a very specialized army. One suggestion would be to drop some of the equipment and get a few more models. You have 195 points invested in armor upgrades. Also, you probably don't really need a musician since cavalry are fast as it is and their speed isn't really that much of an advantage anyway in an all-cavalry army. More Lion's Lancers and Bandages for Isarah would be useful. Also, don't take Holy Light unless you're certain you'll be facing undead. Giving more spells to Devona would be good as well (maybe another pair of Ice Shards to max out her spell capacity). Have fun!