Reaperbryan

Dark Font of Thule

My Railors usually look like this:

Railor 31

Lesser Empowerment 15

2 x Bind souls 4

4 x Ice Shards 40

= 90 points

Which I admit is alot, but I've used Railor + Necromantic Surges in my Crypt Legion Zombie Army to enough effect to think he is worth it.

Gives me a 60% change to heal one of my Zombies + a 50% toughness roll with the Zombies if I fail, giving me an 80% chance of bringing a Zombie that has become stunned up onto it's feet again.

If i'm lucky and two or three stunned zombies are clustered I can often bring them all back into play.

Granted I have to be very careful with this expensive version of Railor, but so long as I can keep him out of LOS shielded by Zombies my only major worries are things like Scrye Shot, Flyers and other fast moving units.

And if need be I can try a piss poor shot with Ice Shards, which if I'm lucky at the right moment could turn the game for me.

It's not perfect, but I have alot of fun playing with it, and that's what matters in my books.

I'll post my 1000 point Crypt Legion Zombie army since I'm thinking about it:

Kentaur 106

Musician 15

7 x Zombies

Railor 31

Lesser Empowerment 15

2 x Bind souls 4

4 x Ice Shards 40

Musician

8 x Zombies

Railor 31

Lesser Empowerment 15

2 x Bind souls 4

4 x Ice Shards 40

Musician

8 x Zombies

Banshee

Banshee

Essentially the army relies on mob tactics, but the mob advantage only really comes into effect when you start making Toughness rolls and

models start getting back up. The musicians compensate for the Zombies poor movement, and the lack of any hefty characters except Kentaur makes the army fairly simple to use, move up, keep Railors hidden, and try and get as many Zombies on each enemy model as possible, kill model, take casualties, get back up and move to the next model.

Model Count: 28 (not huge, but not low either)

Number of Initiative Cards: 6 (slightly above avareage from my experience)

I actually love the idea, but I think it would be too harsh on the game balance. Necros already have some of the best special abilities in the game(rspecially crypt legion) so summoning them may give a grossly unfair "placement advantage". I know this would be a great solution to not having access to cleri spells (namely teleport) but incorperating it fairly would be VERY difficult. There is already an appropriate number of adepts and skeletons, zombies and wraiths tend to be the bulk of the grunts I use. But I still love the idea. To satisfy my evil undead rising needs, I find the called do quite nicely when they pop up in the middle of the fray.

Good stuff SE. If you can figure a well balanced way to incorperate this let us know and post it.

I think we may have seen something similar to this put in place if summoning was an ability available to the designers at the time of the Necropolis book (just an thought).

I have a hard time commenting right now on how you might implement it and how many points it should cost. My first thought might be to make it part of a special scenario with a couple of Maleks summoning undead to combat an approaching force.

I do agree that the Necropolis have a couple of Nasty abilitites right now, but I don't think they are out of line with abilities like Warcry + Enraged that the Bull Orcs have, or Mercy that the Crusaders are using. It puts them in the premier category or Faction abilities (among the best) but I think all of the factions will end up in that class after the faction books come out.

I don't mind 'The Called' or 'Spectral Minions' but they just arn't quite the feel i'm looking for.

I'll ponder it a bit more, I do think it has promise, even as it's own sub-faction 'Necromancer Horde' with a very limited selection of models something possibly with Malek becoming a 3-10/0 Sgt, with Skeletons, Zombies and possibly Wraiths being available in both regular and 'Summoned' variants. The faction ability would be the ability to choose various troops in their 'Summoned' variants (Maybe at a change of 5 points be model), cast the 'Animate Dead' spell (see below) and perhaps the standard Fear of Undeath ability. The concept being an undead force independent of Judas, Moandain and the Thule Font forces, employed by an independent Necromancer or group of Necromancers (Depends how you want it to take shape you could expand it out to include other Leaders and character, but it would work great as a small unique faction).

Special Faction spell: Animate Dead (Level 2, 20-30 points) allows you to immediatly deploy up to 3 models with the 'summoned(mage)' ability currently being held in reserve.

The list might be expanded or ammended to make Malek a 3-11/1 Captain, include Nivar as a option for a Wraith bodyguard, and add a modified Railor (remove non-corporeal, and add +1 CP while keeping his cost 31) as representation of a low-level Necromancer or apprentice Sergeant.

