Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Slave Pits of Craclaw

This very disappointing turn of events having most of these high DV grunts becoming adepts , especially when people have puchased more then they can viably use in 1000 to 1500 pt lists . Good thing I'm holding off most of my purchases till after the book is out but I think it might be a nail in the coffin for the game here in Sydney . The kids just won't go for after scraping together enough to purchase a viable army to find out later that they can't use half their troops because they're Adepts and can't afford more to play at 2000 points . Very GWish . :down:

We play at 2000 points, so the damage to me was somewhat mitigated. I have 15 Warriors and in my revamped list I use 11. On the positive side, it allows me to throw in all 6 of my Crossbowmen, on the negative side, it seems like I have to throw in Iks with a full mob unit since I only have two Grunt troop choices.

Yeah, the changes do reek of GW-type practices. Archers to Adepts was fine, but this severely hurt not one, but three standing armies (Reven, Overlords, Crusaders).

Archers to Adepts was fine, but this severely hurt not one, but three standing armies (Reven, Overlords, Crusaders).

IIRC the Reven and Crusader faction books have sub-factions that either let you treat their Warriors (now Adepts) as Grunts or allow you to field an additional troop of them. So owning more than one troop's worth of Warriors should not be as big a deal. They will still have their use. I would like to think that the Overlord book will follow suit.

I highly suggest people wait until the book is out before the screams of "blood murder" and "Reaper is becoming GW" start. Wait until you've got more than forum rumors before you start talking about nails and coffins.

After all, all the adeptified grunts get regruntified in subfactions, so far. And don' the adeptified grunts stay grunts in core book armies anyhow? And aren't core book armies legal? And isn't the "disadvantage" of core book armies the fact that you don't get all the cool new models that you didn't want to shell out for anyway? So isn't this the ANTITHESIS of GW's worst phases?

Given that I bought into Overlords a little over a week and a half ago, starting with 2 boxed sets, 6 spearmen, 6 bondslaves, 6 archers, a pair of Andras, Corvus then a handful of other heroes and such...not exactly pleased to hear about the whole 'warriors beciming Adepts' thing, but then again I'll wait for the book before I get worried about the amount of metal I have invested in Warriors. Since I haven't read or seen a Crusader book yet I don't know about the alternate lists presented in it, so we'll have to see how things go before I get too worked up. I play Warhammer as well and I don't follow the whole 'rumor mill' about what the new armies will have because there is so much speculation that it's simply better to wait until the book is released....then you get the pitchforks out. :devil:

Also since my usual army seems to be around 1500 points I'm not that worried, though after reading the Overlord Survivor stats I'm not exactly thrilled with them overall, I think I'll just get more bondslaves and save a few points per model. The new cleric though, I like him if for no other reason than that he's going to be integrated into my Totem of Battle, him standing behind the Altar of Evil mini.

Now I just need to work on my second Ashkrypt to file off his face so I can put a ::D: in it's place....

Well isn't it best to make ones feelings known now before things are set in stone and can not be changed ? <_<

I agree we should probably be tempering our opinions with the knowledge that there will probably be a sublist that makes the Warriors Grunts. However, even with that people still are going to have to rework lists and buy a whole new set of minis if they don't want to play the sublist. I would also much rather people voice their opinions early as news comes out rather than waiting, keeping quiet, and voicing opinons and problems after it's too late.

Yes, it's great that Reaper so far has always regruntified the newly made Adept warriors in a sublist. But it's kind of like giving with one hand and taking away with the other. We have no idea if said sublist will be any good, I know a lot of Crusader players that are very dissatisfied with their sublists. It's not the same, but it's still troubling.

I think that they should have given these armies what they gave the Nefsokar, their DV 11 Adept was an Adept to begin with. If the Overlord Warriors or Crusader Templars had been Adept to begin with and had already included the Ivy Crown Skirmishers/whatnot it would've been much less of a probelm.

In the end, I'm not sure the Warriors (and probably Survivors as well) are going to stay Adepts for Overlord Faction armies rather than just a sublist. I highly doubt that Reaper is going to leave an army with only Spearmen and Bondslaves for Grunts. I think we'll probably be looking at a points adjustment, though.

My word, what a bunch of whiny gits! And you people call yourselves Overlords... grow a spine!

Obviously our warriors were too powerful and too cheap for the other factions to fight without crying to the Reaper gods for help. Even with their prayers answered, the snivelling factions are no match for our boundless might and treachery.

If you're going to keep crying, I suggest you join one of the factions that welcome such maudlin defeatism.

