Reaperbryan

Slave Pits of Craclaw

Whoa look at all the cobwebs in here......HELLO!!!!! any O-lords out here??????

Dang we Reven must have scared them off. ::):

Well our local O-lord has been proxying 2-3 Chevaliers each battle. He ran over the Nefsokar with em too.

It's going to be a cold day in hell before anyone can completely silence the Overlords in the Forgewalk Marches.

Unless Storminator and Overlord Dan decide to change armies.

We Overlords prefer not to advertise our tactics in public like the lesser factions. And look at the Balance of Power fool! With the smallest number of armies, we more than hold our own. If Frosch weren't spending Reven support points like water were would you green skins be? :lol:

PS

Lesser factions!!!! Well I look at the map and see Reven axes in 5 areas...hmmm oh wait there are two O-lord symbols on the map. :grr:

I will admit that the closest I came to losing was at the hands of the O-Lords....but they were just not good enough.::D:

Where are the dwarfs....I wonder..out getting drunk I'm sure. ::):

Lesser factions!!!! Well I look at the map and see Reven axes in 5 areas...hmmm oh wait there are two O-lord symbols on the map. :grr:

I will admit that the closest I came to losing was at the hands of the O-Lords....but they were just not good enough.::D:

Where are the dwarfs....I wonder..out getting drunk I'm sure. ::):

I see the truth hurts! ^_^

I see those Reven axes as well, and I see that only one of them was earned in battle. The rest come from sending fruit baskets to little old ladies so every will like the tuskers.

Add up all your Reven victories in all of Taltos. See how close you get to the 21 Overlord victories Forgewalk Marches currently sports. ::P:

Don't get me wrong, you're not as sorry as the elves, but please... come back when you're a real army.

PS

Well to steal (sort of) a phrase some great American hero once said, my Reven have not yet begun to fight.

Most of the players here don't like to play my Reven they want me to play my crusaders cause I don't use them as well yet. Just wait til Sept. I will be fighting many battles with the Reven. I will take over the Redstones once again and be spreading Reven seeds where ever I see weakness mwhahahahaha!!!!! ::D:

Actually the O-Lords have some of the coolest looking grunts out there which makes me wonder why more peeps don't play em. For a faction with so few players you guys do quite well...what are them elves (and dwarves and reptus) doing. I guess they want to be enslaved by you O-Lords.....but never the Reven!!!! :grr::grr:

I agree with the not-post-tactics-openly, though i tend to watch my enemy and not my own in battle.

i was the one who almost ate Ugluk's Reven . i DID kill Kiakara in a sack-beating, and made his army shake. but as fate had it, they won.

the Overlords suffer from this, from my POV:

very average troops. high defense, dang unique archer type. but i love breakers and their breakers SUCK!

their leader is a friggin' cross dresser. look at the mini. she's swingin her hips like a Too-Wong-Foo maniac. i never use ashkrypt. Andrast carries my battles for me.

aslo a weakness of mine...no reliance on Warlord for power. i brig balthon or Golem instead.

Onyx Chevaliers. they should have 1 less wound rank, cost 30 points less, and be an Adept choice. with an Onyx Chevalier non-unique sergeant that works like the Chev's do. i bring 3 Chevs and i get three random-event d1ck-swingers.

The overlords rock in all other aspects, but i have not sold out to the crossdresser and rely too much on my not-as-cool solo's. you overlord players are the men, you have brass ones and we all know it.

Overlords. the Winning faction in 2006 once their faction book arrives.

New Warlord, please?

PS:

would be cool if what made the Overlords so special is their heavy number of Warlords.

there are supposed to be Seven competing lords of Craclaw. it'd be cool if they had Seven Warlords, but less in the way of diverse troops and specials. it would make them stand out among the factions, and players would have diverity in choosing ultimate commanders. something no other faction really has.

just an idea.

The ability to formation fight with archers can be pretty dang nasty which is what the Overlord archers do best at. The Overlord SA do your duty can really annoy your opponent when he/she somehow lands a defensive strike on Ymrillix with an archer. And for the breakers there is always Iks.