Necromancer's Horde Sub-list:

The Crypt Legion is a sub-list of the Necropolis, to create a Fighting Company of the Necromancer's Horde, only the models presented below may be taken.

Leaders:

Necromancer (Base Malek add Captain 3-11/1) = 40 points (possibly slightly higher if you consider the Captain adjustment worth an additional points cost)

Necromancer's Apprentice (Base Railor add +1CP and remove both the non-corporeal and undead special ability) = 31 points

Elites:

Nivar

Lord Gauren

Soldiers:

Skeleton Warriors

Summoned Skeleton Warriors = 22 points (Base Skeleton Warrior with 'Summoned(mage)' special ability)

Skeleton Breakers

Skeleton Archers

Zombies

Summoned Zombies = 30 points (Base Zombie with 'Summoned(mage)' special ability)

Wraith Harvesters

Summoned Wraith Harvesters = 24 points (Base Wraith Harvester with 'Summoned(mage)' special ability)

Solos:

Bone Horror

Faction Abilitites:

Fear of Undeath

Unique Spell: Animate Dead

-Casting Grade: 1 (non-attack spell) (Mage, Necromancer's Horde only)

-Points Cost: 20

-Range: 0 (caster)

-Area of Effect: N/A

-# of Models Affected: 1

-Damage: none

-Notes:The Caster may immediatley deploy up to 3 models which have the 'summoned(mage)' ability, and that are currently being held in reserve, as if they had each been individually deployed by the casting Mage using an Invoke Special Ability action in conjunction with their 'summoned(mage)' ability; these models are part of the casting models troop and models added through the casting of this spell may take a Troop over its normal maximum number of Models indicated by the Leader Models Troop size.

Unique Spell: Greater Animate Dead

-Casting Grade: 2 (non-attack spell) (Mage, Necromancer's Horde only)

-Points Cost: 50

-Range: 0 (caster)

-Area of Effect: N/A

-# of Models Affected: 1

-Notes: The Caster may immediately deploy up to 5 models which have the 'summoned(mage)' ability, and that are currently being held in reserve, as if they had each been individually deployed by the casting Mage using an Invoke Special Ability action in conjunction with their 'summoned(mage)' ability; these models are part of the casting models troop and models added through the casting of this spell may take a Troop over its normal maximum number of Models indicated by the Leader Models Troop size.

Unique Spell: Enhance Undead

-Casting Grade: 1 (non-attack spell) (Mage, Necromancer's Horde only)

-Points Cost: 5

-Range: Centered on casting Mage

-Area of Effect: 2' radius

-# of Models Affected: All

-Notes: Adds +1 AV or +1 RAV (caster chooses at the time of casting, although the type of bonus must be the same for all models affected) to all undead models (friendly or enemy) in the Area of Effect conducting Close Combat or Ranged Combat Actions for the remainder of the turn.

Note:

Mage models belonging to the Necromancer's Horde Necropolis sub-list do not gain access to the Nihilismus spell list listed on page 40 of the Necropolis faction book; however, like all other Necropolis Mages they gain access to the spells listed under Necromantic Magic section on page 39 of the same faction book (and as they are a sub-list of the Necropolis faction they cast Undying host as a Level 1 spell).

Additional thoughts:

If I was to include a sub-faction warlord I would lean towards using Valandil as 'Master Nercomancer' base model, change his alignment to Evil, while turning him into a Warlord 3-12/2 and giving him the Vile special ability for roughly a cost of 78 points.

Special Necromancer's Horde Scenario: Grave Robber

** Note: This is a rough draft idea and may need to be tweaked, I'd love to hear some input about whether the ratio of available victory points for each player makes for a balanced scenario, or do they need to be tweaked?

Background: Grave Robber is a scenario that pits one player using a small troop lead by a Necromancer intent on pillaging a local grave yard, against a fighting company rushing to protect their sacred burial ground.

Terrain: Standard 4'x4' set-up with regular deployment zones, for flavor it is reccomended that the Necromancers deployment zone be decorated with the trappings of a burial ground or graveyard, but it is not necessary for game play. Terrain may be deployed as players see fit.

Force Compositions:

Grave Robber

1 Troop

-Necromancer Model with 1 Greater Animate Dead Spell, and 2 Animate Dead Spells, the Necromancer's remaining 4 spell slots may be filled with any additional spells the Grave Robber player sees fit, totaling no more than an additional 50 points (no additional Greater Animate Dead or Animate Dead spells may be purchased).

-Nivar

-3 Skeleton Archers

-3 Skeleton Warriors

-3 Wraith Harvesters

In addition, the Necromancer model has access to an unlimited number of 'Summoned Skeleton Warriors' that represent skeletons being raised from the Graveyard throughout the course of gameplay. These Skeletons may be summoned by the Necromancer through use of Greater Animate Dead or Animate Dead spells included in his initial Troop, or by using an Invoke Special Ability action as per the use of the standard 'Summoned(mage)' ability.

Burial Defender

The Burial defender may take up to 500 points, in a maximum of 3 Troops. This Force is meant to represent local militia defenders, and as such no Warlord models, Elites or Solos of any kind may be included in the Burial Defenders force composition.

Time Limit:

Six Game Turns

Victory Conditions:

The player with the most victory points at the end of 6 turns is the winner, should the Grave Robber Player remove all of the Burial Defenders models from play by the end of the six turn time limit then the Grave Robber player should be declared the victor regardless of which player has the most victory points

The Grave Robber player gains 1 victory point for each Summoned Skeleton that they bring into play.

The Burial Defender gains 1 victory point for each of their ancestors (represented by the Necromancers Summoned Skeletons) which they return to the ground (cause to be removed from play by killing), and an additional 5 vicotry points for killing the Necromancer himself.

Those are some fun and creative ideas that you've posted, SE. I like the idea of necromancers animating undead minions, but I question it from the perspective of its playability: how useful is it to have summoned models? What kind of advantage does it give that player?

I haven't used any summoned models in my games yet, so all I can do is speculate. It seems to me that it would be more useful to have all of your models present on the table at the start of the game rather than having to use an action to summon them. Correct me if I'm wrong and if summoning doesn't require an action (I read the description when it was posted a couple of months ago, but I forget the exact details of how it works).

One application for summoned models that I can see is luring your opponent close to your summoning models and then bringing in the summoned models to surround the enemy models, get rear attacks, disrupt enemy lines/formations, etc. If anyone has any tactical advice on how to use summoned models, I would like to read it. ::):

Summoned models are extremely useful. 1, they can't be attacked until summoned, and 2 they can be summoned within an area of effect. you could for example summon a creature directly into melee and have him attack right away. Using the above animate dead or greater animate dead ideas you could summon 3 or 5 models directly into melee, ie, surround a given model with multiple models and immediately attack. Using the Greater animate dead I've outlinedI could summon 5 skeletons directly into base contact with your Warlord, and they could attack, each attack with at minimum a 1 MAV +4 for supporting models, and no doubt at least one of them would be in the modeals rear for an additional +1, you you'd have 5 attacks at +5 on the enemy Warlord.

I'm not saying you would invest in a ton of summoned models, but perhaps 1/3 of your force could be held in reserve like this. While the remaider of your force would be comprised of regular undead models.

Those 5-10 summoned models could really make your force flexible as well, if you had 2 Necromancers each leading a troop you could hold those 5-10 models in reserve until the battle field began to play out and you began to see where those models were most needed (in otherwords it helps prevent you from having large chunkc of your force out of position).

Lastly, if the animate dead spells allow you to exceed a Leaders maximum troop limits when summoned models are added, you essentially end up with an army that had unlimited 'mob', meaning you can have troops as large as you want so long as you are willing to pay the points for the summoned creatures, pay the points for the spells, and spend the actions to summon them during the game.

As far as I'm aware in order to summon a model the summoning model must use an invoke special ability action. At any rate, casting a spell would take a combat action, so the end result would be similar.

I'd love to hear any other comments? This whole thing was just off the top of my head, but the more I look at it the more I like it, and I'd love to have people give me feedback to help flesh it out.

I'm going to repost the sub-faction in the 'Warlord Rules Discussion' section, so that I don't end up hijacking this thread.

Hijack away, SE. Its Necropolis and its interesting so it fits right in.

Some good ideas presented here and I like the scenario idea. Since it is a rough draft, I will comment on the scoring. If Grave Robber gets 1 point for every summoned critter and defenders get 1 for each summoned hey kill, the grave robber will always win unless it is a one on one full annihilation and then the defender will always lose by dying or win by 5. The scenario idea is solid but the scoring for the game needs some work. Since the Grave Robber has 11 on the field to start, allow victory points to be scored for killing them as well. (1 point for the archers, harvesters and warriors and 2-3 points for dropping nivar and of course 5 for the necromancer,).

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Dr. J

I thought that models that summoned can't attack the round they are summened.

I do think that it is an interesting army list, but you had better protect your Necromancer, because I'll be gunning for him so he can't summon any more of his buddies......

Castlebuilder

I'll have to revisit 'summoned' and see if that is the case, I can't rememeber.

Summoned/[Caster type]

The owner of a Summoned/ creature may choose not to deploy the model as usual during the deployment phase. Activation cards are not added to the deck for any such models kept in reserve. Once play begins a caster of the appropriate type (Mage or Cleric) may use an Invoke Special Ability action to bring the summoned model into play within 2" of the caster provided that the model may not appear in base to base contact with an enemy model. The summoned model may not act this turn and its activation card is added at the end of the current action phase. Summoned models do not leave a corpse behind once removed from battle, so any special abilities that affect corpses (i.e. Vampiric Feeding, Crossing Death's River) are not able to be invoked.

So you're correct you couldn't summon into base-to-base, nor could your attack immediately using the curret mechanic.

However, I could make it a mechanic of the Animate Dead and Greater Animate dead spells that this option is viable (seeing as how that is what I pointed them based on).

I'll have to muttle this over, thanks for pointing it out.

(Posted nearly this same message in the Denelspire thread)

So, I've bought the starter box Crusaders v. Necropolis and I'm totally new to this game. Here's my problem: I stink at strategy and tactics.

I'm the guy in our group who paints everything. I love painting and doing conversions, and building terrain/scenery, but I can field the best-looking army at the table (or if it's an RPG, the baddest monster v. the PCs), but the other guys will paste me with unpainted proxies.

It's dead embarassing, really.

So here's what I want. I want to get a good grasp of what works for other people. Here's the list of the Necropolis models in the box:

Azarphan

Naomi

Skeletal Breakers (9)

Starting with this (admittedly tiny) group of 600pts. What're my strengths & weaknesses? Especially versus Crusaders, which starts with:

Lord Ironraven

Halabarad

Unforgiven (9)

Basically, I want to win against my friends so they'll feel challenged and maybe take an interest in the game. (And buy/paint their own darned minis! )

Advice please! ::):

SE..

I like some of the ideas. But, I don't think this is the appropriate thread to be posting stuff that is not official. You might confuse people, who might write it down thinking it is since it is in this thread.

I had an absolute blast playing a Crypt legion army against Brushmaster's Tomukh Reven force yesterday, I'd fielded the Crypt Legion before a number of times, but this was the largest game I had played with them, and boy was I impressed:

1500 Crypt Legion Force:

Troop 1 (441):

Lord Kentaur (106)

Sir Dauron + Divine Favor (182)

9 x Skeletons (153)

Troop 2 (330):

Railor + Lesser Empowerment + 2 x Bind Souls + 4 x Ice Shards (90)

9 x Zombies (225)

Musician (15)

Troop 3 (330):

Railor + Lesser Empowerment + 2 x Bind Souls + 4 x Ice Shards (90)

9 x Zombies (225)

Musician (15)

Troop 4 (180):

Railor + Lesser Empowerment + 2 x Ice Shards (66)

6 x Wraiths (114)

Troop 5 (219):

Grave Horror (219)

Total Points: 1500, Initiative Cards: 6, Model Count: 39

My Tough/4 Zombies, who rarely failed to get back onto their feet, combined with my Railors casting Necromantic surges to heal my units back up, worked fantastic. I didn't win, we declared the game a draw, but I did fight my way back from a significant deficit caused by Brushmasters archers early on in the game, and I think I was in a great position Near the end of the game, although with a Healthy Varauge still to take on it was anyone's game).

I would seriously urge people to try the Zombies out if they havn't done so yet, 25 point, plus the cost of the musician (a must) makes for a pretty cost effective force, especially when supported by a mage model (Yay Necromantic Surges!).

I have nothing but praise for Sir Dauron, it was the first time I had taken him into the field, and I won't hesitate to take him out again.