Reaperbryan

Dark Font of Thule

I have to say, having had a chance to finally play a Crypt Legion List...

Dark Energy sucks!!! :grr:<_<

That is one brutal Faction SA you've got there. It's even worse when the guy you're playing manages to always roll his 9 or 10.

I would be less annoyed if my opponent didn't seem to make every one of his Tough/1 checks. I made sure to cdg every model that already had Tough, to reduce them to the /1 Dark Energy check. I guess this is how most of my opponents have felt when I have gone against them.

That there is nothing currently available to negate the Dark Energy must definitely be a comfort for all you walking dead men. I'm just hoping something in the Crusader book helps out. I know for certain Sldrdude is hoping for it, since he gets to go up against that Necro army more often than I will.

I'm just hoping something in the Crusader book helps out. I know for certain Sldrdude is hoping for it, since he gets to go up against that Necro army more often than I will.

Isn't this where "Judgement " comes in ! :devil:

Heck, I would even settle for the "need to CdG twice" logic.

My favorite Necro player combines some good die-rolling (he would say he doesn't roll well, in his defense) with some excellent tactics.

The boy is good, and is the primary reason I complain about not currently having decent flanking capibilities (soon to change). He uses his flanking units to devestating effect, and with the ***cough*** low model count I lack the resources to protect both flanks from the solos/wraith.

Oh, and I am not very good at the game. That might have an effect.

Silly undead.

I put together a Crypt Legion list for yesterday's game, knowing that two of my three possible opponents usually play Dwarves. Result -- I'm going to need a lot of dwarven zombies to properly represent my new army composition. :devil: Having a chance to get back up was nice (and my dice cooperated), but the healing was the big thing. A bunch of Piercers had just managed to start hurting Moandain, so I spent a round and a spell healing him back up. He then resumed nuking dwarves.

I think Necromantic Surges + Dark enenrgy combined are the real thing that makes the Crypt Legion nasty, Dark Energy alone isn't all that great. But when your entire army simply gets stunned rather than dying it makes it so much easier for your mages to run around an mass heal your army back onto it's feet.

Moandian with a 3" healing radius capable of bringing a horde of undead grunts back to their feet while healing himself or other characters multiple wounds all at once is one heck of a sweet ability.

I've only used the Vampiric ability once, but boy was it nasty as well, allowing me to come back from what I thought was almost certain defeat after losing half my army to a pair of fireballs and a ton of arrow fire from Dwarves in the first two turns of the game. I did end up losing, but my opponent only had a single model on the field at the end of the game.

O.K. heres my 750 pt. list,(Crypt Legion of course)

Azaphran

Divine Favor

Greater Magic Armor

Moderate Magic Weapon

Nivar the Wraith

Wraith Harvesters(6)

Railor of the Unbodied

Ice Shards

Familiar

Skelatal Archers (6)

Kaena Banshee

Aysa

Greater Magic Enpowernment

While lacking any real heavy punch my strategy revolves around Aysa's Innate Ability to cast Undying Host over and over again. with her CP of 4 then add Greater Magic Enpowernment that takes her CP to 6 plus the fact that she's casting for Friendlies she gets another +2 bonus that takes her to a total of casting of 8 so I can only fail to raise some Spectral Minions on a roll of 1. With some decent rolls I can have a force that will just overwhelm my opponent.

The first card that I get I will hide her on the opposite side of a hill, inside of a building, or somewhere that she can't be easily taken out with Ranged Attack and just start to crank out Spectral Minions. Now granted Scrye Shot can take her out easily but that's risk I take, but I use my other troops to try to get to whatever model has that ability and of course any caster will is a giant bullseye.

Also being that the majority of my army is Non-Coporeal, terrain means little if anything, when you have your mage/cleric hidding safely behind a wall or inside a building means little to someone who can run right through it.

Soooo far the only faction(of the ones that I've played against) that my tactics haven't worked is the Darkspawn with thier Blood Token ability all of the Spectral Minnions just basically keep the Darkspawn going. but besides that I have done extremely well with every game that I've played so far

My only problem with that list is giving Railor a familair, for that point cost you could buy him another 2 ice shards. In fact, with his low CP, buying spells for Railor is a risky proposition. For 30 points I'd just buy another archer, they are just as likely to deal out wounds as the spells you are giving Railor.

I wouldn't invest that many points in Aysa in such a small game, but hey it seems to be working for you. Granted ifyou pulled that army list out against me, if you managed to win one game with that tactic I'd ensure I included units that would get to aysa quickly and make sure she was 170+ points wasted.

I'll have to agree with SE but if you are going with what you've got here's a suggestion :

Drop the familiar and maybe take some Bond Souls to help Aysa cast Spectral Minions! ::D:

here's a suggestion :

Drop the familiar and maybe take some Bond Souls to help Aysa cast Spectral Minions! ::D:

The only real reason Railor in my list is because I needed a cheap Sergeant for my archers and I just gave him the Familiar and Ice Shards for the hell of it. So far except for Darkspawn I haven't lost a 750 pt. battle with this list yet, if I would change anything I would just drop the Familiar and add another Archer.

I have even fought someone with a very similiar list except that my opponent was using Crypt Bats instead of Wraiths and Nivar. He found out that a Non-Coporeal Assassin that can charge srtaight through a wall as well as his support (Wraith Harvesters) and took out his Aysa

Believe me, while you present an interesting army list, their are some serious weaknesses.

1) Aysa is extremely vulnerable to any fast moving troops. Hiding in a building might buy her an extra turn, but hiding behind a hill isn't going save her from cavalry units or flyers (both of which have bonuses to their DV vs. the Archers n your army)

2) Until you can get a number of spectral minions up and running you are fielding an army with extremely low numbers, it wouldn't be even remotely impossible to gain a numerical advantage of 2:1 against your chosen army. And the low quality MAV + DV of your entire army means that you could easily be seriously outclassed (For example I could field a simple army of 26 Bull Orc Fighters, 2 Khargs, 1 Narg or 50 Goblin Warriors for the cost of your army, and I think I'd outclass you in Nearly every respect; manueverability excepted).

3) Reliance upon a mage would be seriously flawed playing against the Nefsokar.

4) A simple Teleport or possibly even a speed spell cast on even a low level hero or Solitaire could counter Aysa easily.

Just some thoughts. If someone lets you beat them with that list more than once they can attribute subsiquent loses to a lack of tactical inginuity on their part.