Hello,

I`m thinking about playing overlords for the main reason, they have the coolest looking grunts around. Sadly, the overlord players are not willing to tell their secrets about tactics and composition.

But, having not played yet, I`m not sure, what is special about the overlords.

I think the grunts are pretty basic and worth their cost. They are good. I guess, one advantage of overlords is their great number of elite and that the leaders can take a lot of them (the warlord can take three, the non-unigue captain can take two).

But what troops rock. Is the golem cool? Are the cavalry good (I`m wondering about the lonely attack for 75 points - is cavalry, first strike etc. it worth?).

Which elites are cool? Ymrilix is metioned a lot. I like moraia (looking great) but Arik and Balthon are looking good, too.

Which leader are cool? I don`t like Ashcrypt and Iks because of their looks and I like Corvus and Andras, just because they are looking good and have the same style as the grunts.

If there is no Overlord player willing to tell his secrets about tactics and force compositions, can tell anybody else about his experiences with (effective) overlords?

Thanks

Arcane

Let me tell you about the Overlords...

Storminator can correct me if I happen to miss anything, since he has been my primary Overlord foe over the past year +.

One of the difficulties with the Overlords is that most of their Elite models are Unique. This is good for the rest of us, because most of them are nasty.

Balthon is one of the most powerful Clerics in the game. He and Ymrilix (with some boosts) are very dangerous with a Teleport. Lola is another potent Elite to make use of.

Your Captain, Andras, sucks - mostly because he can field 2 elites (EXTREMELY RARE) and he recently was dropped by about 40 points to cost 70. He sucks for everyone else. He's great for the Overlord players. :grr:

The Onyx Golem is a royal pain in my arse. It's Tough/4 is a nightmare to keep it dead.

Onyx Chevys, their movement is okay, but I honestly haven't seen them be all that spectacular. Great for harassing opposing archers though (keeps them busy)

Life Transfer (in Necropolis: Thule), since you are low on Clerics but high on decent evil mages, is a great spell to use for healing your own troops.

Bondlsaves + Iks = more fodder than you can shake a stick at.

The low command radius SA = higher DIS is useful, as is Do Your Duty to keep your leaders up.

Crossbowmen, with Ranked, very potent. Put them in front of a line of your warriors. Their high DV will protect the archers from returning fire. A mage nearby to protect from Firestorm with a Dispell (especially if you cast it thinking it's a fireball with 2" radius instead of 3" Firestorm :grr::grr: ) is good.

Using Bondslaves in conjunction with spearmen works well. Bondslaves are cheap and have a poor, well, everything, but if enough get around you, and they get enough support, well, they start to suck (for your opponent)

And yeah, your grunts are some of the nicest looking models in the game. It's a fun faction to play against.

Hello,

I`m thinking about playing overlords for the main reason, they have the coolest looking grunts around. Sadly, the overlord players are not willing to tell their secrets about tactics and composition.

But, having not played yet, I`m not sure, what is special about the overlords.

I think the grunts are pretty basic and worth their cost. They are good. I guess, one advantage of overlords is their great number of elite and that the leaders can take a lot of them (the warlord can take three, the non-unigue captain can take two).

But what troops rock. Is the golem cool? Are the cavalry good (I`m wondering about the lonely attack for 75 points - is cavalry, first strike etc. it worth?).

Which elites are cool? Ymrilix is metioned a lot. I like moraia (looking great) but Arik and Balthon are looking good, too.

Which leader are cool? I don`t like Ashcrypt and Iks because of their looks and I like Corvus and Andras, just because they are looking good and have the same style as the grunts.

If there is no Overlord player willing to tell his secrets about tactics and force compositions, can tell anybody else about his experiences with (effective) overlords?

Thanks

Arcane

I assume you're really just a mole for the cursed Reven or maybe the Crusaders, trying to pry our battle secrets out. But I'll answer you anyway:

The Overlord army is built on Elites. We can bring a lot of them, and they all rock.

