Reaperbryan

In the Depths of Arkturile

Life Transfer is a Casting level 2 spell for non-Necropolis, Evil Mages.

I highly recommend it for any evil spell caster, especially if you either lack a decent Cleric, or you are not planning to field one.

For those not familiar with it, it is effectively Ice Shard w/ 18" Range, and Bandage w/ 24" range wrapped up into a single spell. It costs 20 points and is a level 2 spell. For Necropolis Mages, it has the same cost, but is a level 1 spell.

I'm going to chime in that I finally got my Dark Spawn starter at Gen Con along w/Ashakia and some archers. I've been playing with my friend, and as he/we are still learning some things, I've been setting up the army lists. One thing I've noticed is that its better to put Archers with the Witch Queen, keep her more to the back and have her fling spells while the archers, well, archer. Nasithe is a good defense against flyers/burrowers that might try to get through so I keep those two together. As for Javolith, I put a bunch of warriors with him and have them go to town :)

Currently I'm waiting on my Javolith and Spawn models to come in, other than that I'm looking at the Paintenders as well, but I'm not sure which of the other solos I might want to consider. Any advice? Criticisms?

I usually put my crossbowmen with Ashkrypt, which has a similar play. It works fairly well. Just remember to keep retreating as the enemy closes in.

I'd recommend at least one or two warriors (or paintenders, or whatever) as well, just to keep Nasithe from getting surrounded and mauled. Bad as she is, 3 or 4 Crusader Knights around will ruin her day.

PS

I only take Life Drain if there is a model worth healing on the board. Anyone like Javolith, Rauthorus, Chaos Spawn(especially this guy) Ashakia, Guros, and such. Think Multiple DTs and over 75 points. Otherwise I don't see it worth the risk/reward.

I also prefer to toss it on Guros, Ashakia or your favorite flying caster Rauthorus; While in flight they can see all, giving them a chance to hit a wounded target(better chance for the spell to go off) and giving them a better selection of who they can heal from your troops.

On Archers and Mages:

I have to agree that I don't really like having archers in my Witch Queen(or other mages) troops. There are a few reasons for this.

One, I am much more daring with my archers than I am with my mages. I will stick my archers necks out if it means gaining a Pain Token early in the game. Mages on the other hand have to survive a long time to make sure you get off their deadly spells, and wait for the perfect moment that your enemy is in position for that fireball/firestorm.

Also, I like to somewhat balance the points of all my troops, putting mages and archers together leaves you begging for your card to come up, and once you use that one, all the other cards are less meaningful. I like each card to pack an equal punch.

Lastly, you need melee grunts if you really expect to defend a mage. Even an elite such as Nasithe can't fight off a cheap troop, and once they are in melee the queen is going down. Now, Nasithe with a few warriors will send many a troop running with their tails under their legs, especially when that Scare is cast right before they engage... :)

On Rauthuros:

Chaz Elliot is sculpting the Great Demon. Last I heard it was going to be one really big model, and Chaz scuplts never dissapoint. So prepare to be amazed.

Oh, and welcome to Darkspawn.

I only take Life Drain if there is a model worth healing on the board. Anyone like Javolith, Rauthorus, Chaos Spawn(especially this guy) Ashakia, Guros, and such. Think Multiple DTs and over 75 points. Otherwise I don't see it worth the risk/reward.

I also prefer to toss it on Guros, Ashakia or your favorite flying caster Rauthorus; While in flight they can see all, giving them a chance to hit a wounded target(better chance for the spell to go off) and giving them a better selection of who they can heal from your troops.

On Archers and Mages:

I have to agree that I don't really like having archers in my Witch Queen(or other mages) troops. There are a few reasons for this.

One, I am much more daring with my archers than I am with my mages. I will stick my archers necks out if it means gaining a Pain Token early in the game. Mages on the other hand have to survive a long time to make sure you get off their deadly spells, and wait for the perfect moment that your enemy is in position for that fireball/firestorm.

Also, I like to somewhat balance the points of all my troops, putting mages and archers together leaves you begging for your card to come up, and once you use that one, all the other cards are less meaningful. I like each card to pack an equal punch.

Lastly, you need melee grunts if you really expect to defend a mage. Even an elite such as Nasithe can't fight off a cheap troop, and once they are in melee the queen is going down. Now, Nasithe with a few warriors will send many a troop running with their tails under their legs, especially when that Scare is cast right before they engage... :)

On Rauthuros:

Chaz Elliot is sculpting the Great Demon. Last I heard it was going to be one really big model, and Chaz scuplts never dissapoint. So prepare to be amazed.

Oh, and welcome to Darkspawn.

I like what you are saying, it is good advice. Currently, I don't have that many models to make too large of an army, that and I don't have the models for it yet either. I should be getting myself Javolith and the Spawn this weekend, but when building two armies at once, it can be slow going. As for archer agressiveness, I tend to lean towards attrition, so more movement while mowing things down.

As for Drain Life, I see its value more in a spell that has a dual purpose. In many instances, there will be several models w/multiple DT's, it doesn't matter how good or worthwhile they are, 20 points takes a DT which is the main purpose, and then you have the option of bolstering another model back up a point. Yes there are other spells that either cost less or can be cast defensively, but I think that having this option, to do both, is a significant benefit as it gives us bad guys a chance to heal. The main thing to remember is the hurting and pain, and if one of our boys (or girls) can get a cookie out of the deal, then it works for me :devil:

And thank you for the warm welcome, its good to be here :) And I can't wait for a Rauthuros model 8)

Life transfer is also very useful for getting Stunned models back up and active.

You don't have to use the healing solely on your multiple DT guys. Sometimes it's useful to have a model in the mix of things suddenly getting back up, and not having to risk the chance of a 20% success Tough check (or in my case, waking up the enemy with your Warcry)

I agree that can be a very good use for the spell. It's all very situational, if the mage is in danger you get the spell off no matter what, and there are times when a Pain Tender getting up means more than healing Javolith.

Like I was saying before, these are things I do personally.

I do take several Life Drains when I field the Choas Spawn(or two). He only has 2 DTs, so when he gets hit, it cuts his power down to half, and he is a hard one to hit. So I think that regaining that lost DT is usually more important than spending it on a grunt.

Now if I have a model down several damage tracks, I usually opt for the grunt instead. Why restore a 4DT model to 50% of it's utility, when you can heal a grunt back to 100% of it's utility.

What do you guys think of a Mage heavy force, like Queen + 2 Pain Mages, Guros + Mage. Of course fill the gaps with whatever grunts of your choice. I think loading up the mages with Ice Shards and a few high point spells along with a scare on a few could be tough. 5 spells/round would be hard to defend against, not to mention whatever solos you toss in there, Ashakia, or the Corrupted Elf.

I think a mage heavy force could be devastating, but it would have to be at high point games. I don't think I would ever give Aundine any spells. Her casting power is just too low.

Mage Heavy Forces aer phenominally fun. I can remember getting off 4 fireballs in the first round of a game and reaking havoc on the moral of the other player. I think his quote when I got to the fourth was some thing on the lines of "How many of those do you have." I wraked up tons of pain tokens and from their I merely mowed down the rest with lighter spells, arrows and melee and was able to raise many a grunt with pain tokens. Spells are simply fun, plus a witch Queen with Greater magical empowerment hits most things without a role and even tough to hit models are easy with a casting power of 10.

only big difficuty i would worry about would be the longer range archers. since they will be shooting from farther away than the reach of your spell there may be a problem. it only takes one lucky 10 to seriously mess up a mage's casting power.

then again messing up archers is what grunts are for.

Hi,

I am seriously thinking about starting to play Warlord. I am looking at the Darkspawn and was wondering if someone could give me a good well rounded 1000 point list. That way I have something to look at when I start buying models ::):

Welcome dneff23!!

Javolith 85

Thusia 43

LME 15

Fireball 50

Bolt 20

Scare 10

Ice Shard*2 20

Broken Fodder*5 120

Paintender*4 120

Musician 15

Vysa 25

Archer*9 378

With the final 99 points you can either take 2 Soultenders, Aundine w/LMA, or Vysa and 3 warriors. I like Aundine for assasin, I like Soultenders for the extra card, and I like Vysa and warriors to protect mage or archers while the other grunts attack aggressivly.

Don't know how well rounded it is as I have yet to try it, but it has a little of everything and it should give you an idea of where to start.

I'm really glad to see that our Faction is starting to see some some action out of the field.

I don't think I would ever give Aundine any spells. Her casting power is just too low.
I wouldn't give her more than 2 spells, but I think her mage gives her an edge over some other assassins. She can try to charge, and if she can't make it she can hit them with an Ice Shard; or take down a grunt before they can reach you too attack.

That CP 3 against MD 10 has a better chance to hit than a MAV 1 against DV 10, and the spell comes with 18".(Comparing low CP to average MD, and low MAV to average DV)

I think having their own Faction box set becoming available this past August will help spread the message that "Pain is Temporary [for you if you bring it to others], and the Witch Queen digs scars."

... and the Witch Queen digs scars."

Scars you say? Hrm, she is a pretty lil thing, but is it worth self mutliation?

I think having their own Faction box set becoming available this past August will help spread the message that "Pain is Temporary [for you if you bring it to others], and the Witch Queen digs scars."

--------------------

It's good to see young people interested in Pain