Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Dark Font of Thule

Sergeants for the Necropolis is a bit of a weird affair. Elkar and Sir Gadrun, I think, are a little too expensive for their lack of killing power (although they are very mobile), Railor is very fragile (but a great cheap sgt for archers or so, and he can carry bind souls for Aysa if you go that route), but Athak is ok. If his sculpt were a little more appealing I'd get a second or even third copy of him, to be honest. Right now I often use captains, since I like all 3 of them, but Athak is a fine value officer.

I like the alternate/second sculpt of Athuk better, though the "Tongue Shield" is a little weird for my taste. (I smell a conversion on the wind :;): ) I'm thinking he'll be my first Sgt. Railor may be my 2nd one. I might give him a couple Ice Shards and stick him with some skeletal archers as ranged support. Make sense?

It seems a decent plan, although consider the chance of Railor actually landing an Ice Shard... The poor thing only has CP3!

Sergeants for the Necropolis is a bit of a weird affair. Elkar and Sir Gadrun, I think, are a little too expensive for their lack of killing power (although they are very mobile), Railor is very fragile (but a great cheap sgt for archers or so, and he can carry bind souls for Aysa if you go that route), but Athak is ok. If his sculpt were a little more appealing I'd get a second or even third copy of him, to be honest. Right now I often use captains, since I like all 3 of them, but Athak is a fine value officer.

I like the alternate/second sculpt of Athuk better, though the "Tongue Shield" is a little weird for my taste. (I smell a conversion on the wind :;): ) I'm thinking he'll be my first Sgt. Railor may be my 2nd one. I might give him a couple Ice Shards and stick him with some skeletal archers as ranged support. Make sense?

It seems a decent plan, although consider the chance of Railor actually landing an Ice Shard... The poor thing only has CP3!

Except for the points, giving him Undying Host might be cool. Have him spit out some minions.

My Railors:

Railor = 31

Bind Souls x 2 = 4

Lesser Enhancement = 15

Ice Shard x 4 = 40

Total = 90 points

Yes, it seems hefty, but I only play this Railor variant in a Crypt Legion army, and I use him specifically as a Healer dumping his Ice SHard spells into Necromantic Surges. I have occasionally had cause to fire off an Ice Shards, but I usually use it as a mop up spell on characters who are down a couple of wounds and therefore have low MD.

I've yet to have investing the 90 points in Railor really backfire on me, although I have to admit I usually have 2-3 of them on the board, and very very often they are accompanied by Zombies.

Beyond that I would be hesitant to include many spells on Railor in a standard default Crypt Legion force, but he is a cheap cheap Sergeant.

I've picking the brains of the Denelspire folks about building up my Crusaders from what comes in the starter box, so I figured I'd do the same over here for the starter Necropolis models. The starter box comes with: Azarphan, Naomi, and 9 Skeletal Breakers (+spells and equipment) for 600 pts. I also have a few loose skeletal archers and 1-2 skeletal warriors left from some blister packs I bought for RPG purposes (some were converted into piles of bones for scenery).

What do people recommend for building up to 750? 1000? 1500?

While Moandain is nice, I find that I cannot easily take the field without Judas. Since the additoion of Vampiric abilities and Evil Healing, Judas is just too good to leave behind. For you next purchase, I would sugges the basic Necropolis box as that is a nice fit for the starter you have. Also, get a couple banshees and you'll see what havoc they can create.

I have to sooooooo agree about the Banshees, but using Moandain, Aysa and Railor gives you the option of not only your spells, but both Dark energy and Necromatic Surges. Sacrifice a spell, head the dead. Very good in a crypt legion where nothing leaves the table right away.

It's a playstyle thing. I hated usingf Judas before the heaing came in the faction book. Now I prefer that to the magical style of Moandain. I love the combined arms ability of the Base List plus the idea of Vampires wading in and healing using dead enemy troops rather than spells we spent points on. Not only that, but you have to make casting checks so using low level casters is dicey and using high level casters may take them out of position or otherwise mess you up. Thevamp ability is something I'd do anyway and it costs nothing and the requirement is that I stun an opponent and then coup him.

Both are fun, Judas is just more fun for me. ;) He's won me A LOT of battles.

Edit: Does it say anywehere that using the Surge ability is an invoke special action thingy?

I agree both have worked very well for me. I guess I could say I loke both options depending on how I intend to fill out the rest of my list. You are totally right, Ranz, its a play style thingy.