Ymilrix is a melee machine. He fights like a melee Warlord, for about 2/3 the points. I like to use Balthon and Teleport to get him into combat quickly. I've seen him destroy entire troops, by himself, more than once. If you're going to upgrade his weapon, go all the way for a Greater Magic Weapon. He already has a high enough MAV that another point or 2 isn't impressive, but the extra attack means piles of dead foes around him.

Lola is devastating. She's an Assassin, so she has a good chance of killing models without taking return strikes. I like to put her in a troop of grunts, and keep the grunts around her. This makes my foes fight thru the grunts, and Lola gets to choose when to start her battles. I've tried to use her more as a solo, fighting by herself or rushing up to kill a leader or wizard, and I prefer to have her in the mix with some warriors. She can also use Do Your Duty, which keeps some Defensive Strikes off her. Sometimes I'll give her an armor upgrade, sometimes a speed upgrade.

Balthon is the best cleric in the game. Bring him as often as possible. He's Vile, he'e Ronin, he fights better than any other cleric, and he has the highest cleric CP in the game. I usually don't even upgrade him, just spend the points on spells.

Arik is an awesome mage. If you don't want to bring Ashkrypt, bring Andras and Arik. Again, I don't usually upgrade his equipment, just get spells. He is the only Overlord that can use Dispel with Defensive Magic.

I have never used a Warbride. The sculpt is amazingly cool, but if I want a cheap melee hero I'll bring Lola. I haven't yet needed multiple cheap melee heroes. I'll soon be using her in our campaign, so I should be able to give you a report in a bit.

I also haven't used Kevis, but he's an ordinary mage 2.

The Overlords have a lot of Unique Elites, but that's ok, because there are a LOT of them. The only down side is the single cleric, but if you use Life Transfer from the Necro book, all the Overlord wizards can heal.

On to leaders!

Ashkrypt is the single best mage in the game (also the most expensive...) He has DV 11 plus Deflect, so he's hard to shoot, he's got Horrid and Vile, so he's hard to close on. He has CP 8 so his spells amost always work. He can bring more Elites than you can afford. Use him. Even in games as small as 1000 points he's worth the money.

Andras. Ahhhh, Andras. 2 Elites, 72 points, non unique. Bring a spearman or two with him for Trencher and Do Your Duty. Sometimes he gets Improved Protection.

Iks and Corvus fight pretty much the same. I pick Iks if I want a mob, and Corvus if I want a smal troop. I've recently become fond of Corvus and 3 warriors as a troop. 109 points, a little bit of melee muscle, and another activation card. With Iks I like 14 bondslaves, 4 spearmen and 1 warrior with musician. If you don't want the mucisian you don't really need the warrior; he's just there for armor.

Grunts/Adepts

In addition to looking great, the Overlord grunts are extremely efficient. There are no wasted points on any model. Most grunts should be used in the obvious way. There's really nothing tricky about them.

Bondslaves can usually use numbers to overcome their weak stats, but any enemy grunts with DV 11 will probably cause you problems. Even with numbers the bondslave attacks are too weak to reliably get thru that kind of armor if it's in formation and you can't surround it.

Crossbowmen are awesome. With DV 9 and Deflect they are the hardest archers in the game. WIth RAV of 3 they can trade shots with anyone and win. They do suffer from short range tho, so you need to get close to enemy archers to be effective.

Solos:

Only 2, the Onyx Golem and the Onyx Chevy. The Golem is really good. It just doesn't want to die, and it hits like a ton of brinks (don't ask me about last Tuesday, I think I might cry...)

The Chevy, on the other hand, pretty much sucks. It's killed it's points a couple times, it's been spectacular once, and usually it dies after killing one or maybe two models (and I'm not talking good models here...). It would be much more effective if it wasn't alone all the time. I have used it to acceptable effect in charging enemy archers and drawing fire long enough to get the crossbowmen into range.

That should be enough to get you started!

PS

Storminator I can't believe it you talked............this has got to be misinformation on your part cause you would never reveal trade secrets.....or would you.......hmmmm :wacko:

There's no misinformation there. Trust me, I've been on the losing end of many a battle with him.

Yeah, I wish that Onyx Golem could have been fighting me on Tuesday. I never get that lucky when I face it.