Reaperbryan

Slave Pits of Craclaw

I can't Help but notice that most of the other factions have flyers,

Is this a tactical Concern for the overlords? How do we deal with it?

Do we have any idea if we will be getting a flyer or two with our amry book?

I don't think a flier, in and of itself, is tactically necessary.

I do think speed on the battlefield is enormously important, especially against archer heavy factions. I've adapted by adding Deathriders from the Necro faction and terrorizing every elf in sight with them.

The Overlords are supposed to get some cavalry support, and that will should suplant the need for fliers.

PS

I don't think having a flyer is very neccessary. The Reven just got theirs and honestly, I haven't even used the Harpy yet. Too expensive. Flyers do have to land in order to fight. Currently there is only one model with Flyer that also has a ranged attack - Guros, Baron of Whips from Darkspawn. His RAV and range are horrible though. He'd be the only model you currently have to fear staying airborne and sniping infinitely at you. Every other model with Flyer needs to cast spells, which are finite in supply, or land to kill you. As soon as they are on the ground, Flyers are at a horrible disadvantage.

Reptus don't have a flyer and neither do Nefsokar as well. It's one of those strengths for an Army.

How would an Overlord deal with flyers?

Crossbowmen in Rank behind a Meatshield wall with their RAV 3.

Ashkrpyt or Arik blowing the crap out of them while still in midair.

Lola slipping in behind to assassinate the Flyer once it lands and avoiding Defensive Strikes while getting that +2 bonus to MAV for attacking from the rear.

Ymrilix being teleported to wherever the Flyer lands and carving it to pieces as soon as it touches down.

Lola slipping in behind to assassinate the Flyer once it lands and avoiding Defensive Strikes while getting that +2 bonus to MAV for attacking from the rear.

Ymrilix being teleported to wherever the Flyer lands and carving it to pieces as soon as it touches down.

Have you ever faced the Overlords? :B):

Let me scribble this list down! :lol:

PS

Well I was looking at Reven Initially but... Something about the overloards call to me.

EDIT

Well I was going to ask if our ranged troops were at a disadvantage compared to some of the other factions.. But based on the above little list I guess if we can have a meatshield to protect them we can get in range to attack thier archers.

Also I was reading earlier and I am a bit confused.. to you but the crossbowmen infront of a warrior line or the warrior line infront of the crossbowmen. I think it was refering to Defensive shot...

Have you ever faced the Overlords? :B):

Let me scribble this list down! :lol:

PS

Yeah, those approaches are pretty effective against well, any large threat model <_< and please, like you need to take note Pete. You've dropped every one of them on me at some point. ::D:

Also I was reading earlier and I am a bit confused.. to you but the crossbowmen infront of a warrior line or the warrior line infront of the crossbowmen. I think it was refering to Defensive shot...

Put warriors, spearmen, bondslaves, whatever, in front of your crossbowmen, whatever you want to potentially sacrifice. With ranked, they can fire through a model if the archer's Front Side Base is in b2b with the Rear Base of the Meatshield. Defensive shot or magic will hit the model in front (it's a darn good thing that Firestorm is not eligible for Defensive magic). It's nice too, because your warriors' DV is not too shabby. It also protects from melee attacks (although you would still be vulnerable to flanking maneuvers).

Very effective against armies w/o great spell caster strength, or if they have already spent their spells. One weakness is the 18" range of the Xbow. You'll get shredded in a shoot out with other archers.

And well, you're the only archers with Deflect and have one of the better base DV's for archers in the game.

I still wouldn't trade my Bull Orc Archers with Tough/1, Range 30, and RAV 2 though. ^_^

::(:

Flogging.

Well I am sad to report that the overloards lost a minor skrimish today against the vile Reptus. The responsible parties involved have been flogged and reassigned to less prestigious duties.

Our Forces

Ashkrypt

2x Ice Shards

1x Firestorms

Balthon

2x Bandage

1x Teleport

1x Bless

Familiar

Ymrilix the False

Greater Magic Weapon

2 Overloard Warriors

3 Overloard Crossbowmen

Reptus Scum

Khong-To

2 Warriors

2 Breakers

a Sargent

T-kay (Cleric)

3 Archers

Krung Beast

River Troll

So just looking now he was over his elite limit... But I still lost.

It was a pretty close battle and I learned allot it being my first battle and all..

The First thing is i would have atleast two troops. and More Warriors and Archers.

I would also take more damaging spells on the lich.

Hrm I have allot of learning to do, but I will be much better for next time.

Ok so I had another Defeat handed to me soundly... Although i did forget about do your duty which would have made a huge difference.

I am thinking of fielding this Taskforce in the next up and coming battle..

Can you please let me know what you think.

If you dont want to give away our secrets please feel free to PM me.

Ashkrypt

FireStorm

Fireball

3 Ice Shards

(I want to take more spells with him but I need to free up other points.)

Lola Darkslip

Balthon

4 bandage

Cure

Bless

Hold

3 Crossbowmen

2 Warriors

Sgt. Corvus

2 Warriors

2 Spearmen

Please let me know what you think...

That's an awful lot of spells tied up in two models without a lot of troop support. How many points are you playing at? I don't feel like doing the math :poke:

850 Points.

Well I am not sure what i am supposed to do with ashkrypt once his spells run out.

He ends up standing around holding his.... horns....

I trimmed like 160 points off of him in spells as it is.

It's too bad that the crossbowmen became adepts, but I've learned to make it work. Don't discount them, they are knight killers, plain and simple.

Also what's with the lack of love for Ashy-poo? Ashkrypt is da man! Horrid and Vile? Bring it on, I dare you to charge me! Especially with Life Transfer hanging around now. :devil:

What are the stats on Life Transfer, I didnt see it in my army builder 3 file or the main rule book.. No one here has the Faction books.

Also when did the Crossbowmen become adepts?

I downloaded the First Edition errata because that is the book I ended up with... Do I also need to get the 2nd edition?

Ie errata in frist edition brings it up to 2nd and 2nd edition errata brings that up to date?

You would think they would just errata it to current.

All Archers are Adepts. It came out around the time of 2nd printing, and it should be listed in the .pdf that has all the changes from 1st to 2nd printing.

Life Transfer: 18" Range. Caster Level 2 for Evil Mages, Caster Level 1 for Necropolis Mages, Good and Neutral Mages - too bad :devil: 20 points. Ice Shard and Bandage in one spell. Need LOS to both models. It's a favorite of Ashkrypt, Arik and Yagun Oog (trust me...I can't remember the last time Pete and I played where it wasn't cast by both of us - Okay, technically it was some time in May 2005 before Reaper Con ::D:)

Life Transfer is a great way to eliminate a grunt - hitting one's w/o Tough is always good and bringing a Stunned model back into the fight, or taking that extra damage off of one of your heavy hitters.

All Archers are Adepts. It came out around the time of 2nd printing, and it should be listed in the .pdf that has all the changes from 1st to 2nd printing.

Life Transfer: 18" Range. Caster Level 2 for Evil Mages, Caster Level 1 for Necropolis Mages, Good and Neutral Mages - too bad :devil: 20 points. Ice Shard and Bandage in one spell. Need LOS to both models. It's a favorite of Ashkrypt, Arik and Yagun Oog (trust me...I can't remember the last time Pete and I played where it wasn't cast by both of us - Okay, technically it was some time in May 2005 before Reaper Con ::D:)

Life Transfer is a great way to eliminate a grunt - hitting one's w/o Tough is always good and bringing a Stunned model back into the fight, or taking that extra damage off of one of your heavy hitters.

Is there a listing of all the spells that can be cast by another faction.. So far the two that I know of are Life Tansfer (now) and Undying Host?