It's a playstyle thing. I hated usingf Judas before the heaing came in the faction book. Now I prefer that to the magical style of Moandain. I love the combined arms ability of the Base List plus the idea of Vampires wading in and healing using dead enemy troops rather than spells we spent points on. Not only that, but you have to make casting checks so using low level casters is dicey and using high level casters may take them out of position or otherwise mess you up. Thevamp ability is something I'd do anyway and it costs nothing and the requirement is that I stun an opponent and then coup him.

Both are fun, Judas is just more fun for me. ;) He's won me A LOT of battles.

Edit: Does it say anywehere that using the Surge ability is an invoke special action thingy?

It is an Invoke Ability action.

As for Judas, yes very nice. I have a 1500 point all vamp list, plays well enough, though I would like to see vamp archers. Maybe 44-50 points and Marksman, Tough/1, Volley. And an Archer Sergeant would be nice, but oh, well. I manage.

Jareth

Now as for lists, here is my 1000 Tourney list. This is the one I have been fielding for the last 10 or so games. Works rather well.

Kentaur w/ chilling Aura

Nivar w/ chilling aura

5 skeleton warriors

Azarphan w/ chilling aura

5 skeleton warriors

Railor w/ Bindsoulsx2 and Fearx2

5 Wraith Harvesters

Railor w/ Bindsouldx2 and Fearx4

5 Skeleton Archers

Aysa w/ GME, Bindsouldx5, Dispelx2, Boltx2, and Convulsive Fearx1

I add a Bone Horror and a few other things I can't recall right now for a 1500 point game.

I know people say bad things about Aysa, but I have had an opponent fold in 2 seperate games because there were 10-15 Specrtal Minion on the board.

I also have tried Aysa with a Gruesome Familiar, just for the mobility of summoning anywhere on the board. Of course, when I do that I load up on the Fear spells. Effectively 5 points for a DT for the Familiar.

Jareth

I myself swear by using Aysa and I am glad to finally see a list where every leader and elite has chilling aura. (IMHO one of the best bits of equipment) Aysa is alot more efficient than Naomi in a list with Judas. Greusome familier is pretty much a requirement in my lists. Good stuff. Nice list Jareth.

Ok, I've been thinking "Gee, I don't often field Warlord, they're simply too pricey" so I sat down and made up a couple of 2000 point army lists that forced me to use Moandain and Judas.

So I'm putting out a call for 2000 point Necropolis army lists too see what everyone else comes up with

Here is mine:

2000 Point Crypt Legion Army

Troop 1:

Moandain/166

+Chilling Aura/5

+Lesser Magical Armor/15

+Divine Favor/10

+2xLife Transfer/40

+1xDispel Magic/25

+1xFirestorm/75

+2xDrain/10

+2xShockwave/30

2xLord Gauron/84

3xWraith Harvesters/57

6xSkeleton Warriors/102

=604 points

Troop 2:

Lord Kentaur/106

+Chilling Aura/5

Sir Dauron/172

+Chilling Aura/5

6xSkeleton Warriors/102

=390

Troop 3:

Railor/31

+Lesser Empowerment/15

+2xBindsouls/4

+4xIce Shards/40

9xZombies/225

+Musician/15

=330

Troop 4:

Railor/31

+Lesser Empowerment/15

+2xBindsouls/4

+4xIce Shards/40

9xZombies/225

+Musician/15

=330

Troop 5:

Sir Gadrun/70

4xDeathriders/184

=254

Troop 6:

Kaena, Banshee/45

=45

Troop 7:

Kaena, Banshee/45

=45

Points = 1998

Cards = 9

Models = 45

Not a bad list S.E.

I tend to put Douron with Moandain and give HIM the Divine Favor. Since he's usually running interferance for Moandain, putting the D.F. on him really throws some players for a loop. (What do you mean your Warlord doesn't have D.F? :huh: )

I'm not too convinced on the Banshee yet. Tried her a couple of time and she failed miserably. Will continue to try though.

Just bought the Grave Horror mini. Looking forward to trying Burrow out (don't own any Called yet), but 219 points really hurts.