PS

It was pretty apparent when Templar Knights and Bull Orc Fighters the Overlord Warriors were likely to become adepts as well.

There will no doubt be a sub-faction that includes them as grunts, and if you don't like that just play a Core Rulebook froce.

I know I was pretty upset when the Fighters and Knights got changed, but in hindsight it was for the best, and just look at the Tomukh list, it is perhaps the best list in the game, and while the Army of Justice is fairly narrow in which it's major faction ability works against, if you do come up against an Evil army they are in a world of hurt.

Making such models adepts is one of the things that makes sub-factions so appealing, and also one of the things that helps ad diversity to default army lists.

And as for your claims Brushmaster, as far as I know, most of the kids in the Western Sydney gaming group don't own more than a handful of models, so the notion that they will be unable to use the models they have is pretty unfounded (The two that do own more models are playing factions that are already out, Necropolis, and Tomukh). I'm not making an attack, just simply staing that I think your argument is somewhat unfounded and far fetched.

I look forward to a sub-faction led by General Mattise at the head of a tonne of Overlord Warriors. I can't say this is the sub-faction I will choose. And I've gotten wise enough to know that Reaper was likely to make the Warriors adepts and I too, like alot of people, have held off making purchases until the book comes out.

It was pretty apparent when Templar Knights and Bull Orc Fighters the Overlord Warriors were likely to become adepts as well.

There will no doubt be a sub-faction that includes them as grunts, and if you don't like that just play a Core Rulebook froce.

I know I was pretty upset when the Fighters and Knights got changed, but in hindsight it was for the best, and just look at the Tomukh list, it is perhaps the best list in the game, and while the Army of Justice is fairly narrow in which it's major faction ability works against, if you do come up against an Evil army they are in a world of hurt.

Making such models adepts is one of the things that makes sub-factions so appealing, and also one of the things that helps ad diversity to default army lists.

And as for your claims Brushmaster, as far as I know, most of the kids in the Western Sydney gaming group don't own more than a handful of models, so the notion that they will be unable to use the models they have is pretty unfounded (The two that do own more models are playing factions that are already out, Necropolis, and Tomukh). I'm not making an attack, just simply staing that I think your argument is somewhat unfounded and far fetched.

I look forward to a sub-faction led by General Mattise at the head of a tonne of Overlord Warriors. I can't say this is the sub-faction I will choose. And I've gotten wise enough to know that Reaper was likely to make the Warriors adepts and I too, like alot of people, have held off making purchases until the book comes out.

Well , actually one was thinking about getting into Overlords but was out off when I said to him that the Warriors may become adepts when the book is released , so its not far fetched as you might think ! :blink:

For the sake of game balance, as much as the idea of the Warriors as grunts is appealing, I think having them as adepts in all but the Core book, and a sub-faction is probably for the best. If a player is interested in them I would quickly point out that there are ways to include many overlord warriors in a fighting force if they so desire.

Lets face it folks, Overlord Warriors are perhaps the best soldier model in the game, or at least in very close running along side the Bull Orc fighter. Should the best models, point for point, be available to a player in unlimited fashion without the player at least having to make some sort of sacrifice? (In this case having to select their models from a limited list, and possibly give up certain abilities in favor of others).

I know I cried foul when my beloved Templar Knights were made adept, but they are alot less potent than Overlord Warriors considering their much higher points cost, and I've learned to live with the fact that I can take them in big numbers if I want to field an Army of Justice. It's natural this change is going to make a few people upset, but all in all it will make the game better with the inclusion of a Warrior heavy sub-faction that adds variety to the game.

You know, I would be willing to put away my reptus every now and again for the oppurtunity to play an army with mattisse and his warriors. Throw in a couple of those spearmen, crossbows, and anything else with that cool armor (none of those ucky bondslaves <_<) and I'd have one sweet looking force.

I also want to make a diorama with gerard and matisse gettin ready to throw down. They make a great pair what with both of them having the cool wing things.

And the reptus warriors won't be adepts, neener neener neener. ::P:

I agree, I'd love to see a 'warrior' oriented sub-list, but I'm also not sure how that would work necessarily as the main list is more or less warrior oriented as it is.

I've got 2 boxed sets worth of warriors so as for me, I'll be looking to use lots of them overall, either as adepts in larger games with the main rulebook list or as grunts in some sort of sub-list.

Maybe a sublist with some sort of heavily armored breaker, spearman DV with better Mav as breakers tend to have over warriors and such. :B): That way the whole army can be all suited up in the spiffy armor, maybe with Chevys as an adept model....

Ah, now *that's* wishful thinking.