Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Slave Pits of Craclaw

850 Points.

Well I am not sure what i am supposed to do with ashkrypt once his spells run out.

He ends up standing around holding his.... horns....

I trimmed like 160 points off of him in spells as it is.

Even when his spells run out Ashkrypt fights better than most mid level heros, and should be able to spank a Captain in a fair fight. Of course if you fight fair we're going to drum you out of Craclaw! :devil:

I constantly have to fight the temptation to bring more elites and more spells. It's so tempting with the Overlords.

In a small game, ie under 1000 points, I sometimes skip the Fireball/Firestorm altogether. Ashkrypt should be able to put down 5 or 6 targets with the single kill spells, and depending on how you spend the points, that should cost as much as a single Firestorm. With the points you save you can field more troops, and mass is a magic item all its own.

In a small game, I will often bring Andras instead of Ashkrypt, and then put Arik and Balthon (or Arik and Lola) in his elite slots. Andras fights almost as well as Ashkrypt, Arik casts almost as well, and the combined pair only sets you back 120 points + spells.

PS

I have huge respect for the anti Paladin,

He Cleared out his points and then some!

He cleaved through the wraith assasin was counter charged by gauntfield, thanks to divine Favour didnt take and wounds... on his warmaster defensive strike Cleaved the Undead Scarecrow twain.

Hey kept on easily chewing through the enemy.

I was a little disapointed in the onyx golem, my opponent got the jump on him with a squad of crimson knights. Mauled him up pretty good.

I should probably ask this in the rules forum, but if I am charged by 5 knights and they all make it into contact with the golem. is the support bonus calculated by enemy models in contact with the golem or just models beside the attacking model? if someone could provide me a linky to the explainantion that would be cool as well.

Life Transfer is way up there on my list of all time most usefull spells.

I also fielded lola, she toasted a crimson knight from behind but then got counter charged and killed.

But she survived along time, I ran her behind the onyx golem and some warriors for cover.

Overlord + Flyers

Just noticed this, and thought I'd chime in (not sure if someone else has), but recent Casketworks list the Overlords as getting a Wyvern, so that should solve any concerns about flyers for you.

Has anyone thought of Giving Equipment to thier Onyx Golem.. So Far I am kinda disapointed in the big boy!

I once gave him lesser magic armor.

I've had enormous success teleporting him.

And I've been very successful by keeping someone else in front of the golem. The golem has to land the first blow, because he doesn't have warmaster.

PS

Has anyone thought of Giving Equipment to thier Onyx Golem.. So Far I am kinda disapointed in the big boy!

I once gave him lesser magic armor.

I've had enormous success teleporting him.

And I've been very successful by keeping someone else in front of the golem. The golem has to land the first blow, because he doesn't have warmaster.

PS

Hrm but that is allot of points tied up.. I guess he may make more sense, in larger battles.

Is he allot more survivable if you give him the minor armour. That and cure would work pretty good i Think.

I have another question for y'all.

Do you give magic armour or weapons to your grunts?

I know people use musicians and standard bearers. (on another note do you model in instruments or banners.)

Pete? Is the battle totem worth toting along?

It hasn't worked well consistently.

I try to bring a very melee heavy army when I bring it, and I tend to short magic and Xbows. When I've forced myself to bring a balanced force it's worked out pretty well.

It makes the Iks Mob (Iks, 4 spearmen, 1 warrior musician, 14 bondslaves) a holy terror tho.

PS

Hrm but that is allot of points tied up.. I guess he may make more sense, in larger battles.

Is he allot more survivable if you give him the minor armour. That and cure would work pretty good i Think.

I have another question for y'all.

Do you give magic armour or weapons to your grunts?

I know people use musicians and standard bearers. (on another note do you model in instruments or banners.)

He's a lot of points. I've been playing against the Nefsokar, and that Walking Avatar makes me cry. He's better than the Onyx Golem and 40 points less.

I never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never... never give equipment to grunts. Just get another grunt instead.

PS

It makes the Iks Mob (Iks, 4 spearmen, 1 warrior musician, 14 bondslaves) a holy terror tho.

[snip]

He's a lot of points. I've been playing against the Nefsokar, and that Walking Avatar makes me cry. He's better than the Onyx Golem and 40 points less.

PS

Yes, that Iks mob is scary with the totem. Considering the totem cost 100 points, and to give all those models Lesser Magic Weapon alone would cost you 300, it's pretty good money being spent. Having been swarmed by that mob on several occasions. Not too fun. I think Totems will become interesting choices now that there are a number of fast moving Cavalry (and likely new Flyer) models coming out which can get over there and negate it's effectiveness.

The difference between the Avatar and Golem just makes up for the price reduction of Andras between 1st and 2nd printing ::P: Though I do agree with the difficulty with the Avatar. At least it doesn't have 360!

I almost always bring a totem. I have find it very reassuring when my grunts are stepping up and swinging at your expensive guys, and my grunts are more likely to hit.

I usually bring a little reinforcement type unit to tote my totem around. Maybe a sarge and four reach type units. This way they can carry the totem and when the fighting gets started, they are already in the back ready to do their reach support thing.

I was just looking at the Warbride, and she seems very pricey for the points.

It seems that I would much rather have Lola that the warbride for the same point costs. I dont know if breaker is that usefull.. how about 360?

I like the model... I just want to know if anyone has any good tactics involving the warbride's?

I've never seen the Warbride fielded in all my battles against the Overlords.

It's a pity, because she is a beautiful sculpt. But I can find some much better uses for an Elite slot in the Overlord Faction than her.

I've never seen the Warbride fielded in all my battles against the Overlords.

It's a pity, because she is a beautiful sculpt. But I can find some much better uses for an Elite slot in the Overlord Faction than her.

Hrm just for Fun

Ashkrypt

Fireball

2x Wound Transfer

Ice Shard

2 warbrides

Lola Darkslip

5 x Overlord Crossbowmen

2 x Overlord Warriors

Andras

Warbride

2 overlord Spearmen

3 warriors

and a battle totem.

Comes in at just under 100 points

I could actually switch lola and the third warbride.

I am kinda nervous having just two troops in 1000 points but i have had good success with my warriors and my crossbowmen.

the warbrides are there as a distraction to allow lola to get in place.

I think it could be allot of fun.

Then again all the players in my area ( myself included are pretty new to the game) so I may be able to sneak through some holes that would not be there in the hands of a more experienced player.

I am also thinking of dropping ashkrypt and taking a second captain and more warriors! I mean his spells are nice but with even more wariors I would be that much more deadly.

Andras 1

1 x warbride

6 x crossbowmen

3 x warrior

1 x lola

andras 2

2 x warbride

2x spearman

1 x bondslave

3x warrior

Corvus

3 warriors