Personally, I don't equip much gear on Railor. For the 30 points you put with Lesser Empowerments I'd rather field a Gruesome Familiar for Moandain. But I think it's a style thing. Having "Little Death" running around the fiels on a base of his own just looks cool. :B):

One nasty tactic for vamps is to field Naomi with 2 Dance of the Blood Wyrm. Yes I know it causes a DT to cast, but not if SHE's the one with Divine Favor. THAT really through an opponent, especially since she had a G.F. too. She stayed in the woods and just cast from the Familiar. One casting uses the D.F. and the second (if you need it) takes a DT off. By that time she just uses Scry Shot the rest of the game and the Familiar runs around Looting. :devil:

Just some thoughts

BTW, thanks for the thumbs up on my list. Worls well so far.

Jareth

I'm not too convinced on the Banshee yet. Tried her a couple of time and she failed miserably. Will continue to try though.

SHe is hit or miss, let's face it, she is fragile for sure, but I've had the 45 point Banshee easily take out several hundred points worth of opponents Grunts several times. If you're lucky/smart you'll keep her hidden and poised for action and then activate her and move her out of cover to blowthrough at the end of a turn (Hopefully doing at least her points worth of damage in models, shoot for grunts she isn't a character killer). If you're lucky you will get the first card in the next turn (multiple Banshees = multiple cards to the initiative deck) and be able to strike again before your opponent gets a chance to manuever or activate, this is where she can really pay off, shooting and then pulling back.

I swear by the Banshee, I've had her faulter a few times, but in the end she is only 45 points, so it is hardly a disaster if you lose her without doing any damage. I know most of the Necropolis players here on the board are quick to put in a good word about her, I'm no different.

Personally, I don't equip much gear on Railor. For the 30 points you put with Lesser Empowerments I'd rather field a Gruesome Familiar for Moandain. But I think it's a style thing. Having "Little Death" running around the fiels on a base of his own just looks cool. :B):

Ok, I equip Railor specifically like this in nearly all of my Crypt Legion armies, and I use him exclusively as a healer for my grunts by employing Necromantic surges. 90 points is steep I admit, but I've rarely found him to be cost ineffective, so long as I keep him well hidden. More than once a Railor has swooped over at a critical time to heal a model for me that eventually leads to me winning the game. the 2-4 Railors I field in my armies are my 'Clerics'.

I'm impressed by the Gruesome familiar to a certain degree, although I have to admit I have yet to field one.

One nasty tactic for vamps is to field Naomi with 2 Dance of the Blood Wyrm. Yes I know it causes a DT to cast, but not if SHE's the one with Divine Favor. THAT really through an opponent, especially since she had a G.F. too. She stayed in the woods and just cast from the Familiar. One casting uses the D.F. and the second (if you need it) takes a DT off. By that time she just uses Scry Shot the rest of the game and the Familiar runs around Looting. :devil:

Biggest problem I see with this tactic is that it would only work against Nefsokar, and Necropolis forces, seeing as how Blood Wyrm affects only undead models.

I tend to put Douron with Moandain and give HIM the Divine Favor. Since he's usually running interferance for Moandain, putting the D.F. on him really throws some players for a loop. (What do you mean your Warlord doesn't have D.F? )

I actually very often put Divine favor on Sir Dauron, but in this case I can't justify not putting it on Moandain, because I want to ensure he'll live long enough to get at least a few of his spells into play, he is pushing 400 points in this army list, so he is a very hefty investment. Dauron + Kentaur make a great pair, so I see their unit as a strike force, supported on either side by a Railor led Zombie unit, that way (as I said before) either of the Railors can come into the rescue if there is trouble and start healing, or in the event of a real mess Moandain can wade in and bring a ton of models back to life with his 3" radius Necromantic surge, and a massive amount of spells sacrificed. In fact this would be a large part of my plan, baiting my opponent into coming in, and sacrificing a large number of models a take out a large number of my models, which I would in turn Necromantic Surge back onto their feet. Unlike Warcry and other spells Necromantic Surges don't bring stunned enemy models back onto their feet as well, so it is a viable tactic; so long as you can keep Moandain and the Railors healthy and in the proper position.

Ok, I equip Railor specifically like this in nearly all of my Crypt Legion armies, and I use him exclusively as a healer for my grunts by employing Necromantic surges. 90 points is steep I admit, but I've rarely found him to be cost ineffective, so long as I keep him well hidden. More than once a Railor has swooped over at a critical time to heal a model for me that eventually leads to me winning the game. the 2-4 Railors I field in my armies are my 'Clerics'.

Yes , I can attest to SE's use of Railors ! Damn Necromatic surges ! :down:::P: