Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Dark Font of Thule

Not downing your list (might even try it, just to mix up my opponents :devil: ), just noting the differences in tactics with player to player, opponent to opponent.

Keana seems like a good investment, but I just haven't had a chance to field her effectively yet. Maybe on the next week or two.

As for the Kentaur and Dauron tag team, I have decimated squads with that pairing (although it was Dwarves, and the look of supprise when Bane doesn't work. :devil::B): )

As for Railor, I understand why you put LME on them, and use them as healers. I also use mine as healers. Nothing like an archer unit going down and comming right back the next round. Only Bull orcs can do that.

Just for 30 points I'd give Moandain a G.F. and use that for Surge. (Still waiting for official word if this is available, but since you can use the G.F. for all other magic effects...). This gives Moandain the maneuverability to get aroung the battlefield and cast his spells/heal and be protected by a screen that can only be overcome with Scry Shot. Though I tend to add alot more to my Moandain, so I try to protect him more.

But LME on Railor gives an extra 10% chance your healing will work so it does make sense.

Anyway. Good list. I'll try it out and see how it works in this area. Not that some of my opponents would appreciate ANOTHER Crypt Legion list after they've gotten used to the one I field.

Jareth

Heck, even in a 1000 point game it's often worthwhile, not just in higher point games.

2 Models with Moderate Magic weapon and 2 with Lesser Magic weapon = 90 points. Why not just pay 10 more and give everyone in the army +1 instead? Granted, it's not super likely you will give 4 guys in a 1000 point army a magic weapon, but still...much better trade off.

Especially if you're playing in a mob based army (my example will be in a 1000 point list).

I'm going to use Goblins, since it is what I know, but the same can apply to your ZOmbie and Skellie hoardes. 15 points apiece. If I have Neek with 24 of them, that is going to cost me 375 points if I want to give every one of them a Lesser Magic Weapon. That one troop costs 789 points.

Or, I buy the totem: 24 Goblins (360) + Neek (54) + totem (100) = 514 points. Same result, save 275 points.

Since we're talking Necropolis, you can look at doing similar things with your Skellies. Since they don't start at MAV 0, you'll be even better off.

And, models with SA: Beast cannot be given equipment. but they do gain the +1 MAV bonus from a Totem. Something else to think about.

Keana seems like a good investment, but I just haven't had a chance to field her effectively yet. Maybe on the next week or two.

Jareth

You might be better off fielding two banshees. If you only have one, it can get picked off before it earns its points. It's hard to do that twice, however, and the 2nd banshee will often pay for both of them.

I've recently gotten this effect from Assassins. I've used Lola Darkslip many a time, and sometimes she's spectacular, and sometimes she gets destroyed before she gets started. I've recently begun pairing Lola with Nivar the Wraith, and everyone still targets Lola often killing her before she breaks even. But that means no one is attacking Nivar, and he's ripped enormous holes in people's armies.

PS

I find Lurgh to be too expensive for anything other than large games and Lola takes an elite spot in the Overlords who have far better elites than she. As for the Banshee, I take three in 1000 points and more in higher games. BEST SOLO IN THE GAME.

I find Lurgh to be too expensive for anything other than large games and Lola takes an elite spot in the Overlords who have far better elites than she. As for the Banshee, I take three in 1000 points and more in higher games. BEST SOLO IN THE GAME.

If you think Overlords have better elites than Lola, you've never seen her kill 400+ points by herself...

PS

Never have. But you'd be hard-pressed to convince me to drop Airik or Ymrillix or Balthon to work her in. I'm open to hearing the argument, but I love those guys.

I've never really gotten to use Nivar in battle. Kelcore keeps running him down.

That's because no one's allowed to have a rogue or assasin on the board but me. Didn't you read that part of the rulebook? ::P:

Never have. But you'd be hard-pressed to convince me to drop Airik or Ymrillix or Balthon to work her in. I'm open to hearing the argument, but I love those guys.

That's what Andras is all about. You don't need to drop one of them!

Pop some Life Transfers on Arik, team him, Lola, and Andras with a few grunts, and let Lola work. She's so cheap compared to Ym, and yet she gets a pair of +6s with no retaliation. It's all about the points. Ym is 158 +equipment, Arik doesn't leave the house at less than 138, and Balthon is 131 bare minimum. But Lola is all kinds of pain for 81 (66 + lesser magic armor) or 86 (using Imp Pro).

But Nivar alone has the same problem. By himself, he gets targetted. But paired with Lola, well, no one looks at him twice until she's dead. And by then its too late.

PS

I've never really gotten to use Nivar in battle. Kelcore keeps running him down.

That's because no one's allowed to have a rouge or assasin on the board but me. Didn't you read that part of the rulebook? ::P:

stoopid hound

Just for 30 points I'd give Moandain a G.F. and use that for Surge. (Still waiting for official word if this is available, but since you can use the G.F. for all other magic effects...). This gives Moandain the maneuverability to get aroung the battlefield and cast his spells/heal and be protected by a screen that can only be overcome with Scry Shot. Though I tend to add alot more to my Moandain, so I try to protect him more.

Necromantic Surges arn't spells so I'd highly doubt they can but used through Gruesome Familairs (Clearly you can't use familiars to retain them, and I'm pretty sure you couldn't use the Familiars location either), they are an Invoke Special Ability action, despite requiring you to make caster checks.

I have actually never fielded a totem, and to be honest I'm not sure I ever will, I'd almost always rather have a few more grunts on the the table to get more attacks, and to help hold up my opponent than having better attacks. That being said, I rarely ever field alot of Magic Weapons, so maybe that is why the totem doesn't appeal to me.

Since we're talking Necropolis, you can look at doing similar things with your Skellies. Since they don't start at MAV 0, you'll be even better off.

Yeah, we are talking Necropolis, git your scrawny Goblin rump out of out of our tactics forum ::D:

Have replied in 'It ain't easy being Green"

That's because no one's allowed to have a rouge or assasin on the board but me. Didn't you read that part of the rulebook? ::P:

stoopid hound

AMEN!

stoopid Judgement :grr::down:

Necromantic Surges arn't spells so I'd highly doubt they can but used through Gruesome Familairs (Clearly you can't use familiars to retain them, and I'm pretty sure you couldn't use the Familiars location either), they are an Invoke Special Ability action, despite requiring you to make caster checks.

That's why we are waiting for an official word. Maybe I'll repost in the rules section. I can't seem to find the original thread.

As for a totem, I've only fielded one once. But since, as a player, when I see something like that on the board tend to target it. Either try and keep a couple of mini's near it (sacrificial mini's) just to keep the bonus down, or have a few whiz on the alter (defile). For 6 loot actions though, that's alot of whizzing. Thank goodness one of our Dwarf players is using the Dwarven Brewers for his totem. :devil:::D:::P:

Jareth

Ive never seen a model knock off 400+ points of enemy models.

In one game Lola killed Gurm, loaded with equipment, Varaug, put a point on Yagun Oog, and kiled 3 grunts. I did heal her twice, and threw a point of damage on Gurm with a spell. But the rest was all Lola, baby. And she was still alive at the end of the game.

Nothing like killing without taking Defensive Strikes.

PS